CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2010, 07:49 PM

Default Saint Jerome and Sacred Scripture

Here are a few quotes taken from a pair of Pope Benedict's general Wednesday audiences from 2007 focusing on the great doctor of the Church Saint Jerome. Saint Jerome translated and commented on Sacred Scripture. He was a firm promoter of its important place in the life of the Faithful:

'What can we learn from St Jerome? It seems to me, this above all; to love the Word of God in Sacred Scripture. St Jerome said: "Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ"'

'I thus conclude with a word St Jerome once addressed to St Paulinus of Nola. In it the great exegete expressed this very reality, that is, in the Word of God we receive eternity, eternal life. St Jerome said: "Seek to learn on earth those truths which will remain ever valid in Heaven"'

'Jerome emphasized the joy and importance of being familiar with biblical texts: "Does one not seem to dwell, already here on earth, in the Kingdom of Heaven when one lives with these texts, when one meditates on them, when one does not know or seek anything else?"'

'Truly "in love" with the Word of God, he asked himself: "How could one live without the knowledge of Scripture, through which one learns to know Christ himself, who is the life of believers?"'

'To read Scripture is to converse with God: "If you pray", he writes to a young Roman noblewoman, "you speak with the Spouse; if you read, it is he who speaks to you"'

'Certainly, to penetrate the Word of God ever more profoundly, a constant and progressive application is needed. Hence, Jerome recommends to the priest Nepotian: "Read the divine Scriptures frequently; rather, may your hands never set the Holy Book down. Learn here what you must teach"'

'Through meditation on and knowledge of the Scriptures, one "maintains the equilibrium of the soul"'

'Only a profound spirit of prayer and the Holy Spirit's help can introduce us to understanding the Bible: "In the interpretation of Sacred Scripture we always need the help of the Holy Spirit"'

"Love Sacred Scripture and wisdom will love you; love it tenderly, and it will protect you; honour it and you will receive its caresses. May it be for you as your necklaces and your earrings"

"Love the science of Scripture, and you will not love the vices of the flesh"

'Above all, he [Saint Jerome] put at the centre of his life and activity the Word of God, which indicates the path of life to man and reveals the secrets of holiness to him. We cannot fail to be deeply grateful for all of this, even in our day.'

Here are the pair of audiences from the Vatican website. I highly recommend them:

Saint Jerome (I)
http://www.vatican.v...0071107_en.html

Saint Jerome (II)
http://www.vatican.v...0071114_en.html
Old 7th February 2010, 10:59 PM

Welcome back, Nicholas! You were gone a long time.
Old 8th February 2010, 02:22 PM

Welcome back. I enjoy your insightful posts.
Old 8th February 2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Welcome back, Nicholas! You were gone a long time.
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIDUMATTW View Post
Welcome back. I enjoy your insightful posts.
I like Saint Jerome. I think he has the same sort of spirit promoted here at this forum which I like.

I have lots of new stuff, but I want to finish first before posting it all here.
Old 9th February 2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post

I have lots of new stuff, but I want to finish first before posting it all here.

I can't wait to hear about it!