CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th September 2007, 04:44 AM
themilitantcatholic

Default Global Warming

Why is The Church via the Pope getting involved in Global Warming?
I thought the Church's job 1 is to save souls, rather than be concerned about the weather.

By the way, all of the Global Warming theorists are just that, theories.
Global Warming as is being touted today by almost all Liberal politicians is not scientific fact.

The weather world-wide has changed dramatically throughout eons, and will continue to do so.

All of the pinko Liberals are pointing a finger at Bush, as if he is the sole blame for "Global Warming".

We don't even have any factories in this country anymore!
The factories that are producing pollution and causing "Global Warming" are all in China!
Does anyone honestly think that China will listen to the Pope, in regards to Global Warming?

One last question, why is the Pope visiting the U.N.?
Don't get me started on the U.N. .
Old 24th September 2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilitantcatholic View Post
I thought the Church's job 1 is to save souls, rather than be concerned about the weather.

In this country, environmental issues (or global warming) is the fourth major issue for an upcoming federal election. They are debating as to whether or not to install expensive desalination plants to obtain water, in every capital city, viz. Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane & Perth. If they run out of water, then city life cannot be sustained, therefore church communities would no longer survive etc. With long hot summers increased bush fires are also a threat due to Global Warming.
There is a vast network of supercomputers that can simulate earth's climatic changes due to increased Co2 emissions, so it no longer becomes a theory.
Lookout for more extreme global weather variations between now and in the upcoming years ahead.
All of Earth's citizens have a moral obligation to look after the planet, as faithful stewards of God's creation, so the Pope from a moral viewpoint is responsible in getting involved and he is also the diplomatic head of the political state of the Vatican which may or not be a signatory of the Kyoto agreement, of which the USA and Australia refused to sign but 169 other countries have rattified it?
Once again, the Vatican State is a member nation of the U.N. so the Pope can't easily ignore it.
Old 24th September 2007, 01:21 PM
AI2001

Default Even the Church is susceptible to pinko commie ideas...

Quote:

By the way, all of the Global Warming theorists are just that, theories.
Global Warming as is being touted today by almost all Liberal politicians is not scientific fact.

The weather world-wide has changed dramatically throughout eons, and will continue to do so.

All of the pinko Liberals are pointing a finger at Bush, as if he is the sole blame for "Global Warming".

We don't even have any factories in this country anymore!
The factories that are producing pollution and causing "Global Warming" are all in China!
Does anyone honestly think that China will listen to the Pope, in regards to Global Warming?

Even the Church is susceptible to pinko commie ideas & junk science...

If you tell a lie often enough, it is accepted as the truth & the Church is a man made institution (not perfect)...

I remember in the 1980's when Reagan was president we were told that in 20 yrs time we were going to be suffering from a NEW ICE AGE (I actually have a pdf file of the article I think from TIME magazine or perhaps NEWSWEEK - - - I will have to find it from 1974 that talks about THE NEW ICE AGE)...

The TIMEs' article about the coming ice age:

Another Ice Age?

Haaaa look what I found, even better than the TIME magazine article:

Journalists have warned of climate change for 100 years, but can’t decide weather we face an ice age or warming

By R. Warren Anderson
Research Analyst

It was five years before the turn of the century and major media were warning of disastrous climate change. Page six of The New York Times was headlined with the serious concerns of “geologists.” Only the president at the time wasn’t Bill Clinton; it was Grover Cleveland. And the Times wasn’t warning about global warming – it was telling readers the looming dangers of a new ice age.

The year was 1895, and it was just one of four different time periods in the last 100 years when major print media predicted an impending climate crisis. Each prediction carried its own elements of doom, saying Canada could be “wiped out” or lower crop yields would mean “billions will die.”

Just as the weather has changed over time, so has the reporting – blowing hot or cold with short-term changes in temperature.

Following the ice age threats from the late 1800s, fears of an imminent and icy catastrophe were compounded in the 1920s by Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan and an obsession with the news of his polar expedition. As the Times put it on Feb. 24, 1895, “Geologists Think the World May Be Frozen Up Again.”

Those concerns lasted well into the late 1920s. But when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, newspapers and magazines responded with stories about the new threat. Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

After a while, that second phase of climate cautions began to fade. By 1954, Fortune magazine was warming to another cooling trend and ran an article titled “Climate – the Heat May Be Off.” As the United States and the old Soviet Union faced off, the media joined them with reports of a more dangerous Cold War of Man vs. Nature.

The New York Times ran warming stories into the late 1950s, but it too came around to the new fears. Just three decades ago, in 1975, the paper reported: “A Major Cooling Widely Considered to Be Inevitable.”

That trend, too, cooled off and was replaced by the current era of reporting on the dangers of global warming. Just six years later, on Aug. 22, 1981, the Times quoted seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

In all, the print news media have warned of four separate climate changes in slightly more than 100 years – global cooling, warming, cooling again, and, perhaps not so finally, warming. Some current warming stories combine the concepts and claim the next ice age will be triggered by rising temperatures – the theme of the 2004 movie “The Day After Tomorrow.”

PDF file of the above Fired & Ice special report...

Global warming, global cooling, coming ice ages, etc. is nothing but bunk created by the elites in order to control the 'common man'...

The elites gave up GOD and now they have found another religion, ENVIROMENTALISM they worship gaya or however you spell that and the RC Church is patently stupid for buying into this junk science...
Old 24th September 2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI2001 View Post
If you tell a lie often enough, it is accepted as the truth & the Church is a man made institution (not perfect)......

Our Church is Divinely made for Christ Himself instituted it.

Jesus is God and, therefore, it is perfectly instituted.

[Matthew 16]
{16:17} And in response, Jesus said to him: “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father, who is in heaven.
{16:18} And I say to you, that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
{16:19} And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound, even in heaven. And whatever you shall release on earth shall be released, even in heaven.”

The Church is being administrated by fellow humans beings like us until the Lords comes back, yes; and it is and here where mistakes can happen; however, Jesus has only left us Physically, but Divinely He is still with us at all times. God is still involved with His Church and if the Church's keepers or entrusted people (Pope, bishops, priests, etc.) are in constant communion with the Lord, there can be minor mistakes or even not mistakes at all on specific determinations they take.

Quote:
I thought the Church's job 1 is to save souls,

The Church's number one priority is to save our souls, definitely yes; but how does our Church save souls?....In order to save souls, there are duties that has to be done which go along with salvation, like feeding the poor, educate, help, etc.

The Pope has the responsibility to take care for us on our matters by prayer and deeds, no just prayer and no deeds. The Pope, as our shepherd, has to take care of his sheeps (all of us) by feeding them spiritually and physically so we do not die.

God will also ask the Pope what did he do on the concerns and issues of the world.

Pope Benedict XVI is a well studied and prepared person and if he has some concerns regarding the issue of Global Warming it is because he has to have some basis on why he is getting involved in it. Furthermore, Benedict XVI became Pope by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I’m sure the Pope acknowledges it, prays about his determinations and did not take this particular involvement on his own alone. I’m not saying he does not make mistakes for he is a man like all of us but he has a duty and responsibility to take care of all of us on earth on any matter led by what Divine Providence points him to do.

Remember the Church is also our Mother and we are her children.

Last edited by Brother : 24th September 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 24th September 2007, 04:08 PM
Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post
In this country, environmental issues (or global warming)
There is a vast network of supercomputers that can simulate earth's climatic changes due to increased Co2 emissions, so it no longer becomes a theory.

While the debate may still be out on the specifics, this statement is incorrect. Simply because a lot of people state that they believe a theory to be true, and even have simulations from supercomputers, it is still a theory unit it becomes proven. And it cannot be proven until it happens in accordance with the theory, no matter how strong a groups desire is.

A good explanation is from Stephen Hawking:

..."any physical theory is always provisional, in the sense that it is only a hypothesis; you can never prove it. No matter how many times the results of experiments agree with some theory, you can never be sure that the next time the result will not contradict the theory. On the other hand, you can disprove a theory by finding even a single repeatable observation which disagrees with the predictions of the theory".

Something becomes fact after an event, not before.

Dan
Old 24th September 2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Global Warming can be a theory but this is not a reason not to get involved with it because official teachings of the Church started from simple opinions until they progressed to a non-fallible teaching and lastly to an infallible dogma while other opinions stayed on that, simply opinions, and others even on official disapprovals.

This involvement of the Church does not necessarily mean this theory is correct, it is a continuous, developing and cautious study and learning of world matters.
Old 24th September 2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

[Matthew 9]
{9:11} And the Pharisees, seeing this, said to his disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
{9:12} But Jesus, hearing this, said: “It is not those who are healthy who are in need of a physician, but those who have maladies.
Old 24th September 2007, 05:33 PM

I dont know all the theories about global warming, but I have seen some Nova specials on PBS concerning it. I am not into politics. I've never voted. But its clear to me that global warming and other environmental issues are symptoms of a sinful world. An especially sinful seclular society in our times accross the globe. A disrespect for God's precious Creation. A disrespect for the sacredness of life in general, from a simple tree and even more especially an unborn child. So even though these political groups and scientists are misguided and maybe insincere, in my humble opinion there is some truth to what they are reporting.

Any natural scientist or person who is close to the natural world will tell you that there is a certain stress on the planet at this time in history. This is caused not only by the sins of men, but also by the imprudence and lack of wisdom, and lack of respect and worship of God the autor of all life.

Last edited by Climacus Areopagite : 24th September 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 24th September 2007, 05:46 PM
Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Global Warming can be a theory but this is not a reason not to get involved with it because official teachings of the Church started from simple opinions until they progressed to a non-fallible teaching and lastly to an infallible dogma while other opinions stayed on that, simply opinions, and others even on official disapprovals.

This involvement of the Church does not necessarily mean this theory is correct, it is a continuous, developing and cautious study and learning of world matters.

I think it may be a bit of a stretch to imply that the global warming is analogous to other dogmatic matters of faith and morals.

The cause of global warming is a scientific debate. Our treatment of God's gift of the earth may be somewhat in the realm of the Church, but I seriously doubt if the Church will make in infallible dogmatic statement on the science behind a debated theory on the subject.
Old 24th September 2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

I don’t think this particular matter will necessarily make into an official infallible doctrine of the Church either. How a Church infallible teaching comes to pass is an example of why a theory or opinion is not a reason of not being involved in this world warming matter. Also, not any Church's involvement will necessarily result in an official teaching either.

The Church’s involvement on this investigation is in regards of our way of living and keeping the world as safe as possible which involves salvation, our Church essential task.

Last edited by Brother : 24th September 2007 at 07:28 PM.