CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2009, 06:32 AM

Default A Call to Repentance

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, A season of repentance, penance, abstinence, alms giving and renewal.

Hosea was a minor prophet who prophesied for the Israelites in the 8th century BC, but I also think he speaks to our generation - going by the pluralism of using the word "us".

I would like to open this to discussion to see if there is anyone else on the same wavelength as me, with regards to the various meanings that can be derived from this particular passage of scripture.

Sacred Bible.Org version

[Hosea 6]

{6:1} In their tribulation, they will arise early to me. Come, let us return to the Lord.
{6:2} For he has seized us, and he will heal us. He will strike, and he will cure us.
{6:3} He will revive us after two days; on the third day he will raise us up, and we will live in his sight. We will understand, and we will continue on, so that we may know the Lord. His landing place has been prepared like the first light of morning, and he will come to us like the early and the late rains of the land.

NRSV Version :

6:1 “Come, let us return to the Lord; for it is he who has torn, and he will heal us; he has struck down, and he will bind us up.
6:2 After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him.
6:3 Let us know, let us press on to know the Lord; his appearing is as sure as the dawn; he will come to us like the showers, like the spring rains that water the earth.”

Last edited by Paul Bellett : 25th February 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

It's not the 'Sacred Bible.Org' version.
It's called the Catholic Public Domain Version or CPDV.
Old 25th February 2009, 07:19 PM

Yes, your right the passage was sourced from Sacred Bible.org website but I used of the wrong nomenclature of terminology in describing it's version.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:55 PM

Default Hosea 6:1-3 Commentary - CPDV Version

In light of the imminent tribulation that is coming very soon, and rather than doing an historical commentary (which has been done before by other bible scholars) on these verses from Hosea, where the Israelites had experienced pain in their trials and tribulation on turning away from God, I have attempted to do an eschatology viewpoint spin on it, which I sincerely hope has some kind of relevance for today’s generation.

[Hosea 6]

{6:1} In their tribulation, they will arise early to me. Come, let us return to the Lord.

This time it is our tribulation, since we have a Living Bible, meant to speak for all generations that read God’s Word. Therefore we would clearly say the book of Hosea is certainly not a closed chapter, of something that happened thousands of years ago, for historical interest only.

"Come, let us return to the Lord", is the Call to Repentance, many people will quickly respond to God’s offer of the Good Friday Gift of Repentance, hence “they will arise early to me”, however there are also those who reject the Gift of Repentance, and those who respond to it in many different ways, very much like the Parable of the Sower in the Field (Matthew 13:3-30 .

{6:2} For he has seized us, and he will heal us. He will strike, and he will cure us.

In order to cleanse and purify us from the effects our sins, Our Heavenly Father has given us (Mankind) Tough Love. It is only when we have overcome many of our imperfections, that stand in the way of God, then we can truly say we are cured through God's divine help.

{6:3} He will revive us after two days; on the third day he will raise us up, and we will live in his sight.
"After two days"— After some short time of suffering (I believe it will affect people in many different degrees e.g. sorrow, mourning (Zechariah 12:10) remorse, numbness, state of shock etc.. ) from the Warning on Good Friday, God will then show us his favour, and revive our ‘dead state’.

"Revive us" — Even though we were as dead men, buried in our miseries, yet our merciful God will quicken us, out of that state – which is one of the purpose’s of the Day of Consolation. Another would be to fortify us, to prepare for the coming tribulation.

"Live" —A sense of peace, richness, and joy; in righteousness and security in the Lord.

"In his sight" — The eye of our God being upon us for our wellbeing.

{6:3} -We will understand, and we will continue on, so that we may know the Lord. His landing place has been prepared like the first light of morning, and he will come to us like the early and the late rains of the land.

"Prepared like the First Light of Morning", also reminds me about when Jesus rose just before First Light on Easter Sunday. It was early dawn (Luke 24:1-5) on the third day, when they discovered that "Jesus was amongst the living and not the dead".

"He will come to us like the early and the late rains of the land".

When the Israelites went to sow their seed in the Spring (around April/May) the early rains would come, and the late rains would come in the Autumn (Fall) Harvest time.
He will refresh us figuratively with Spring Rain at the beginning of the tribulation , during April 2009/ May 2010 and then we will be refreshed again during the late rains, when the tribulation comes to an end.

Suggested further reading on a Bishop's Homily on Conscience:-
http://www.fargodiocese.org/bishop/H...ily2-20-05.pdf