CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Limbo

Does anyone have any questions about limbo?
I'm working on an article on the topic and I'd like to know what points people might be confused on.

Ron
Old 13th October 2006, 04:24 PM

Ron,

I remember reading in Anne Catherine Emmerich's book that after He died on the cross Christ went into Limbo and released all the souls there. They were waiting for Him but did not know when their release would occur. If my memory serves me correctly this included the Patriarchs and other holy people we Know of before the Passion. In turn, Christ's death opened up the gates of Heaven.
Old 13th October 2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I recall reading that in her writings.

I'll address that idea in the article.

Ron
Old 15th October 2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Limbo, a primer

There are three different ideas that have each used the term limbo:

1. limbo of the fathers - a kind of upper level of Purgatory, where the fathers are said to have waited for Christ to die for their salvation, so that they could enter Heaven.

Certainly, there is truth to the idea that those who died before Christ are nevertheless saved by Him. It is not true that they have to wait for time to pass as if they were still on earth; time in Purgatory is not the same as time on earth, and Heaven is beyond the limits of time. But there is still some merit to this idea; it merely needs some refinement.

2. limbo of Hell - a kind of upper level of Hell where persons go who die without sanctifying grace because they were both conceived with original sin and never found sanctifying grace in their lives. These persons are punished less than those who had sanctifying grace through Baptism and then lost it through actual mortal sin, never repented, and ended in Hell. This idea was affirmed by Pope Pius VI in the Papal Bull, Auctorem Fidei, issued in 1794. It was also taught by the Council of Florence.

3. limbo as a place between Heaven and Hell - a third final resting place, of perfect natural happiness, but lacking the Beatific Vision and the communion of the saint. This idea was called false, rash, and injurious by Pope Pius VI in the Papal Bull, Auctorem Fidei, issued in 1794. St. Thomas taught, in his interpretation of Matthew 25, that there are only two final resting places.

They say that the Pope may do away with the idea of limbo, but there are three different versions of the idea. The limbo of Purgatory and the limbo of Hell are probably not dispensible ideas, but are in need of some refinement. The idea of limbo as a third final resting place can safely be condemned by theologians as contrary to the Faith.

Ron Conte