CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th June 2008, 10:47 PM

I recently bought 'An Biobla Naofa,' which is the Irish Gaelic language version. It is oriented towards Catholics. Though I can't recall off the top of my head the version used for the translation (the Latin Vulgate, I think) I find the translation is quite accurate, verse for verse.

I find it also gives the reader a more profound understanding of the Scripture due to its less formal style.

This is the one I am using mainly at the moment.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Question about your view of the Vulgate, though: why single it out as being vetted by use in Tradition? While it seems to have that status in the Latin rite, the Septuagint has the equivalent status among those of Slavic or Byzantine Rite, and the Peshitta is all but considered inspired once you move eastward into the Semitic rites.

By the reasoning of use in Holy Tradition, wouldn't those versions also have pride of place? On what basis would the Vulgate be a court of final appeal with regards to those versions?

I was referring to the decision of the Council of Trent:

Moreover, the same sacred and holy Synod,--considering that no small utility may accrue to the Church of God, if it be made known which out of all the Latin editions, now in circulation, of the sacred books, is to be held as authentic,--ordains and declares, that the said old and vulgate edition, which, by the lengthened usage of so many years, has been approved of in the Church, be, in public lectures, disputations, sermons and expositions, held as authentic; and that no one is to dare, or presume to reject it under any pretext whatever.

The Vatican norms of Bible translation also state that the Latin is to settle any differences between the various languages or any uncertain points. But the usefulness of the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic is not in dispute. I believe that Matthew was originally written in Hebrew, Mark in Latin, Luke in Greek, and John in Aramaic.

This passage from Trent:

But if any one receive not, as sacred and canonical, the said books entire with all their parts, as they have been used to be read in the Catholic Church, and as they are contained in the old Latin vulgate edition; and knowingly and deliberately contemn the traditions aforesaid; let him be anathema.

is at odds with the current practice among Bible translators and editors of rejecting certain verses, found in the Vulgate, and relegating them to a footnote or deleting them from the Bible.
Old 19th July 2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
question for members:

1. Which Bible version(s) do you use?

2. Which Bible version(s) do you own?

1. RSV-CE, TEV, NASB (online), sometimes even the modernist commentary of the NAB is helpful.

2. NKJV, TEV, RSV-CE, NAB
Old 24th July 2008, 11:24 PM

Ron, in writing a post in the TS series - Tradition - I was looking at the following verse from the Catholic Public Domain Version :

2 Thessalonians {2:14} "And so, brothers, stand firm, and hold to the traditions that you have learned, whether by word or by our epistle."

In the Bible I use, the exact same verse is verse 15. Why is that ? I use a Bible that is a translation from the original texts.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex View Post
Ron, in writing a post in the TS series - Tradition - I was looking at the following verse from the Catholic Public Domain Version :

2 Thessalonians {2:14} "And so, brothers, stand firm, and hold to the traditions that you have learned, whether by word or by our epistle."

In the Bible I use, the exact same verse is verse 15. Why is that ? I use a Bible that is a translation from the original texts.

I followed Challoner in that particular verse numbering.
It is not unusual for their to be differences in chapter and verse numbering among different versions of the Bible.

The original manuscripts are not extant (not still in existence). We do not even have a copy of a copy of a copy. The copies that we do have were made hundreds of years after the originals. And there are many differences in the manuscripts for any book.

Verse numbering was not added to the NT until the 1500s.
http://www.bible-researcher.com/chapter-verse.html
Old 25th July 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I followed Challoner in that particular verse numbering.
It is not unusual for their to be differences in chapter and verse numbering among different versions of the Bible.

The original manuscripts are not extant (not still in existence). We do not even have a copy of a copy of a copy. The copies that we do have were made hundreds of years after the originals. And there are many differences in the manuscripts for any book.

Verse numbering was not added to the NT until the 1500s.
http://www.bible-researcher.com/chapter-verse.html

Thanks very much for the link.

However, we do retain from the Septuaginta a very sure text that even the Jews of Jerusalem found good enough for a translation of their own Bible. At the end of the firts century, the Jews ceased to use the Septuaginta used by the Christians because the messianic texts applied to clearly to Christ.
Old 31st July 2008, 04:18 PM
tobinatorstark

Has anyone here heard about this new version being released in the U.K. don't know if it is here in the states yet. Its called the CTS New Catholic Bible. If you have, do you have a copy of it and do you like it thus far??
Old 31st July 2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinatorstark View Post
Has anyone here heard about this new version being released in the U.K. don't know if it is here in the states yet. Its called the CTS New Catholic Bible. If you have, do you have a copy of it and do you like it thus far??
That Bible version is merely the Jerusalem Bible with the Grail psalter, and a new set of annotations. It is not a new translation.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:18 PM

can anyone recommend an overall good "pocket version" of the Bible they own?
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
can anyone recommend an overall good "pocket version" of the Bible they own?
The Irish Gaelic Bible has a pocket-sized version, but unless you are familiar with the language it may not be of much use to you!

In schools here the Gideons organisation used to hand out pocket-sized versions of the New Testament, KJV. I don't know if they still do that anymore. Of course, for Catholic study, you would need a better version than that.

Are you actually looking to buy a pocket version?