CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Popes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2017, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default Cardinal Burke's comments goes against our Faith

In a recent interview, Cardinal Burke commented the following:

Quote:
“I simply affirmed that it is always my sacred duty to defend the truth of the Church's teaching and discipline regarding marriage,”...

“No authority can absolve me from that responsibility, and, therefore, if any authority, even the highest authority, were to deny that truth or act contrary to it, I would be obliged to resist, in fidelity to my responsibility before God.”

Se all article here:
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...francis-87675/

In just that quote, there are some assertions contrary to the teaching of Christ through His Church, as Ron also explains in his blog post here:
https://ronconte.wordpress.com/2017/...and-authority/

I also would like to point out that this Cardinal is acting as if the faith of the successor of Peter can fail, but his (this Cardinal's), is somehow assured, that his understandings of Christ's teachings cannot be mistaken and that a new teaching of a Pope (any Pope) regarding any specific doctrine (and even discipline - per his own words) which is contrary to his understanding of past teachings and disciplines, the Pope's might be in error.

Cont...
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 11th August 2017, 05:01 PM
Administrator

But this mistrust in a Pope, is an ignorance in Jesus words (at best - and yet he thinks that he knows better than the Pope), or a mistrust in Jesus' own words, which is worst.

In Sacred Scripture we read that Jesus has clearly entrusted His Church to Peter, so he becomes His Vicar, promising that the gates of Hell will not prevail against His Church founded on Peter, the Rock and the Apostles in communion with Peter, and also praying for Peter so that his faith does not fail and that he can confirm (teach) his brothers (Matthew 16:18 ) (John 21:15-17). We also see the supremacy of Peter over the rest of the Apostles (Matthew 10:2), (Acts 1:13-14), (Acts 2:14), (Acts 2:37), (Acts 4:8 ), etc...

Let's see what Jesus said and did for Peter in the following specific moment during the Last Supper:

[Luke]
{22:31} And the Lord said: “Simon, Simon! Behold, Satan has asked for you, so that he may sift you like wheat.
{22:32} But I have prayed for you, so that your faith may not fail, and so that you, once converted, may confirm your brothers.”

Now, in the English language the word "you" can refer to a specific person or to a group of people. It's interesting that in other Bible translations, the "you" in Luke 22:31 does not refer to Peter alone, but to all the twelve Apostles who were reunited with Jesus during the Last Supper.

Notice that right before the above verses, Jesus is talking with all the Apostles when He tells them "you".

{22:28} But you are those who have remained with me during my trials.

"You are" - He is talking to all the twelve.

{22:29} And I dispose to you, just as my Father has disposed to me, a kingdom,
{22:30} so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and so that you may sit upon thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

So here also, the "you"(s) continues to refer to all the twelve.

Now let's continue with what is interesting and important to point out:

[Luke]
{22:31} And the Lord said: “Simon, Simon! Behold, Satan has asked for you, so that he may sift you like wheat.
{22:32} But I have prayed for you, so that your faith may not fail, and so that you, once converted, may confirm your brothers.”
Old 11th August 2017, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Some other Bible translations have the you (in read) referring not to Peter only, but to all the twelve Apostles, However, the you (in blue) referring to Peter only.

31 'Simon, Simon! Look, Satan has got his wish to sift you all like wheat;
32 but I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail, and once you have recovered, you in your turn must strengthen your brothers.'
--The Jerusalem Bible

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.
But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
- New International Version

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat.
But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers."
- New Living Translation

Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have all of you to sift like wheat.
But I begged for you, that your faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
- Berean Literal Bible

Notice that Jesus tells Peter that Satan has asked to sift all the Apostles as wheat, but that He has specifically prayed for Peter (the head), so that his faith does not fail and that he can strengthen and confirm his brothers (who also includes the rest of the Apostles) when that happens.

Also notice that right after that, the faith of one of the Apostles failed, and that was Judas Iscariot. Therefore, the faith of the rest of the Apostles (apart form Peter) did not have the guarantee from Jesus that their faith would not fail.
Old 11th August 2017, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Consequently, the faith of an individual Cardinal or Bishop does not have the specific grace granted by Jesus to Peter and his successors, and this include all his successors because obviously the time of Peter leading on this earth was going to last only a few years, and the Church is going to last until the consummation of age (Matthew 28:20); therefore, by apostolic succession, all the successors of Peter have this especial grace of truth and never failing faith.

“This gift of truth and never-failing faith was therefore divinely conferred on Peter and his successors in this See so that they might discharge their exalted office for the salvation of all, and so that the whole flock of Christ might be kept away by them from the poisonous food of error and be nourished with the sustenance of heavenly doctrine.” — First Vatican Council

“8. But this authority, even though it may be given to a man, and may be exercised by a man, is not human, but rather divine [power], having been given by the divine mouth [of Christ] to Peter, and to him as well as to his successors, by [Christ] Himself, [that is, to him] whom He had disclosed to be the firm rock, just as the Lord said to Peter himself: “Whatever you shall bind,” [Matthew 16:19] etc. Therefore, whoever resists this authority, such as it has been ordain by God, resists the ordination of God. [Romans 13:2]” – Unam Sanctam

9. Moreover, that every human creature is to be subject to the Roman pontiff, we declare, we state, we define, and we pronounce to be entirely from the necessity of salvation. – Unam Sanctam

So, any individual Bishop or person who rebels against our highest authority here on earth is rebelling against God's order and is also mistrusting the divine words and prayer of Jesus.