CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2007, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Default Changes to the group rules

I've made some changes to the group rules.
Please read them:
http://catholicplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=928

It was brought to my attention that some members were using the private messaging system to make uncharitable comments about members of the group (including but not limited to myself), and to undermine teachings and discussions in the forums themselves. These members have been banned.

Uncharitable posts, or uncharitable private messages (if these come to my attention), by anyone, will result in banning.

Also, the PM system is not to be used for the purpose of undermining any thread by PMing some persons who post in a thread to make your comments on a topic privately, especially when making negative comments. Please participate in the discussions openly and charitably. Please keep disagreements charitable, making the case for your point of view on faith and reason, and not on the personal criticism of others.

Ron
Old 9th July 2007, 05:48 AM
Padraig

I'll pray for them.
Old 9th July 2007, 01:50 PM

Ron,

If a member who has been banned is remorseful, apologizes, and retracts his/her statements, will he or she be permitted to post again on the forum?

Is a banned member still able to read the threads without posting?

Hopefully I will never find myself in this predicament, but I'm just curious. It's the women who seem to be dropping like flies. Personally, I find this forum to be unique from all others, with a no-nonsense approach to our faith. The frills and fluff are nice sometimes, but these times are critical and time is short. I am quite happy to be here.

Joey
Old 9th July 2007, 02:08 PM

Smile

Hi, I'm still here...with work I do not have much time to post...I do read a lot...

God Bless,

MA
Old 9th July 2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

It is unlikely that any banned member would be readmitted. This is especially true when the offense is misuse of the PM system, since I cannot monitor PMs.

Non-members and banned members can read posts, which are viewable by the general public.

In the past, I have banned some men. Also, members do not realize that I refuse to admit some persons, including some men, based on e-mail conversations with applicants.

I think that what happened was this: one or more members were unhappy with my posts about women's roles. But then they did not respond by merely disagreeing or by posting an argument based on faith and reason. Instead, they made personal attacks (not only against me), and they encouraged other members in this same behavior. So, via the PM system, some members influenced other members in a very uncharitable way.

I am upset that the PM system of this group would be used not only to make uncharitable remarks, but to influence other members in sinful behavior and in beliefs contrary to Tradition and Scripture. This group is supposed to edify members and strengthen their faith, not weaken it.

I considered shutting off the PM system, but many members use PMs in a responsible manner, so I will leave it on for now.

Ron
Old 9th July 2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks Ron for letting us know the updated rules and regulations of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

I am upset that the PM system of this group would be used not only to make uncharitable remarks, but to influence other members in sinful behavior and in beliefs contrary to Tradition and Scripture. This group is supposed to edify members and strengthen their faith, not weaken it.

I considered shutting off the PM system, but many members use PMs in a responsible manner, so I will leave it on for now.

Ron

I think that would be a good option. In this case, if a person wants to contact another member for something personal, then, the member should publicly request the other memberís e-mail here in the forum so youíll know who is having personal contacts with whom. Of course, whatever they talk with their personal e-mails shall be between God an them but the forum shall not be used for private messages.

The decision is up to you.

As for the members who used this PM tool the wrong way, love and prayers for you.

Peace.

God Bless.