CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th September 2007, 01:46 AM

Default Faithful Stewards of God's Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post
All of Earth's citizens have a moral obligation to look after the planet, as faithful stewards of God's creation

Amen! We have dominion over the earth and its animals, but we have to exercise this stewardship so as to preserve the environment for future generations, and not squander the bountiful resources God has entrusted to us.

Over the last 100 years, the planet is getting warmer. Buildings built on permafrost (thought to be in a state of "perma"nent "frost") are sinking in Alaska and Scandanavia. The glaciers in the North Pole have melted considerably, now allowing a Northwest passage. We don't have to wait for a calamity. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Let's preserve and care for the environment.

But, more important, let us know, love, and serve our Creator.
Old 25th September 2007, 03:04 AM
Bomber

Wink

Much of the hype from the global warming theorists presupposes that man can have that much of an effect on the climate of the earth.

But I have not heard anybody, from anywhere, argue that we should be bad stewards of the earth. Nobody on the anti-warming side is calling for the destruction of the climate.

But many times the warming side seem to make an unspoken claim to be the sole protectors of the environment because they simply claim it thus.

I am not meaning to imply that is the case on this board, I am just stating that just because one doesn't believe the theory does not mean they are anti-earth.

But that is not how it is portrayed in the press most of the time. Usually it is anti-global warming = anti-earth = bad = immoral, and either goes unchallenged or worse, the person that disagrees is labeled a pariah.

In science, debate is good, not bad.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:27 AM

There are a lot of ways what man can do to save the planet.
A classic example is the ozone layer in the above image.
Notice how much thinner and bigger the hole over Antartica was in just over a decade. In the eary 1980's Man was using CFCs (Fluorocarbon gases) in Fridges, Air Conditioners and aerosol cans etc. Now they have changed over to Hydrocarbons (except China I think) which does not destroy the ozone layer, thereby preventing more harmful UV radiation from getting through which causes skin cancer etc..
So it is important to try and use clean forms of energy to cut down on the billions of man-made tonnes of Co2 gases, that are accumulating in the atmosphere year after year, that is starting to cause extreme global climate changes over a relatively short period of time.
Old 25th September 2007, 02:32 PM
AI2001

Default Provide such data..

Quote:
Notice how much thinner and bigger the hole over Antartica was in just over a decade. In the eary 1980's Man was using CFCs (Fluorocarbon gases) in Fridges, Air Conditioners and aerosol cans etc. Now they have changed over to Hydrocarbons (except China I think) which does not destroy the ozone layer, thereby preventing more harmful UV radiation from getting through which causes skin cancer etc..
So it is important to try and use clean forms of energy to cut down on the billions of man-made tonnes of Co2 gases, that are accumulating in the atmosphere year after year, that is starting to cause extreme global climate changes over a relatively short period of time.

Paul,

Please provide such data for the last 100 yrs, the last 1000 yrs, the last 10,000 years, the last 100,000 yrs, etc...etc...etc...

The Earth does not change its weather patterns so dramatically in the span of 11 yrs unless of course all those theories of the BIG BANG and the Earth being 5 or so billions years old is just a bunch of bunk...

Either changes on Earth occur over long periods or they happen in just a bit over a decade, you cannot have it both ways...

Also, NASA during the last few weeks has had egg on its face because it touted 1990 something as one of the hottest years on record and yet, just a normal blogger found that they were WRONG and that the hottest day on record was in fact 1934, etc...

Quote:
My earlier column this week detailed the work of a volunteer team to assess problems with US temperature data used for climate modeling. One of these people is Steve McIntyre, who operates the site climateaudit.org. While inspecting historical temperature graphs, he noticed a strange discontinuity, or "jump" in many locations, all occurring around the time of January, 2000.

These graphs were created by NASA’s Reto Ruedy and James Hansen (who shot to fame when he accused the administration of trying to censor his views on climate change). Hansen refused to provide McKintyre with the algorithm used to generate graph data, so McKintyre reverse-engineered it. The result appeared to be a Y2K bug in the handling of the raw data.

McKintyre notified the pair of the bug; Ruedy replied and acknowledged the problem as an "oversight" that would be fixed in the next data refresh.

NASA has now silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly astounding. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II. Anthony Watts has put the new data in chart form, along with a more detailed summary of the events.

Are we also responsbile for 'global warming' on:

-Pluto
-Mars
-Saturn
-Triton (Saturn's largest moon)
-Jupiter

All of the above seem to be undergoing some type of NATURAL phenomenon caused by the SUN's increased heat...

Only the Earth is suffering from MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING because it obviously is not affected by the SUN that it revolves around that is currently hotter & affecting many of the other planets/objects that revolve around it...

WOW, man is sooooooooo powerful that he is solely responsible for warming up Earth while the Sun is responsible for weather patterns & heat on the various planets/objects revolving around it.

P.S. If all else fails, follow the money & Al Gore, the head priest/prophet of GLOBAL WARMALISM is sure raking it in...
Old 25th September 2007, 03:17 PM
Bomber

Cool

AI:

That was an excellent point that illustrates what I was saying. Many state narrow slices of the theory to uphold the portion they want to believe. But the layperson does not usually receive all of the data unless he digs pretty deep. The media shows only one side.

As a friend of mine says to me all of the time:

"You can't love in slices; you got to love the whole pie!"

Dan
Old 25th September 2007, 04:36 PM

Default Data Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI2001 View Post
Paul,

Please provide such data for the last 100 yrs

Please see http://www.ncdc.ncoa.gov/paleo/globa...trumental.html

If for some reason the link doesn't work, you can put "global warming & data" in google and find the same site.

The National Climatic Data Center from the US Dep't of Commerce has assembled two measures of temperatures which demonstrate a rise from 1975through the present. The rise in temperature is documented and not in dispute.
Old 25th September 2007, 06:04 PM
AI2001

Default Global Warming - The Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Thomas More View Post
Please see http://www.ncdc.ncoa.gov/paleo/globa...trumental.html

If for some reason the link doesn't work, you can put "global warming & data" in google and find the same site.

The National Climatic Data Center from the US Dep't of Commerce has assembled two measures of temperatures which demonstrate a rise from 1975through the present. The rise in temperature is documented and not in dispute.

St. Thomas More,

Interesting, data from 1975 to 2007 that would be ummm how many years?!?

32 yrs...

How long has man been keeping a record of temperatures?

100 yrs?
150 yrs?

How old is Earth?

Would you agree that the Earth is 5 billion years old?

If you do, man has only collected enough data concerning temperatures for
.0000003% (150 yrs / 5 billions years) of the Earths existence...

Is 150 yrs really enough time to know if we are affecting the climate in a world that is 5 billion years old?!?

Is 32 yrs of data really enough time to know if we are affecting the climate in a world that is 5 billion years old?!?

Did you know that in 1974 the media was touting the fact that we were going to have an ICE AGE in 20 yrs time?!? (Links provided in one of my previous posts)...

Why are other planets (as named in previous post), gaseous clouds & various objects that orbit around the Sun getting warmer?!?

Are we also polluting space with our usage of gasoline, coal, breathing, flatulance, etc...and ?!?

Should we hold ourselves responsible for the "GLOBAL WARMING" happening on other planets of our solar system?!?

If I was Al Gore, the Prophet of GLOBAL WARMALISM, I certainly would find a way to convince the faithful because it would mean $$$$ for me...Especially if I got into the business of selling SOLAR SYSTEM CARBON OFFSET CREDITS...

We simply do not have enough data in order to make such sweeping assumptions...
Old 26th September 2007, 03:45 AM
AI2001

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
AI:

That was an excellent point that illustrates what I was saying. Many state narrow slices of the theory to uphold the portion they want to believe. But the layperson does not usually receive all of the data unless he digs pretty deep. The media shows only one side.

As a friend of mine says to me all of the time:

"You can't love in slices; you got to love the whole pie!"

Dan

Hiya Bomber,

Thanks...

Sorry but I would have replied earlier but something happens at work & I can only post 2-3 times and then it stops working...

Global Warming is nothing but the 'new scam' on the block, during Reagan's era it was the coming Ice Age (death by freezing in 20 yrs time) before that it was something else & before that it was something else, again...

Constant B.S. over & over, the usual result?!? Further intrusion of the elites/government into our lives wresting more & more control from the peeons that they consider to be too stupid to think for themselves & need their betters to decide everything for them...

I personally am sick of it...
Old 26th September 2007, 03:55 AM
AI2001

Default And another thing...

Quote:

When did man discover the equipment to be able to map/detect the OZONE LAYER?!?

How long has the OZONE LAYER been in existence?!?

How can man take 11 yrs worth of data & apply it to 5 billion years of Earth's geological/climate data?!?

All of these "climate changes" must be taken ON FAITH, which points to nothing more than a religion because it certainly is NOT SCIENTIFIC FACT...

And if that is the case, GLOBAL WARMALISM = RELIGION & anyone that buys into that B.S. is breaking the 1st Commandment of:

Quote:
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.3

It is written: "You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve."4
Old 26th September 2007, 06:03 AM
themilitantcatholic

My good fellow members, you all bring up some very fine points. Yet, the crux of the matter is China.

China is producing most of the harmful emissions presently (everything we pick up in the stores is made in China), if all of us Americans would ride bicycles to work and plant trees like Johnny Appleseed, it would not matter, because China has no restrictions at all on pollution, the Chinese government is only concerned about feeding their war-machine via the profits they make from Americans buying all of their goods like there's no tomorrow.

Pope John Paul II warned us about excessive consumerism in the '80s when he visited here in the U.S. and since then up until now, we Americans have been on the road to perdition when it comes to consumerism.