CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > God - the Most Holy Trinity
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd December 2009, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Default Incarnation and the Trinity

Jesus has two natures united as one Person, a human nature and the Divine Nature. But since the Divine Nature is One, why is it that only the Second Person is incarnate, not all Three? The answer seems to be only that the Trinity decided that only the Second Person would be incarnate, even though there is only one Divine Nature.

It was more fitting for the Second Person to be Incarnate, rather than the First or Third because of the entire plan of salvation. The Son proceeds from the Father. The Father sent the Son to be Incarnate for our salvation, rather than the Son sending the Father, because this is a reflection of the procession which is the basis for the Personhood of the Trinity. The Father sends the Son because the Son proceeds from the Father; procession is like being sent forth.

And the Father and Son then send the Spirit upon the Church, because the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. So the roles accorded to the Persons of the Trinity in salvation are a reflection of the procession, which is the basis for the distinction between the Persons.
Old 2nd December 2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

And then we all can go to the Father in Heaven thru Jesus and see the Beatific Vision.

In limited words, God the Son and the Spirit come to us but we are the ones who go to God the Father meaning the Beatific Vision for God is everywhere.
Old 2nd December 2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
And then we all can go to the Father in Heaven thru Jesus and see the Beatific Vision.

In limited words, God the Son and the Spirit come to us but we are the ones who go to God the Father meaning the Beatific Vision for God is everywhere.
The Father, Son, and Spirit are One, so this kind of distinction is not correct.
Old 2nd December 2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The Father, Son, and Spirit are One, so this kind of distinction is not correct.

I disagree.

One God, yet three different Persons.

God the Father sends the Son, Father and Son sends the Holy Spirit but no one sends the Father (even though God is everywhere). We'll be able so see the Beatific Vision of the One true God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) in Heaven.
Old 2nd December 2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
One God, yet three different Persons.

God the Father sends the Son, Father and Son sends the Holy Spirit but no one sends the Father (even though God is everywhere). We'll be able so see the Beatific Vision of the One true God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) in Heaven.
This post quoted here is correct.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying before.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:37 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Ron, a quick explination on how we conclude that the Father and Son send the Holy Spirit?
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Ron, a quick explination on how we conclude that the Father and Son send the Holy Spirit?

[John 14]
{14:16} And I will ask the Father, and he will give another Advocate to you, so that he may abide with you for eternity:
{14:17} the Spirit of Truth.......

[John 12]
{12:49} For I am not speaking from myself, but from the Father who sent me. He gave a commandment to me as to what I should say and how I should speak.
{12:50} And I know that his commandment is eternal life. Therefore, the things that I speak, just as the Father has said to me, so also do I speak.”

{8:28} And so Jesus said to them: “When you will have lifted up the Son of man, then you shall realize that I am, and that I do nothing of myself, but just as the Father has taught me, so do I speak.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:

The distinction between the Persons of the Trinity is based on procession. The Father does not proceed. The Son proceeds only from the Father. The Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son.

The roles of the Trinity in our salvation are similarly based on procession. So the Father alone sends the Son, to be Incarnate, to accomplish our salvation on the Cross. The Father and the Son send the Spirit to enliven and guide the Church.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:07 PM
TheGiftOfLife

SO are we saying that prior to Christs coming, the Holy Spirit did not come to humans?
Old 3rd December 2009, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
SO are we saying that prior to Christs coming, the Holy Spirit did not come to humans?

No, we are not saying that.

Whatever any one Person is doing, all Three are doing. We account certain acts to certain persons, such as the grace of repentance accounted to the Holy Spirit. All Three Persons as One God were always working in salvation history, from the creation of Adam and Eve, and thereafter.