CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Medjugorje and Garabandal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th June 2014, 06:50 PM
Administrator

good points, abba25.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:20 PM

I’m sure Mr. Lomangino isn’t one bit disappointed that he won’t be on Earth to witness the Miracle. He’s got a front row seat in Heaven now. I was initially shocked at hearing of his passing especially given the statements made by the visionaries of Garabandal. Regardless of whether Garabandal or Medjugorje are true private revelations, I think the best advice is to continue living our lives as though the Warning were imminent. By that I mean frequent confession, prayer and deepening our relationship with Christ.

I’ve waivered over the years as to whether Garabandal and Medjugorje are true or not. The biggest questions in my mind are these:

1. What’s with all the secrets? To me they seem to serve no other purpose than to heighten both intrigue and anxiety, neither of which are Christian virtues. Scripture alone can tell us what to expect of the future and if we live our lives according to our faith what do we really have to worry about anyway?

2. The Blessed Mother has been giving messages to the Medugorje visionaries for decades now yet nothing really new is being revealed. I love the BVM dearly but I’ve stopped reading the monthly messages because they just seem very generic and similar to the thousands of messages given over the past 30 years. And then there are the Garabandal apparitions....of over 2000 apparitions, where are all the messages? Only a handful of statements have ever been made public. Maybe there are a few volumes out there somewhere I haven’t seen yet, I don’t know.

3. I won’t judge any of the visionaries themselves but I’m disappointed that they haven’t been as forthcoming with their experiences visiting Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. I can’t imagine God allowed them to experience these places to satisfy their own curiosity but rather to provide testimony to the world. Yet, their statements are only a couple of sentences at best. With the thousands of actual visits they’ve made with the BVM I’d think that there would be a superabundance of information about the afterlife, but that’s not really the case. It begs the question, why is she still appearing to them?

Ultimately I think the fruits of these places speak for themselves and surely something wonderful is happening. I may have to wait a few decades for my answers but until then I’ll continue to trust in our Lord and keep a skeptical eye towards any apparition.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:50 PM
Administrator

A big purpose of true private revelation is to draw lapsed Catholics and non-Catholics to the Church. TPR cannot reveal new truths on important matters of faith and morals, and thereby competing with and undermining Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium. So if the messages seem like nothing new to a well-taught Catholic, that is as it should be.
Old 29th June 2014, 04:50 AM

Get to Christ. If TPRs help you on the way, all to the good. If you get to Him without it, fine. It is also fine to politely disagree on interpretation- but let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees, as it were. The goal is Christ, together and individually. Blessings to you all!

p.s. Update- I am once again deployed, this time for 9 months to Korea. Hopefully getting to be in Seoul for the Holy Father's visit!
Old 29th June 2014, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Get to Christ. If TPRs help you on the way, all to the good. If you get to Him without it, fine. It is also fine to politely disagree on interpretation- but let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees, as it were. The goal is Christ, together and individually. Blessings to you all!

p.s. Update- I am once again deployed, this time for 9 months to Korea. Hopefully getting to be in Seoul for the Holy Father's visit!

I'm glad to hear to have a less dangerous deployment this time!
Grace and peace to you and your fellow soldiers.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:11 AM

Default Response to Doubters on the Passing of Joey

]I have read all the doubters ready to jump ship due to the Passing of Joey and can only say that we have a saying in my country that translated means "Ignorance is the most daring and self-assured". The history of Garabandal, like many other apparitions, is full of those who doubted from the start and, worse, those who never really believed but were very ready to start the fires of doubt at any opportunity. I have written a piece answering this situation, which has been very favorably and enthusiastically approved by a friend of mine who is very good friends with Conchita and is a well known expert on Garabandal. Now some of you will say that such approval by someone so tied to Garabandal is to be expected, and that my mentioning of his support is naive, but I am not here to bother to convince anyone; only to lay out the reasons why this passing of Joey is but a step in God's plan to weed out the flimsy believers. Here is the link to my piece.

http://deussolus9.wordpress.com/2014...not-a-setback/
Old 7th July 2014, 12:37 PM

One of the problems with Garabandal is that many things have been said. You read something about it ,just to find something contradictory on another website.
Let me quote a passage from the article you wrote:
“…one day, before the Miracle, something would happen that would cause many people to stop believing in the Garabandal apparitions”
somewhere else you will find
“shortly before the Miracle…”
“some time before the Miracle”
“ one day, before the events”
and so on so forth
There seem to be an endless stream of variations on the subject

By the way, if the corret version is “shortly before the Miracle…” or “some time before the Miracle”, then the passing away of Joey cannot be the “event”. As a matter of fatc the Warning happens before the Miracle. Therefore it is safe to say that people who changed their minds on Garabandal (which implies that they know about the prophecy of the Miracle) because of the death of Joey, will believe again after experiencing the Warning.

A little while ago I started to become more and more wary of all those prophecies, private revelations and the rest of it. I am not saying I reject Medjugorje or Garabandal. I want to hope that it is true because with the life that I have been living that 's the only hope I can cling onto....

In an interview in 2009 ,Fr Petar Ljubivic says that the situation in the world has never been so sad and so bad…………we are feeling that something has to happen very soon/quickly ….We cannot go on like this anymore…”. You can see the interview here it is in Croatian/hrvatski. Maybe Keva could confirm that the translation is correct: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhxYpaqow58#t=231
therefore implying that the events are at hand. Well that was 5 years ago. Nothing has happened.
Well I attended a conference/interview with Ivan when I was in Medjugorje ; As I went 3 times to Medjugorje I do not remember the year but it was between 2002and 2004. Anyway he said something very similar to whet Fr Petar said. Well that was 10 or 12 years ago.
Private revelations given in the 90’s said similar things and that it was about to happen. Well that was 20 years ago.
And I could go on and on

Last edited by Damien : 7th July 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:23 PM

Default This is what I am talking about....

By the way, if the corret version is “shortly before the Miracle…” or “some time before the Miracle”, then the passing away of Joey cannot be the “event”. As a matter of fatc the Warning happens before the Miracle. Therefore it is safe to say that people who changed their minds on Garabandal (which implies that they know about the prophecy of the Miracle) because of the death of Joey, will believe again after experiencing the Warning.

Why cannot the passing of Joey be the event? Do you know what "shortly" or "some time" means in precise detail? This is what I am talking about. People throw in their interpretations as if those perceptions were rock solid fact. I am basing my points on years of study of Garabandal, consultations with many Garabandal experts, and the events themselves. You are basing your conclusion on what "shortly" means. Thank you for proving my point.
Old 7th July 2014, 02:25 PM

Default By the way...

Many of those who change their mind will not again believe after the Warning because they will either rationalize it off or simply go with what is more comfortable and less distasteful; namely, this is all a fake. Easier and allows one to continue on one's merry way. If Christ Himself came down today half of the people would brush Him off as some homeless, hippie nut.
Old 7th July 2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post

Why cannot the passing of Joey be the event? Do you know what "shortly" or "some time" means in precise detail? This is what I am talking about. People throw in their interpretations as if those perceptions were rock solid fact. I am basing my points on years of study of Garabandal, consultations with many Garabandal experts, and the events themselves. You are basing your conclusion on what "shortly" means. Thank you for proving my point.

You are writing/reacting as if I was attacking you, your point of view or your article...
That was not the case. I was just :
1) expressing my opinion as well giving an explanation (one of many I guess) as to why there are more and more people that tend to view Garabandal as false. ---> because too many contradictory things have been said...

2) expressing my view that the death of Joey may not really qualify as an event that could make people not believe in the Miracle when the time of said Miracle has come----> people would have experienced the Warning before. .... You are missing my point , I was not focusing on "shortly" or "some time" but rather on the fact that the death of Joey happened before the warning. So you are completely missing my point and lecturing me with your " This is what I am talking about. People throw in their interpretations as if those perceptions were rock solid fact". What makes it more "funny" is that I emphasized the fact that too many things have been said on the subject, which is the opposite of "rock solid facts"

Last edited by Damien : 7th July 2014 at 04:42 PM.