CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2008, 10:31 PM

Default Varying Degrees of Pro-abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I was just listening to Chris Matthews (of the political show Hardball) say that Sarah Palin had an extremist view on abortion, because she opposes all abortion, even in cases of rape or incest. Yet Matthews is Catholic, and she is Protestant.

Catholics who publicly state a pro-abortion position should be excommunicated. In fact, they are automatically excommunicated under Canon Law for rejecting the definitive teaching of the Church on faith and morals (an act of heresy). But this is not put into effect by many Bishops.

ABC news has reported, "She is a staunch opponent of abortion rights, and a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. Her youngest child is a boy named Trig who was born in April and has Down Syndrome. The parents were aware of the diagnosis when Palin was four months pregnant, but they decided to have the child anyway."

This above statement suggests that either Sarah Palin or her husband do not come under supporting Abortion in the First Degree. What I mean by this is that when a baby is diagnosed with Down Syndrome, hospital staff typically advise the mother to recommend having an abortion.
Clearly she and her husband made a joint decison not to proceed terminating the baby's life. So with her own children it can be said she is surely not guilty of carrying out abortion in the First Degree, but I would say, she most likely comes under the category of murder in the Second Degree, of not taking any effort to prevent abortion by helping to make it illegal, by being an influential Governor.
Instead the exact opposite in relaxing the existing laws to promote these as 'rights', for the expectant mother.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:42 AM
mariateresa

Default Sarah Palin Develops Strong Pro-Life Record on Abortion as Alaska Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bellett View Post
ABC news has reported, "She is a staunch opponent of abortion rights, and a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. Her youngest child is a boy named Trig who was born in April and has Down Syndrome. The parents were aware of the diagnosis when Palin was four months pregnant, but they decided to have the child anyway."

This above statement suggests that either Sarah Palin or her husband do not come under supporting Abortion in the First Degree. What I mean by this is that when a baby is diagnosed with Down Syndrome, hospital staff typically advise the mother to recommend having an abortion.
Clearly she and her husband made a joint decison not to proceed terminating the baby's life. So with her own children it can be said she is surely not guilty of carrying out abortion in the First Degree, but I would say, she most likely comes under the category of murder in the Second Degree, of not taking any effort to prevent abortion by helping to make it illegal, by being an influential Governor.
Instead the exact opposite in relaxing the existing laws to promote these as 'rights', for the expectant mother.

http://www.lifenews.com/state3460.html

Sarah Palin Develops Strong Pro-Life Record on Abortion as Alaska Governor

Anchorage, AK (LifeNews.com) -- As the governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin hasn't had many opportunities to address the issue of abortion, but she has promoted a pro-life position when given the opportunity. Palin has appeared to have an attitude focusing on getting pro-life measures approved but making sure they're done right.

The Alaska legislature approved a parental consent bill to help parents know when their minor children are considering an abortion and to give them the ability to veto the abortion.

The Alaska Supreme Court eventually declared unconstitutional on a 3-2 vote.

Palin called the high court's ruling "outrageous" and asked Attorney General Talis Colberg to file legal papers asking for a re-hearing.

"She feels parental consent is reasonable because it is required in nearly every aspect of a child's life. It's a parent's right and responsibility to be involved in their child's life," spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said at the time.

Since the decision, Governor Palin appointed Daniel Winfree of Fairbanks to replace one of the judges who sided with the majority in overturning the consent statute.

That earned her praise from Alaska Right to Life, the state's leading pro-life group.

Its former president Bob Bird wrote in January that Palin has been "a pro-life stalwart every year since she entered the political scene" and said she "gave an encouraging speech for the pro-lifers in attendance at the 'Proudly Pro-Life Banquet'" the group sponsored.

Earlier this year, Palin rejected adding debates over a partial-birth abortion ban and parental consent measure to the special legislative session. While that may have seemed like a rejection of the pro-life position, Palin said legislative leaders have given her no plan for successfully passing the bills.

While she would have preferred to see the bills put into law, she had no guarantee that spending significant amounts of taxpayer funds on the special session would result in a bill that would be sent to her desk to sign.

The bills were held up in the Senate because of pro-abortion Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Hollis French. Palin said she would be supportive "if the Senate president can show a path to success."

Palin was disappointed "Senate President Green did not exhaust every possible option during the regular session to move the legislation."

House speaker John Harris admitted it would be a "futile" effort to have a special session.

Ultimately, Palin said she was disappointed the parental involvement measure never made it to her to sign.

"My belief is parents have the right to know about the health and welfare of their children," she said.
Old 30th August 2008, 01:21 AM

Default Great choice by McCain

McCain showed, in my opinion, a ton of guts with this choice. It will be attacked by the liberal,secular and abortion-favoring media. What makes this all interesting is that most elections, I believe,are won in the hearts and minds of average, law-abiding, honest Americans with decent values,not in the mouths and wails of so-called objective journalists.

Now this choice makes the Warning's effects win/win. If the GOP loses with such a pro-life VP candidate, the Warning's pro-life impact will seem all the more a repudiation of that choice. If, however, the GOP wins, the Warning will seem a ratification of that choice in a way. Unfortunately, I think that the Dems will win and the Warning will be God's answer to that.
Old 30th August 2008, 02:28 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post

Now this choice makes the Warning's effects win/win. If the GOP loses with such a pro-life VP candidate, the Warning's pro-life impact will seem all the more a repudiation of that choice. If, however, the GOP wins, the Warning will seem a ratification of that choice in a way. Unfortunately, I think that the Dems will win and the Warning will be God's answer to that.

The world population is currently hovering around 6.7 billion. The United States makes up 4.5% of that with its 300 million residents. The Warning of Garabandal and Medjugorje is for the whole world. We might do well to consider that the sun does not rise and set on America alone. Also, we might look to other great and prophetic world leaders like Ghandi and his views on what happens to a society when it embraces contraception:

http://oldarchive.godspy.com/life/Ga...-Vitz.cfm.html

It's fine for a politician to be for or against a certain aspect of the "pro-life" cause, but unless the root of society's ills are taken into account, they are inevitably missing the mark. It is hypocritical to say that a Protestant Republican is "pro-life" and has a "pro-life" voting record when he or she is using contraception or approves of contraception between married couples. There is no contraceptive device that is 100% effective, so the widespread use of it, inevitably leads to widespread abortion, regardless of ethnicity, country, and whether it is legal or illegal.

That's wonderful that we have a "pro-life" VP candidate who has given a good example by giving birth to a baby with Downs Syndrome which she was undoubtedly told to abort. But, we will see whether or not she speaks publicly on the evils of contraception for married people. More than likely, she approves of it, because she is not Catholic. Now, how do she and McCain propose to solve the problem of the 47 million Americans who are uninsured, many of them children? The Warning could just as well be a repudiation of politicians who looked the other way as uninsured children died in the country they pledged to serve.

Incidentally, I don't hear anyone from other countries with socialized medicine complaining about their health care system in this forum.
Old 30th August 2008, 03:21 AM

I didn't ask to hear them complain. I asked to hear what they had to say!
Old 30th August 2008, 04:09 AM

In 1970, four states -- Alaska, Hawaii, New York and Washington -- adopted the most liberal laws in the country, allowing a woman to have an abortion whenever she and her doctor decided it was needed.
Some of these laws in these states are still in place protecting abortion through statutes or through the constitution.
Not knowing Governer Sarah Palin of Alaska very well, I was a bit too hasty pointing the finger of blame on her for allowing abortion in Alaska to be made legal, but it appears from MariaTeresa's above article she does not have enough power as Governer to overturn state law to make these prolife.
Thanks for posting the lifenews article about this MariaTeresa.
Old 30th August 2008, 04:09 AM

Default Palin

Ron, did you not mention that a female would be President, and change the laws on abortion after the warning? Wasnt this a summation on studying prophecy? I see nothing has changed, Hillary would have been the annointed one, God had different plans. It still compliments your theory that a woman will be in command and end abortion. So Obama cant win with Biden on the ticket, prophecy dictates it. Please clarify.
Old 30th August 2008, 04:36 AM

Just curious Jose as to why, you list your location on this forum as 'Safety Area'?
Old 30th August 2008, 05:46 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
I didn't ask to hear them complain. I asked to hear what they had to say!

I am interested, too. We've only heard from a few so far and with good reports.
Old 30th August 2008, 06:11 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Ron, did you not mention that a female would be President, and change the laws on abortion after the warning? Wasnt this a summation on studying prophecy? I see nothing has changed, Hillary would have been the annointed one, God had different plans. It still compliments your theory that a woman will be in command and end abortion. So Obama cant win with Biden on the ticket, prophecy dictates it. Please clarify.

Ron has freely admitted that he has not received any private revelation. He has studied Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium, the writings of the saints and blesseds and the true revelations of the Blessed Mother. His writings about the future are what seems most Providential to him.

Biden is a strong Catholic in that he is committed to social justice in the tradition of Dorothy Day (caring for the poor and vulnerable), but is wrong about allowing abortion to remain legal, even though he believes it is wrong. It is the only position that is not hypocritical given the widespread use of contraception in our culture. (Yes, I know you are going to say he should be excommunicated, Ron. But, I saw a video of Cardinal Arinze laughing at a question about what we should do with such politicians. Arinze asked, "what do you want me to do; send Swiss guards to arrest them?" and then he broke into laughter. Cardinal Arinze is the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and is predicted to be our next Pope!). After the Warning, Biden could easily influence many people and change their hearts about abortion when peoples' eyes are opened to the connection between contraception and abortion. It does not have to be Hillary, although she could still influence many as the Senator of a prominent state. However, no politician is going to bring an end to abortion. People's hearts are going to change at the time of the Warning and there will be no need for either legal abortion or back-alley illegal abortions.

Last edited by Sacredcello : 30th August 2008 at 06:23 AM.