CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default Praying for frozen embryos

In my book CCE, I estimate that there are approx. 1 million frozen human embryos in the world.

Am I the only one praying for these poor souls of human beings conceived through artificial procreation and frozen with little or no hope of ever being born?
Old 17th May 2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
In my book CCE, I estimate that there are approx. 1 million frozen human embryos in the world.

Am I the only one praying for these poor souls of human beings conceived through artificial procreation and frozen with little or no hope of ever being born?

Ron, for what purpose they froze human embryos? Just for scientific laboratory trial and error?

Maybe movie The Ma*rix inspired from this... sad.., but God permit this, interesting isn't it or saddening or confusing?
Old 17th May 2010, 03:26 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

Ron, any way to know if this number continues to increase? Are there regulations in place to mandate their level of activity?
Old 17th May 2010, 03:53 PM

that was one of the bleak surprises I experienced in reading your book. Ever since that I started praying for them in the DM chaplet.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
Ron, for what purpose they froze human embryos? Just for scientific laboratory trial and error?

Maybe movie The Ma*rix inspired from this... sad.., but God permit this, interesting isn't it or saddening or confusing?

They create a number of embryos through in vitro fertilization (IVF). They select some for implantation in the womb. They select some for freezing in case the implantation fails, or in case the couple wishes to have a child years later. I think that after selecting some for implantation and some for freezing, they destroy the rest.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Ron, any way to know if this number continues to increase? Are there regulations in place to mandate their level of activity?

Italy passed a law prohibiting most freezing of embryos. But most developed nations have increased their use of IVF and probably increased the number of embryos frozen each year. The vast majority remain frozen and no attempt is made to give them birth.

Some frozen embroys are thawed and used for 'quality assurance' purposes.

The U.S. has laws requiring the reporting of certain information to the CDC by fertility clinics, but what is reported is procedures, not the number and state of each conceived human person.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:14 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Is it a legitimate request for a man and his wife to offer to become implanted with one of these embryos for the sake of the child? Is this also against Church teaching?
Old 17th May 2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post
Is it a legitimate request for a man and his wife to offer to become implanted with one of these embryos for the sake of the child? Is this also against Church teaching?

I consider that question in my book. I conclude that it can be moral to implant frozen embyros in a surrogate mother if it is the only way to preserve the life of that very young human person. This is a controversial point, though.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:51 PM

That is a horrible prospect. So many. What happens to the souls of those who do not make it? Is it tenable theologically to say that they are taken immediately to Heaven?
Old 17th May 2010, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
That is a horrible prospect. So many. What happens to the souls of those who do not make it? Is it tenable theologically to say that they are taken immediately to Heaven?

My theological position is that all those who die at a very young age, and without formal baptism, are given a mystical baptism into the death and resurrection of Christ. Their deaths at such a young age is a great suffering, which unites them to Christ suffering and dying for our salvation on the Cross, which is the source of all baptism.

Perhaps they go straight to Heaven, but I favor the idea that they go to an upper level of Purgatory, to be given the development that they were denied on earth, as if in the womb of the Church, then they go to heaven.

Treatise on Mystical Baptism
http://www.catholicplanet.com/RCC/mystical-baptism.htm