CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2006, 09:36 PM
Hope

Default Catholics are not Christians?

I'm not sure where I should put this. This is kind of funny in a twisted sort of way.

My sister was shopping for a bible for our neice. She went to a big chain Christian store and when she couldn't find what she was looking for, she found a clerk. My sister said, "Can you help me? I'm looking for a Catholic edition of the bible for an eight year old." The clerk tossed her nose in the air and acted insulted, replying, "We do not sell Catholic bibles here--this is a Christian bookstore!" If you knew my sister, you would know she is usually very quick witted and not afraid to give someone her opinion of them. But she was actually at a loss for words this time.

Exactly where do other denominations think their bibles come from? And if they believe Catholics aren't Christians, then what do they think we are? I am guessing that most denominations understand that Catholics are indeed Christian, still the ignorance out there is unbelievable.
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Some Protestants would like to forget that they are offshoots from the Catholic Church. They like to pretend that they are merely recovering the faith of the early Church. So sometimes they are a bit hostile toward Catholicism, otherwise they would have to consider that they may have taken a wrong turn.

Ron
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:17 AM
Mario

Default Re: Protestants

Eternity,

A number of Protestants don't even like to be called that; they resent being associated with mainline churches who they consider apostate. So if these Bible-believing Christians believe a lot of mainline Protestants are off the mark, think how hopeless they must think Catholics are. Some even consider the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon from the Book of Revelation.

So these separated brethren need our love, prayer. and unflinching confidence in the True Faith to give them pause to wonder.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!
Old 5th August 2006, 02:27 AM
VeiledProphetess

I just came across a site called For Catholics Only, and its mission is to "win Catholics over to Christ." It included the story of a woman who stated "I am a Christian, and my husband is Catholic." She was encouraged to pray that the Spirit would open her husband's heart to the truth. I am just picturing husbands and wives all over the world praying for each other's conversion. I only know that Christ does not want there to be a variety of denominations; he prayed that we all be one.
Old 5th August 2006, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiledProphetess
I just came across a site called For Catholics Only, and its mission is to "win Catholics over to Christ." It included the story of a woman who stated "I am a Christian, and my husband is Catholic." She was encouraged to pray that the Spirit would open her husband's heart to the truth. I am just picturing husbands and wives all over the world praying for each other's conversion. I only know that Christ does not want there to be a variety of denominations; he prayed that we all be one.
So they assume that their ideas are correct and everyone else is wrong. This is a mistake that Catholics often make within Catholicism.

But it is the non-Catholic Christians who will repent and convert,
and much sooner than most people realize.
In the mid 2010's, during the great famine, they will begin to desire
a return to unity with the Catholic Church; then, as things progress,
the actual restructuring of the Church will take place in the early
2020's, amid many hardships but at the end of the famine.
This is just like the parable of the Prodigal Son, who left his
family, but then repented during a famine. Upon his return,
there was a great feast.

Ron
Old 5th August 2006, 04:06 AM
themilitantcatholic

Ron, When this time comes (when the non-Catholic Christians repent and convert.) If I'm still around; I will welcome them to the Church with open arms, yet I'll choose to remain silent rather than converse with them. Reason being; the day that they become Catholic, they will talk as if they know everything there is to know about Catholicism. Once a Protestant, always a 'know it all'. Thats what I say. And you haven't heard the last of themilitantcatholic.
Old 5th August 2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

It is sometimes a problem when a Protestant minister or teacher of the faith converts and becomes Catholic, and then he continues to act as a teacher of the faith without any time spent living the Catholic faith before teaching it.

Those Protestant converts who do not immediately take up a role teaching Catholicism, though, usually do quite well. They have a certain enthusiasm for the faith that some cradle Catholics lack.

I think fundamentalist Protestants may have the hardest time converting.

Ron
Old 5th August 2006, 12:03 PM
Padraig

If someone here asks ma, 'Are you a Christaian?' I always say that I am, though they mean, are you 'born again?'

If they want the right answer then they should ask the right question.
Old 5th August 2006, 10:53 PM

Default Catholic/Christian/Born-again

Man, I look forward to the day when they all 'come back home.' If they're all like Scott Hahn, we'd have no problems. I know of a few people who will definitely be dragging their feet, though.

Not Born-again but Christian AND Catholic,
Joey

PS - I teach in a Catholic grade school....I ALWAYS present Catholics as Christians, along with Protestant religions, underscoring the word CHRIST in the word Christian. But correct me if I'm wrong....Mormons and Jehoveh Witnesses are NOT Christian, correct?(or Amish?)
Old 6th August 2006, 12:25 AM
Mario

Default Re: Catholic/Christian/Born-again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
But correct me if I'm wrong....Mormons and Jehoveh Witnesses are NOT Christian, correct?(or Amish?)

Joey,

Correct on Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses. They are non-Trinitarian plus other outlandish beliefs that make them cultish.

However, Amish are Christian, an offshoot of the Anabaptists.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!