CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th June 2007, 06:15 PM

Default Princes William and Harry

Alright I admit I watched their interview last night on NBC. I thought it is interesting that they are both officers in the British Army. Maybe they will be great heroes in WWIII or if they survive maybe one day they will be in the great monarch's army. I tend to think that the great monarchs army will consist of exiled Europeans.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:50 PM

One of these Princes was recently assigned to do a tour of duty in Iraq, can't remember which one. However it was eventually decided that he was not to go, because it was considered too dangerous a mission for him.
He might be a target of insurgents.. poor lad. So I don't quite understand how you think they could be hereos in WWIII, when they are denied the opportunity of getting any real training in the army?
Old 19th June 2007, 09:55 PM

It was Prince Harry. Things will be more desperate during WWIII than Iraq so maybe they will be ordered to the field for the inspiration of the troops. But you are right Paul, so maybe they will fight in WWIV aside the great monarch
Old 19th June 2007, 09:56 PM

or maybe the British army will be so depleted that they have to be ordered into battle
Old 19th June 2007, 09:58 PM

or maybe their will be an invasion of England, so in that circumstance they would have to fight in some way.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:29 PM
Joan

Default Civil War and Insurrection

This is an interesting topic. I think what makes it difficult to rally, unify and inspire, is the embedded nature of the enemy and the complete rejection by that enemy of the "rules of war"

The Western nations are not just fighting nation-states with territorial boundaries, but rather an embedded fifth column that acts in concert with transnational ideological guerillas. It is that fifth column which assures that the Western nations will capitulate.

This capitulation will be after legal, cultural, social changes intended to appease the embedded foe have sapped the will and resources to resist. The embedded enemy and the political fifth columnists acting to sabotage resistance and resolve are a phenomenon which has virtually assured that by the time the Western nations realize their true condition, there will be only the recourse to violent internal struggle street to street, neighbor against neighbor, to attempt to roll back the jihad.

These internal resistance conflicts will not roll back the jihad. By the time the armies of Islam invade national boundaries by devastating bombardments, the internal rot will hasten the fall of the West, we may not necessarily see a Hitlerian Blitzkrieg, tanks rolling into Paris.

I guess I'm saying, think "Beirut" and "Somalia" "Baghdad"rather than Invasion of Poland, or Battle of Britain or the fall of Paris in WWII

Anyway, the two Royal Princes of Britain should not be exposed to kidnapping, propaganda videos, decapitation--the fate of even common soldiers against the jihadist enemies.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:42 PM

good points, but I just cant see them enrolled officers as they are simply abandon their country and flee into exile.

My friend and I came up with some interesting points last week. We were trying to figure out how such a powerful military such as our own could lose to less sophisticated armies of the Arabs. We agreed that the guerilla/urban warfare is part of it. But also I think that the economy will likely crash and the US and Europe might simply run out of funding and resources to wage war. Look at how expensive Iraq is. Would we just keep on printing money until we are in insurmountable debt. And what about fuel. How are we going to fuel our war machine if the supply is cut off from us in the Middle East.

Forgive me if these are simplistic explanations, I am not well versed in economics. Thoughts?
Old 19th June 2007, 11:00 PM

Yes form a religious point of view we could say that the extremists will be successfull because God will be at their side first. From a secular point of view we could say that their success is mainly due to:

1- guerrilla like war in cities which makes conventional war impossible for the allied army
2- nuclear threat which makes many nations surrender without any war
3- Economic and social collapse of the western nations which are dependant on oil and resources.
4- there is even a social factor brought by secular sinful society. You see the conventional army does not exist in most european nations now but only professional armies. There are not enough well trained people ready to fight in a war. Young people in europe are not fit anymore, they are unprepared.
Just try to put side by side a well trained young extremist who fights zealantly for a misguided version of Islam with an unfit average young who likes to play videogames and listen to i-pods for most of the day. There is no match, my generation will be unable to prepare well for a war which will come suddenly like a storm even if we had the best weapons in the world.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)

Last edited by Rob : 19th June 2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:18 PM

good points

its scary seeing those young arabs being trained to become jihadists
Old 19th June 2007, 11:31 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post
One of these Princes was recently assigned to do a tour of duty in Iraq, can't remember which one. However it was eventually decided that he was not to go, because it was considered too dangerous a mission for him.
He might be a target of insurgents.. poor lad. So I don't quite understand how you think they could be hereos in WWIII, when they are denied the opportunity of getting any real training in the army?

Paul,

If I recall correctly, the primary reason for him not going was that her would draw attention to his man and possibly cause them great harm. He was very upset over the decision, but I think he will make the military his career if he is in need of one.

Cecil