CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2011, 12:01 AM
Bonaventure

Default Muslim hatred toward USA

Can anyone explain what the origin is of the vehement hatred of the US by Muslim extremists? Did it simply start because of the faith?
Old 5th February 2011, 07:11 AM

Well,..you could argue that it was spawned out the class divide, that was created by the Western demand for oil, in the MIddle East. When the Brits and Americans pandered and protected little uneducated sheiks and emirs, (to ensure a constant supply of oil, and not to have to deal with any burgeoning arab democratic government in the 50's, 60's and 70's)..what they did was create a class of super rich arabs which was quite unheard of, since the times of the Mongul emperors. Islam had instituted a sort of religious communist of the arab, under a shah or mullah where all were equal, but no large state treasury .... and then of course Israel!

But in my opinion..what set the rancour really volatile in recent times is Collin Powell appearing on arab TV with a half smirk, half sheepish grin, saying that the reprisal against the retreating Iraqi soldiers from Kuwait, " was turning out to be a massacre.." remember that F-16 and helicopter attack on a convoy of cars in the desert?..Personally, and I live in Asia with absolutely no sympathy for the muslim cause.. i believe this was the spark.

because till then the might of America to the rest of the world was of mythical proportions...until a bunch of raggamuffin pakistani s teamed up with a ragtag band of hardcore fanatics to pull off the 9/11 stunt.

And ironically, what is fuelling these fanatics now is this psychosis of national fear in America, (that is so open for the world to see), that was unimaginable to the rest of the world till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
Can anyone explain what the origin is of the vehement hatred of the US by Muslim extremists? Did it simply start because of the faith?
Old 5th February 2011, 11:48 AM
Bonaventure

what is fuelling these fanatics now is this psychosis of national fear in America, (that is so open for the world to see), that was unimaginable to the rest of the world till then.

this was a wonderful explanation, Jude. But I don't understand your last sentence...can you elaborate?
Old 7th February 2011, 03:16 PM

Bonaventure,..

(I couldnt find your name on your profile).....

This is what I meant : Until 9/11, the image of America to the underdogs of the world, was an irrespressible force, with mostly Christian values, and impervious to the influence of foreign culture or the opinions from the rest of the world. and even if the odd redneck, loudmouthed racist did tinge the image from time to time,..the general feeling was, America was ..what can I say?.... "good"..yeah simply "good"..and America couldnt be threatened...!!!!just couldnt!

See, Im from India, and we knowthe Muslims thru and thru..if the Brits hadnt come to India, ( I'll probably get lynched for saying it..but its the truth..!) Both Hinduism and Christianity would have been wiped out by the Muslims..my point is..what we are seeing post 9/11 is that, the last bastion has fallen... need i ask ..would the great american way of life prior to 9/11 ever have countenanced a mosque at a spot where americans were murdered by muslims? American TV programs are showing US born Muslims justifying the spread of Islam in america, by explaining that thats the essence of democracy..in fact it may be!
But to suddenly ignore the fact that Islamic countries continue to brutalize non-muslim residents under the shariat law, with cave man like practises...!!!..and America was the most outspoken about this for decades after Britain bowing to pressure from the Pakistani immigrants and France..oh my God.. La propre France de Dieu!!...bowing to the North African immigrant pressure..they 've come out with a rule that crucifixes cant be worn too school,..'cos the Muslim veils are banned..! The Pakistanis pressured the Middle eastern countries to exert their influence on europe..we never imagined they could do that to America...
nOw whats even more disconcerting is that americans are turning on americans for the world to see...this racial profiling, home land security..its so completely changed a way of life ..its what is done around these parts with less fancy names..not america for goodness sakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
what is fuelling these fanatics now is this psychosis of national fear in America, (that is so open for the world to see), that was unimaginable to the rest of the world till then.

this was a wonderful explanation, Jude. But I don't understand your last sentence...can you elaborate?
Old 7th February 2011, 03:41 PM

P.S.

...so, if we who looked upto america can see this vulnerability, then these extremists must feel they've made a chink in the armour of the great US of A...and America's apparent sudden 'reaching out' to embrace the Islamic culture and moderates, will be seen as a foothold into further invasive activity by them.

If you just take a cursory look at Indian history till the brits landed, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyfifer View Post
Bonaventure,..

(I couldnt find your name on your profile).....

This is what I meant : Until 9/11, the image of America to the underdogs of the world, was an irrespressible force, with mostly Christian values, and impervious to the influence of foreign culture or the opinions from the rest of the world. and even if the odd redneck, loudmouthed racist did tinge the image from time to time,..the general feeling was, America was ..what can I say?.... "good"..yeah simply "good"..and America couldnt be threatened...!!!!just couldnt!

See, Im from India, and we knowthe Muslims thru and thru..if the Brits hadnt come to India, ( I'll probably get lynched for saying it..but its the truth..!) Both Hinduism and Christianity would have been wiped out by the Muslims..my point is..what we are seeing post 9/11 is that, the last bastion has fallen... need i ask ..would the great american way of life prior to 9/11 ever have countenanced a mosque at a spot where americans were murdered by muslims? American TV programs are showing US born Muslims justifying the spread of Islam in america, by explaining that thats the essence of democracy..in fact it may be!
But to suddenly ignore the fact that Islamic countries continue to brutalize non-muslim residents under the shariat law, with cave man like practises...!!!..and America was the most outspoken about this for decades after Britain bowing to pressure from the Pakistani immigrants and France..oh my God.. La propre France de Dieu!!...bowing to the North African immigrant pressure..they 've come out with a rule that crucifixes cant be worn too school,..'cos the Muslim veils are banned..! The Pakistanis pressured the Middle eastern countries to exert their influence on europe..we never imagined they could do that to America...
nOw whats even more disconcerting is that americans are turning on americans for the world to see...this racial profiling, home land security..its so completely changed a way of life ..its what is done around these parts with less fancy names..not america for goodness sakes!
Old 7th February 2011, 07:31 PM
TheGiftOfLife

My simplified take.... Its not only the USA that they have issues with. Their practices and treatment of humans (in general) are againt what Christ taught. When you follow a religion that is not the "One True", I think you enevitablly fall into disarray. In this case its anger and hate (not Love, remember, God is Love) and they will justify it even if they have to go back the the crusades to do it. - Im not talking on an individual level here but more a religious societal perspective.
Old 7th February 2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I just want to clarify that these negative comments are fittingly applied to Muslim extremists, but not to the many devout Muslims in the world.

At Medjugorje, the Virgin Mary was asked who in the town was holiest, and she named a Muslim woman as among the holiest there.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:07 PM
Bonaventure

Agreed, Ron. Pashi was the woman the Virgin Mary said was the holiest and most devout in the village. She had a deep relationship with God. Muslim extremists hate the US. But as I watched Egypt footage, so many people on the streets threw rocks at the journalists and said how they hate the US or America. So I wonder how widespread that sentiment is in Egypt which is a more westernized, accepting Muslim country or at least considered to have been an ally until recently.
Old 8th February 2011, 04:58 AM

My apologies Ron, if my vehemence appeared uncharitable and unchristian....yes, I realize I shouldnt generalize people while expressing comments about the character of some.....

It is extremely humbling to know that Mother Mary named a muslim woman as among the holiest in Medjugorje....

I myself posted sometime back that it was Muslims who protected a Christian Mission Hospital, against Hindu extremists.....

..makes me look a bit wishy-washy but I'm always open to self improvement.

But at least it should highlight how insecure Christians are in predominantly non Christian countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I just want to clarify that these negative comments are fittingly applied to Muslim extremists, but not to the many devout Muslims in the world.

At Medjugorje, the Virgin Mary was asked who in the town was holiest, and she named a Muslim woman as among the holiest there.
Old 8th February 2011, 12:57 PM
Administrator

The Virgin Mary was asked who was holiest, and perhaps the questioner's intention was to determine who was holier than everyone else in the village. But I don't think her answer was who was holiest. There are two types of superlatives: the one that is the most above all others, and any number that are among the most. It seems more in keeping with the Gospel for Mary to use the second type of superlative. When the Apostles asked Jesus who was greatest among them, He did not answer; he corrected them.

Mary's answer, too, was a type of correction. They wanted to know who was holiest among the Catholics there, as a type of self-exaltation or as a type of exaltation of one's favorite priest or visionary. The questioner probably imagined the holiest would be a priest or visionary. So Mary corrected them by pointing out that a Muslim woman was among the holiest.