CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2006, 01:47 AM

Thanks, Mario!

Joey
Old 17th September 2008, 07:54 PM

I was watching a programme on EWTN last night which was presented by a Protestant convert talking about how he was converted to Catholicism by the meaning of the Holy Eucharist. He said that Sacred Scripture showed to him clearly that Jesus is the Bread of Life, and he used John 6;60 as evidence.
He also referred to Luke 24: 17-30 (road to Emmaus) as another passage that shows Jesus is present in the Eucharist, i.e. the apostles did not recognise Jesus until He broke bread with them i.e. that Jesus is only truly present among us when the Holy Eucharist is consecrated.
Old 18th September 2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
I'm not sure where I should put this. This is kind of funny in a twisted sort of way.

My sister was shopping for a bible for our neice. She went to a big chain Christian store and when she couldn't find what she was looking for, she found a clerk. My sister said, "Can you help me? I'm looking for a Catholic edition of the bible for an eight year old." The clerk tossed her nose in the air and acted insulted, replying, "We do not sell Catholic bibles here--this is a Christian bookstore!" If you knew my sister, you would know she is usually very quick witted and not afraid to give someone her opinion of them. But she was actually at a loss for words this time.

Exactly where do other denominations think their bibles come from? And if they believe Catholics aren't Christians, then what do they think we are? I am guessing that most denominations understand that Catholics are indeed Christian, still the ignorance out there is unbelievable.

This makes me think of my dear Christian friend who told me that she was leery of the Catholic Church because of its "very questionable" books. When I asked her what books she was talking about she said, "The Book of Susannah, for one." I was at a complete loss. I told her there was no such thing. Her reply was that the Catholics used to have that book. Anyone out there know what she's talking about?

Quote:
Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:3-5
Old 18th September 2008, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary's Child View Post
This makes me think of my dear Christian friend who told me that she was leery of the Catholic Church because of its "very questionable" books. When I asked her what books she was talking about she said, "The Book of Susannah, for one." I was at a complete loss. I told her there was no such thing. Her reply was that the Catholics used to have that book. Anyone out there know what she's talking about?
She must be referring to the deuterocanonical additions to the Book of Daniel, namely the story of Susanna in chapter 13.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Eternity,

.................. Some even consider the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon from the Book of Revelation.

So these separated brethren need our love, prayer. and unflinching confidence in the True Faith to give them pause to wonder.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!

I have just ha a friend email me "The Great Deception" which appears to be writings of a Pastor Will Matherly describing the RCC as this Whore of Babylon". I was really confused as to why she would send that to me but I was glad she did.

She got an earful (and I was really nice about it!).

Anyway, she has opened the door for dialogue and I have sent her so much information that she has not been able to respond to anything other than tell me that it is because of the Pagan RCC that we worship on Sunday (a pagan day) in lieu of Saturday like the Jews ...... so now you know, Ron, why my thread on Sabado v Domingo. Really appreciate your help.

In joy,

Laura J
Old 5th May 2010, 02:26 AM
Bonaventure

worse than that, my friend believes I will not receive eternal salvation because I have not been "saved". as in I have not asked the Lord Jesus Christ to be my personal Lord and Savior....excuse me but I am pretty sure I convey that every day to Him....
Old 5th May 2010, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
worse than that, my friend believes I will not receive eternal salvation because I have not been "saved". as in I have not asked the Lord Jesus Christ to be my personal Lord and Savior....excuse me but I am pretty sure I convey that every day to Him....

Certain Protestants say that you have to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior in order to be saved, but the Bible does not say 'personal Lord' or 'personal Savior'. They claim to be teaching only what the Bible plainly teaches, yet what they say comes from their denomination, and is not found in the Bible.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:00 PM

I write to a Catholic nun and in her blog she was writing about how not all the translations of the Bible are correct and that there was a danger of people sitting around not really understanding what they are reading and making themselves theologians. Many times she said they don't even truely understand the context of what they are reading, etc. I don't really know what they mean by accepting Jesus Christ as my personal savior. I thought Christ was everyones savior. Isn't Christ for all of us? I don't know it is to me like they are making Him for themselves only and excluding the rest of the human race.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCatholic View Post
I write to a Catholic nun and in her blog she was writing about how not all the translations of the Bible are correct and that there was a danger of people sitting around not really understanding what they are reading and making themselves theologians. Many times she said they don't even truely understand the context of what they are reading, etc. I don't really know what they mean by accepting Jesus Christ as my personal savior. I thought Christ was everyones savior. Isn't Christ for all of us? I don't know it is to me like they are making Him for themselves only and excluding the rest of the human race.

Some Protestant translations are biased in favor of the Protestant view. I think the main problem, though, is in the interpretation. The fundamentalist Protestants tend to have the most narrow interpretation. But some of the more liberal Protestants merely interpret the Bible so as to seem to agree with whatever is the most popular idea in secular society.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:41 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCatholic View Post

I completely agree with your nun friend about Bible study groups and people not understanding and making themselves theologians. That is why we need the Magisterium.

Here is an example of historical context. My husband shared in our Bible study that he once heard a priest say that Jesus was a Pharisee. Not in the sense of being a hypocrite, but in being knowledgeable of the Law and teaching it to others. This was completely unacceptable to the Protestants in our Bible study. This made me wonder about whether this can even be known, so I researched and found a book published by a Catholic press by a Jewish rabbi named Harvey Falk called Jesus the Pharisee: A New Look at the Jewishness of Jesus. To summarize briefly, it says that there were two schools of Judaism during the time of Jesus, the Hillel School and the Shammaite school. The latter group wanted to keep the Law to themselves (Jews), so that Gentiles would not be saved. The Hillel school wanted to share the Law (the 7 Noahide commandments, not all 613 commandment of the Oral tradition) with the Gentiles, so that they could lead good lives and be saved. According to the theory of Rabbi Falk, Jesus was condemnatory toward the Pharisees of the Shammaite school, not all Pharisees in general. I don't know, but I find it very interesting, to say the least. When I shared this with our mixed mostly-Protestant Bible study, they all shook their heads, "No," and tried to move on as quickly as possible. But, in Matthew, Jesus is pretty clear that he did not come to abolish the Law:

{5:17} Do not think that I have come to loosen the law or the prophets. I have not come to loosen, but to fulfill.
{5:18} Amen I say to you, certainly, until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota, not one dot shall pass away from the law, until all is done.
{5:19} Therefore, whoever will have loosened one of the least of these commandments, and have taught men so, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever will have done and taught these, such a one shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, I am not saying that I am positive that Rabbi Falk is correct, but I do find it plausible. Just an example of how historical context is helpful in interpreting the Bible.