CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th February 2010, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Brother, how do you know that the monarch's leg will be injured?

Hi Sammy,

This is what I've read Blessed Anne-Catherine Emmerich said about the Great Monarch:
Quote:
"God touched the sinew of his hip. He was in great pain and from that day on, he walked with a limp ... "
Old 10th February 2010, 05:39 AM

Default Just wondering

I wonder if there are any clues as to other persons in Ron's discussions from such writings ( physical characteristics, etc)?
Old 10th February 2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
This passage can have different interpretations, but in my humble opinion, I think that this represents that we must cling on God and not to our own ways or strengths in life.

Jacob was a man who was used to do things his own way, as he planned and succeeded. He wanted to marry this woman called Raquel, he had to work for about 10 years to finally marry her. He wanted to have his fathers blessing even though he was not the first son (Esau was the first son), he dressed as Esau in order to have his blind fatherís blessing, and he got it, he got what he wanted.

Now we go to this passage part, Jacobís older brother, Esau was angry with Jacob and was now persecuting him. Since Jacob was trying to reconciliate with Esau, he started to send his goods or belongings thru that river to Esau and see if his brotherís heart may soften and they may find reconciliation. Since Esau was still persecuting him, Jacob started to send more of his belongings to him, his products, even his family but nothing happened, and then:

{32:23} And having delivered over all the things that belonged to him,
{32:24} he remained alone. And behold, a man wrestled with him until morning.

He remained alone, all his belongings gone, including his own family, this time his plan was not working and not succeeding, this time Jacob was feeling powerless. The mysterious Man he saw I think he was the Angel of God who wrestled with him. Since Jacob couldnít beat this Man because He was stronger than him, he just grabbed Him tightly and would not let go, so this Man gave Him a cross, he injured the nerve of his thigh, but even there he was still cling on Him, therefore, the changing of Jacobís name represents, the changing of our own way to Godís ways, to be strong with God no matter our tribulations, Jacob's name was changed to "Israel".

Getting rid of our possessions, material things even in our family to put God first in our lives, to cling on Him and to carry our crosses to follow Him.

I think this may also be a foreshadowing of baptism, because Jacob said that his soul was saved by having this encounter with this Man.

On a related note, I find interesting that God is going to injure the Great Monarchís (I think is his hip) so he would not be able to walk well, but just as Jacob, heíll be strong with God.

thank you brother. my biblr has a commentary saying:

,,,he dislocated Jacobs hips. Jacob faces God when after a long exile, he wants to force his entrance into the Promised Land. In fact, to enter into this Land is simply to enter into the mystery of God who wants to share his life with us, and this is impossible for the person who feel strong. Sure of himself and of his ways. Therefore when we are about to enter, God tests us. Whatever blow or misfortune or crisis we may be going through, it leaves us wounded and like stranger in this world . Jacob enters promised Land with a limp because Jesus also keeps the Land for those who weep, those who thirst for justice, those who are not violent.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:08 AM

Some say blessed Emmerich's vision refers to Saint Henry II, holy roman emperor, called also the lame who lived with a limp for most of his life.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)