CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th March 2014, 07:32 PM

Exclamation "Son of God" please go see it at theater

please go see this movie at the local theaters; its very consistent with scripture; we need to support the very few movies that come out that support the bible
Old 6th March 2014, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Yes, it is good to support it and would be good for a Sunday Class screening as well.

Cinematographically speaking is not so good (character, story development and adaptation, music, directing, among other things), not as good as other Movies about Jesus such as "Jesus of Nazareth" or "The Passion".

The good thing about this movie is that does not try to deviate from the Gospel message.

I still would buy it when comes out in DVD for my Jesus movie collection.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 6th March 2014, 09:36 PM

Thanks Jerry, will watch it.
Old 7th March 2014, 04:17 AM

Does anyone know when it will be out on dvd? I don't like going to the movie theaters
Also does anyone know when the film Mary of Nazareth will be out on dvd I watched it in Italian on YouTube and it looks amazing
Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 03:06 AM

Red face i'll try to see it tomorrow

the trailers look great; granted, its not up to the "Passion" level but the Passion was a true masterpiece (in my eyes);

since there are so few edifying films out, I definitely want to get to the theater as fast as possible to encourage the making of more such films
Old 8th March 2014, 07:12 PM

Tapinu33,

The movie is estimated to be released on DVD in June of this year:

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/6724/son-of-god

-Jay
Old 9th March 2014, 12:13 AM

Thanks Jay, I guess I will have to wait till then
Old 10th March 2014, 03:36 PM

Unfortunately I don’t share everyone’s enthusiasm over this movie. I watched it last night and was left as disappointed with it as I was with the original Bible series these same creators had produced. They try to cram so much into such a short period of time that they’re left with glaring omissions.

The movie really didn’t go in depth with any of the characters and I was put off by their portrayal of Judas as someone who was just trying to “help” Jesus from getting hurt in Jerusalem. No introduction to any apostle apart from a few and Mary Magdalene was seemingly appointed to apostolic status since she was in basically every scene with Jesus and his apostles.

Lastly, my personal peeve with period movies like this is when the filmmakers aren’t as authentic as they should be. I mean, does anyone really believe people of that time walked around with pearly white teeth and perfectly manicured eyebrows? I had to laugh at John the Baptists’ dreadlocks, which were seen briefly in this movie but more prominently in the Bible series. If that wasn’t enough, the obvious plastic surgery of one of the key figures certainly didn’t jive with any preconceived ideas I may have of any biblical character I know of.

Ultimately...I have to give this movie thumbs down.
Old 10th March 2014, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I tend to shy away from religious movies of this type. I don't want the filmmaker's depiction to influence my understanding and pious imagining of persons and events in the Bible.
Old 10th March 2014, 04:18 PM

I agree with you Ron. There has always been a big disconnect between Hollywood's version of Christianity and the truth. It's sad that many people's view of their faith are formed solely by these movies rather than scripture itself.