CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > About This Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st April 2010, 09:41 PM

I would welcome other members, so long as they are not hostile ( ) and that they are open to learning about teachings that they either don't agree with or that they don't understand. I'm still down low in the 'don't understand' category!!
Old 2nd April 2010, 02:02 AM

As long as it would not bog you down too much Ron with answering questions, moderating, and keeping the peace. We can always learn a lot from discussion. Maybe you could add another moderator if you open up the forum.

I for one am still waiting for your upcoming book The Second Part of the Tribulation to be released!

Thaddeus
Old 2nd April 2010, 02:09 PM

[quote=zouxi;31724]I believe that giving access to the forum for members that do not agree on the current required beliefs for membership will do more harm than good, because it will make the forum in constant useless debates and will make the majority of Ron's posts as answers/explanations to their objections that will lead to nowhere therafter, aside from taking Ron's time for answering insightful questions/topics that do not extend to outside true catholic teachings boundaries.

I agree with Zouxi. If something inspired me to participate in this forum was the required belief that with all shared. It's amazing that i've been able to find such a great group!
Old 28th April 2010, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
Even though I haven't posted here in a very long time, due to some serious medical/psychological issues, I have been reading all along. In regards to those who do not agree with our beliefs, maybe we should look at it more from this standpoint: when I signed up, I agreed, and still do, with the beliefs, but my faith has taken a SERIOUS beating over the last few years, and this site has truly helped me. I guess what I'm trying to say, Ron, is that perhaps you would be able to see who is also not so much disagreeing as going through a trial, and possibly need reinforcement and truth? Just a thought.

Nice to see so many still here.

Just a reminder to members to continue to pray for Angela.
I am praying for her and for all members in need.

Ron
Old 29th April 2010, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 29th April 2010, 02:06 AM

To be honest I joined this forum because it remains traditional, and faithful to the Magisterium
I had previously joined catholic sites and found that these sites become the www of arguments between traditional Catholics and modernism.
It really is up to you Ron, if you do decide to open up the forum, I will pray that this great site remains as it is, with Catholics that hold fast to the truth.
Old 29th April 2010, 02:54 AM
Administrator

I'm going to keep the same membership admission rules.
Thanks to everyone who advised me on this question.
Old 29th April 2010, 04:58 AM
TheGiftOfLife

I think a second forum for Catholics that do not agree with Catholic Teaching as well as any of the people in this forum who want to join that group would be a great idea.

Many can learn from reading the traditional forum, but many have questions and are misguided in their faith and I think it can help them understand and learn the faith and have their issues addressed thus giving them the correct point of view that secular society has incorretly drilled into their heads. Giving them a voice for open communication will not only help them but probably most of us as well since the faith is so rich and it really take a lifetime and still never get all that there is. One great thing about Catholicism is that we continually are in a state of learning and growing closer to God but never knowing it all.

I think it is also important to preserve this forum so that we have a safe haven knowing that we are all in agreement and that allows us to hone in on more details of the faith.

I hope everyone has been well as the Devil is really in rare form and in full attack mode! - I have had some trials. The church is under attack from the outside as well as the inside.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I've tried posting in various other forums. The problem is not so much that members there have some mistaken beliefs about the teaching of the Church and need to be corrected, but rather that they are uncorrectable. No matter how strong the theological argument, no matter how many magisterial documents state a truth as required belief, if it is contrary to what they wish to believe, they cannot be convinced to change their minds. This is the case on matters of faith, such as the inerrancy of Scripture, and on matters of morals, such as that intrinsically evil acts are not justified by intention or circumstances.

Worse still, I find that in many forums certain persons who have a poor understanding of Church teaching have taken the role of teaching the other members. Usually these persons remain anonymous, and most of the time when they teach their errors they present no theological argument and no support from Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium. They make a series of baseless assertions about what the Church does or does not teach. Occasionally, they will quote and misinterpret the CCC. Then, when faced with magisterial documents and theological arguments to the contrary, they still maintain the same position. If they attempt a theological argument, it is usually theologically incoherent.

They are leading many persons astray by telling them that various ideas are the teaching of the Church, when it is not.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:05 PM

[quote=Ron Conte;32567]I've tried posting in various other forums. The problem is not so much that members there have some mistaken beliefs about the teaching of the Church and need to be corrected, but rather that they are uncorrectable. No matter how strong the theological argument, no matter how many magisterial documents state a truth as required belief, if it is contrary to what they wish to believe,

How true Ron, I personally have experienced this attitude, it is very stressful indeed because their hearts and minds are closed [their choice]