CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2006, 09:00 PM
Padraig

Ron,

Addressing your points: I as a Catholic layman not a theologian so I take cognacence of your points. Which are basically that the State of Israel is acting in self defense. This of course a point raised by Saint Thomas Aquinas in his Summa in his theory of a just war.

However our present Holy Father Pope Benedict, the former Cardinal Ratzinger , generally agreed to be the pereminent Catholic theologian of modern times; our present Holy Father,the Vicar of Christ; appears to be at odds with you in outwardly condemning the Israeli attack on the Lebanon. Of course whilst realizing that the Holy Father may, in fact be wrong and you yourself be right ,I would like to take issue with you on a number of points you make.

You may in fact be right.

The Pope may be wrong.

However in general principle please forgive me if I follow the Pope in the first place. Show me where the Pope and his theology and His interpretation of the will Holy Spirit, at odds with your own, has gone wrong and I'm you're man.

You confused me earlier on in your web site by telling me that its theologcally right for a Catholic to follow the Holy Father. Now apparently the Holy Father is theologically wrong

Please explain how I should listen to you rather than the Vicar of Christ, Pope Benedict?

Where exactly has the Holy Father gone wrong? Not ;lsitening to 'Fox News'???
Old 17th July 2006, 09:17 PM

I support Israel. Israel must continure in its actions to stop the bombardment from Gaza and Lebanon. Israel makes every attempt to avoid deaths to the innocent civilian population... but in any military campaign these deaths do occur. Padraig, to imply we are not Patriotic Americans by supporting Israel is irrelevant. Your statements that follow are for the most part correct, but comparing those points to having some connection to patriotism is garbage. Your correct in that we have nothing to gain by supporting Israel. Does anyone really expect Israel to sit by and be bombed day in and day out while waiting for the nations of the world to give it a thumbs up in order to defend itself.
I was disgusted with the Pope for his condemnation of Israel...does that make me UnCatholic. It would have been just as easy for the Pope to call for Peace on both sides without having to condemn anyone.
Old 17th July 2006, 09:24 PM
Padraig

So the Holy Father is wrong and you are right.
Old 17th July 2006, 09:28 PM
Padraig

Yes I understand; I as a pro life Catholic should support the killing pf people in the Lebanon in direct contravention of the will of the Vicar of Christ. What because Ron Conte says the Pope is wrong and he's right?

Or because you say the Pope's wrong and you're right?

Which is it?
Old 17th July 2006, 09:34 PM
Padraig

Supermarket Catholics, pick and choose 'Catholics' , Protestants. placing America before the Holy See. In direct opposition to the Pope. Rank disobedience. Shame.
Old 17th July 2006, 09:40 PM
Bomber

Padraig,

I agree with many of your points above, bu I am interested in what you think about Lebanon's role in allowing Hezbollah to operate in their country.

Also, what would you do if you were running Israel right now?

(You will see this post also as a new entry, I hit the wrong button)
Old 17th July 2006, 09:50 PM
Bomber

Also,

The Vatican didn't just condemn Israel, it also condemned the Terrorists.
Old 17th July 2006, 09:54 PM
Padraig

Well Bomber I might be an old fashioned Catholic but I'll tell you this: you ask me what I would do? I would first thing in the morning ring up the Pope and ask Him what he had to say. The very last thing I would ever dream of doing on a public forum like this is to publically disagree with the Holy Father.

I tell you this Bomber. My realm of Theology is Mystical . If anyone who said they had an apparition of Our Blesed Lady or direct contact with God were to be in direct opposition to the Holy Father and the Holy See as people on this forum have so obviously done I would laugh in their face.

Disobedience to me is sure sign of the pesence of Satan. Pride.
Its wrong, Bomber, it's, wrong.

'I'm right.'

'The Pope's wrong.'

Crazy.
Old 17th July 2006, 10:05 PM
Padraig

Let me be honest, Bomber; I'm praying tonight about leaving this forum. I'm very disturbed to be in a place were the Holy Father is subjected to such open disobedience.
Old 17th July 2006, 10:07 PM
Bomber

Padraig,

You seem to be upset to the point of either missing the intent of my question out of emotion or choice. I don't know about the others, I was asking as much as to gleen something for my own edification as I was to make a point.

When somebody asks a question to learn, but they get emotional non-specific answers, how does that help anyone?

I'm not sure what you are saying exactly with the appirations of Mary and such. I don't know what that has to do with my question.

Also, how do you imply that I have "disobedience" and ally myself with Satan? I thought this was a discussion forum. All I wanted was to LEARN something.

Are you offended that I asked you about what you thought about Lebanon's role and what Israel should do about the terrorists?

I could not find where the Pope said that Israel should ignore Hezbollah.

Do you really think that makes me a follower of Satan?