CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > God - the Most Holy Trinity
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th December 2009, 06:42 PM
supporting member

Default Repetition

Ron, creation reflects the Creator. The new testament reflects/repeats the old testament. Years, months and days repeat. The planets repeat their cycles around the sun. My daily routine is for the most part repetitive. Our celebrations repetitive. The liturgical year is repetitive. Does the nature of God include this repetitive character?
Old 8th December 2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Ron, creation reflects the Creator. The new testament reflects/repeats the old testament. Years, months and days repeat. The planets repeat their cycles around the sun. My daily routine is for the most part repetitive. Our celebrations repetitive. The liturgical year is repetitive. Does the nature of God include this repetitive character?

Nature does have a certain repetativeness. But I don't see the theological point that you are making.

God is not at all repetative in His nature. God is One Divine Eternal Act. There is no repetition in God at all, because he is truly and absolutely simple. Whatever is truly One cannot have repetition, which implies parts. So creation is repetative and God is not.

Creation is like God, but God is not like Creation. There is a certain assymetry to the truth that Creation is like God. The finite can be like the infinite, to a limited extent. But the infinite is infinitely different from the finite.