Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Default Bible only is anti-Biblical:

This is actually what Sacred Scripture says:

About Tradition:

[Acts]
{4:31} And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered was moved. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. And they were speaking the Word of God with confidence.

{6:7} And the Word of the Lord was increasing, and the number of disciples in Jerusalem was multiplied exceedingly. And even a large group of the priests were obedient to the faith.

[Romans]
{10:8} But what does Scripture say? “The word is near, in your mouth and in your heart.” This is the word of faith, which we are preaching.

[2 Thessalonians]
{3:6} But we strongly caution you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to draw yourselves away from every brother who is walking in disorder and not according to the tradition that they received from us.

Sacred Scripture is one of our Three Pillars of Faith, but it’s not all:

[John]
{16:12} I still have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now.
{16:13} But when the Spirit of truth has arrived, he will teach the whole truth to you. For he will not be speaking from himself. Instead, whatever he will hear, he will speak. And he will announce to you the things that are to come.

{21:25} Now there are also many other things that Jesus did, which, if each of these were written down, the world itself, I suppose, would not be able to contain the books that would be written.

[2 John]
{1:12} I have much more to write to you, but I am not willing to do so through paper and ink. For I hope that I may be with you in the future, and that I may speak face to face, so that your joy may be full.

[3 John]
{1:13} I had many things to write to you, but I am not willing, through ink and pen, to write to you.

Now, notice how St. Paul mentions “Jannes and Jambres” as resisting Moses, however, these two names are nowhere to be found in the O.T. of Sacred Scriptures. Was he lying or making that up?... No, he knew that by Tradition.

[2 Timothy]
{3:8} And in the same manner that Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so also will these resist the truth, men corrupted in mind, reprobates from the faith.

About the Magisterium:

[Matthew]
{16:18} And I say to you, that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.

"My Church", not My "Churches".

{22:31} And the Lord said: “Simon, Simon! Behold, Satan has asked for you, so that he may sift you like wheat.
{22:32} But I have prayed for you, so that your faith may not fail, and so that you, once converted, may confirm your brothers.”

Jesus gives Peter a special grace, the authority con confirm and/or correct us from any error that might lead us away from salvation.

Peter is the first of the Apostles:

[Matthew]
{10:2} Now the names of the twelve Apostles are these: the First, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother

Notice that when the Apostles fell asleep on the Garden of Gethsemani, Jesus called Peter as he is the responsible of the rest:

{26:40} And he approached his disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter: “So, were you not able to keep vigil with me for one hour?

We can not interpret Sacred Scriptures as we solely wish or think, there is an Authority who has the correct interpretation and that can correct us.

[2 Peter] (First Pope)
{3:16} just as he also spoke in all of his epistles about these things (St. Paul). In these, there are certain things which are difficult to understand, which the unlearned and the unsteady distort, as they also do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

[John]
{21:17} He said to him a third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was very grieved that he had asked him a third time, “Do you love me?” And so he said to him: “Lord, you know all things. You know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my sheep".
Old 9th December 2016, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default Response to the "all have sinned"

The following is a question that I responded regarding the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception.

[Romans]
{3:23} For all have sinned and all are in need of the glory of God.

Therefore, the Virgin Mary also sinned.

My response:

If we take literally the "all have sinned" then that would include Jesus Christ as well, but He did not sin for He is God. We Catholics interpret Sacred Scriptures in light of Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church. St. Peter, our first Pope, explains that interpretation of some passages of Scripture is difficult for some individuals (2 Peter 3:16), therefore, since the Spirit was given to Peter and the Apostles from Jesus (John 14:26), the Magisterium has the gift of correct interpretation of Sacred Scriptures. Also, not all have been written in the Bible (John 21:25), there are other things that the Holy Spirit continues revealing to the Church (John 16:12-13) - that is the Pope and Bishops in communion with the Pope - the Magisterium, like with the case of the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. So, the "all have sinned" does not include Jesus and the Virgin Mary. Regards,
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 22nd June 2017, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Another compendium:

There are different forms of baptism, the formal baptism with water (which is the ideal that all should seek), but if it can't be done due to external forces, factors, obstacles or circumstances, there is baptism of desire and baptism of blood (martyrs or prenatals who die in their mother's womb).

Also, regarding the Catholic Church, we do not go by Bible alone, we go by Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium. Even the Bible itself teaches that all is not written it its books and that there are some Truths that the Spirit will continue teaching us (John 16:12-13) (John 21:25) (2 John 1:12) (3 John 1:13).

Regarding Tradition, notice that in (2 Timothy 3:8 ), St. Pauls says that "Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses"; however, this is nowhere written in the O.T. How did St. Paul knew this information if this was not written in the Sacred Scripture available to them at the time (the O.T.)? - by Tradition, by spoken Word.

St. Peter also teaches about the need of an authority in the Church in order to correctly interpret Sacred Scripture (2 Peter 3:16), and, of course, Jesus institutes His Church on Peter and His Apostles (Matt 16:18 ) (Luke 22:32) so that Peter can "feed His sheep", in other words, feed us spiritually with God's teachings (John 21:17). But Peter and the first Apostles were going to die (not with us in this world anymore), and they did, so how would this Church that Jesus instituted would continue?, - by the "Apostolic succession" such as done in (Acts 1:12-26) (Acts 6:1-5) because Jesus is with us always (Matt 28:20).

Blessings.
Old 10th August 2017, 05:23 PM
Administrator

[1 Timothy]
{3:15} But, if I am delayed, you should know the manner in which it is necessary to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and the foundation of truth.

So Not "Bible Alone".

But the Church that St. Paul it talking about is obviously the one and only that Jesus Himself founded on Peter and His Apostles over 2,000 years ago (Matthew 16:18 ), for He did not founded "churches" thousands of years later, and that only Church of the living God is Catholic (Universal).