CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Jesus nailed in His wrist vs. palm....

Hi Ron,

I agree that Jesus was most likely nailed in His anatomic wrist for the reasons well explained in your interesting article:

http://www.catholicplanet.com/articles/article16.htm

The pain in this area must have been unbearable because of a very sensitive nerve that passes thru that location:

Furthermore, in this area, is where the bones are stronger to be able support the weight of the human body (besides some cords that might have been used to support Jesus in the cross).

Saint Bridget of Sweden could not have been more specific about it: "they transfixed His hand in the part where the bone was firmest." (Revelations to St. Bridget, TAN Books and Publishers, p. 45). The middle of the palm, is not the firmest area, on the contrary, that area is very weak and could have easily been torn apart with some significant weight and pressure. Therefore, it is most likely that the area of the hand where Jesus was nailed was His anatomic wrist.

However, I don't think that the Bible necessary supports that the wounds of Christ were in the middle of His palms:

Quote:
Sacred Scripture supports the idea that the wounds of Christ's hands were in the palm of the hand, and not in what is commonly called the wrist. "Then he said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here, and see my hands….' " (John 20:27). " 'See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself….' And when he had said this he showed them his hands and his feet." (Luke 24:39-40). Notice that Jesus asks Thomas and the other Apostles to examine His hands, not His wrists.

Jesus says to Thomas: "Put your finger here, and see my 'hands'".

Now, when He says "hands", does not necessarily means his "palms" or "the middle of His "palms".

If I'm not mistaken, the word "hands" in ancient Greek, implies the whole structure of the hands which includes the wrist area. - ( Please advise if you or someone have good knowledge of this).

At least it's clear that Jesus does not say, "see my palms".
Old 1st October 2012, 03:57 PM
Administrator

The anatomical wrist is located in the heel of the hand, not in the location where a wrist watch is commonly worn. So a location for the nails in the anatomical wrist could be considered to be part of the palm of the hand (the base of the palm).
Old 1st October 2012, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Another important thing to mention is that according to Sacred Scripture, none of Jesus' bones were broken. Therefore, the nail might have passed thru one of the spaces of the anatomical wrist, were the bones are stronger - the base area of the hand.

The bones of the wrist, showing Destot's Space and the start of the "Z" space.

The Shroud of Turin clearly shows the area where Jesus might have been nailed:

And this representation is a good example of how He could have been nailed:

Figure 3 The nail entering the Z space that will exit exactly where the Shroud shows the exit wound.

Last edited by Brother : 1st October 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:04 PM
Administrator

It looks to me from the Shroud of Turin that the nails entered the anatomical wrist. But I can't agree that the Shroud by itself establishes exactly where within the anatomical wrist.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It looks to me from the Shroud of Turin that the nails entered the anatomical wrist. But I can't agree that the Shroud by itself establishes exactly where within the anatomical wrist.

Yes, I agree Ron, I don't know where 'exactly' either. That statement regarding Figure 3 was taken from this source:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/ne...7/replies?c=11

However, I do firmly think that somewere within that specific - the anatomic wrist area - Jesus was nailed. The nails might have passed thru one of those spaces of the anatomical wrist.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:04 PM

Default Stigmata

Do you guys know where specifically the wounds of stigmata are located? Has anyone seen a picture of them uncovered. It would make sense that God would be exact with these stigmata wounds.