CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd April 2007, 06:07 PM
Padraig

Cool Carlos Casteneda

When I was in London a few years ago I found my brother had a load of books by the self proclaimed mystic Carlos Casteneda.

cf: http://www.raidersnewsnetwork.com/full.php?news=4837

I hadn't realised that he was dead and that his main female disciples had died, presumably after having suicided.

Carlos story was basically that he had met an Indian Mystical Master Don Juan who instructed Carlos and led him, mostly through the use of drugs to deep inner wisdom. What a dark path he and his disciples walked along. Many lies, drug and alchohol abuse, deception, outright fraud. But he was applauded by the most respected journalists, scientists, critics and thousands of followers an disciples (he sold ten million books} Even going on to found his own synthetic religion. It appeared to matter little to his followers that he had been proven a fake and a liar. They believed and continued to believe, many of them still buy his books.

There is a very real darkness to all of this, much of it strikes me as having a Satanic influence, his spirit guide for instance was a dark black dog, God is never mentioned except as a remote concept, urine at one stage is used in rites.

I think the great mistake here was to confuse mental states with spiritual states, they are not the same thing at all. If I take peyote buttons I could well believe I could go into some from of 'rapture' and having quasi mystical feeling of 'oneness' with the universe. But these are feelings only. True prayer, true mysticism means we love more. If we do not love more it is not real prayer, it is never mystical. True mysticism is the exploration of the mystery of Christ. At the end of the day if it WERE true mysticism his disciples would not have taken their own lives. For the first point of love is to love ourselves. If we fail to do this, we fail to do anything.

Carlos Casteneda stood at the very heart of the New Age Movement. He was, in fact a witch. I hope other witches look at his story and learn.

But I doubt it.

It reminds me of the old saying, that grace is free, but its not cheap.

Old 23rd April 2007, 08:26 PM
untamed_angel

Oh my goodness. That is awful. Interesting but awful. The New Age movement has many sins to answer for. Have you ever read the book from Witchcraft to Christ? Thanks Padraig
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:35 PM
Padraig

Cool

Yes I read the book years ago. That was about the Queen of the witches? It certainly appears that they can work forms of magic.

Though the devil is on a tight leash and so long as a Catholic tries to stay in a state of grace and keeps the faith they can do little harm. However for those of little or no faith its quite a different story.

Last edited by Padraig : 23rd April 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:31 PM
DiAZ216

"Though the devil is on a tight leash and so long as a Catholic tries to stay in a state of grace and keeps the faith they can do little harm. "

Did you see the movie the Exorcism of Emily Rose? Supposedly a true story. Here was a young woman of strong faith who ended up possessed. I don't know if I agree that the devil can do little harm, at least phsically... Even St. Paul had a "thorn in his side." And God allowd Job, His good and faithful servant to be tried severely. In the end, Satan and the demons can't touch our souls unless we let them.

Darrell
Old 24th April 2007, 06:09 PM
Padraig

Smile

I saw , 'The exorcism of Emily Rose'. However I am not sure how much it contributes to our knowledge of such matters. Films by their nature tend to sensationlise for the box office. Additionally I notice it doesn't give that much insight into Rose's spiritual state, for instance if she was she a devout Catholic. I also note that two of the priests who carried out the exorcism landed up in jail. This would be cause for concern. The court case and the evidence produced in court appeared confusing, making it difficult to comment.

But at any rate Christ won the victory over Satan on Calvary, that keeps me happy.

Last edited by Padraig : 24th April 2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:42 PM
untamed_angel

I havent seen the film guys. I believe possession is very rare but oppression is common. Infact probably more common than we realise. As our Holy Mother tells us ...pray pray pray.

God bless
Untamed
Old 25th April 2007, 02:31 PM

I agree with you Untamed. A few months ago I read a great book, called an Interview with an Excorcist. It really explained alot to me, and everything made sense regarding the spiritual world as it pertains to fallen angels. Around the same time I watched Emily Rose, and I think that the story is probably mostly true, but there is no way to know the real story because of some details. She may have slipped up and went to a tarot card reading session, or her roomate could have been a satanist, or who knows what else?

My daughter is three years old and has some pretty severe bouts with nightmares (3-4 times per night). When she has them she says that the witches are going to cut her. I have no idea where she could have learned about being cut, or witches. She does not watch much tv, and she is not exposed to anything like this. I went into her room with her and sprinkled holy water. Her nightmares stopped for a few weeks. They ended up coming back. This cycle has continued for about 6 months.

I tried an experiment. I was alone in the house, and doused her room in holy water again, and told no one. That night my daughter's nightmares stopped and have not come back for the last 2-3 weeks now.

I think there is demonic oppression everywhere, and especially in mental illnesses.

I also agree, what else can we do? pray, pray, pray.
-jay
Old 25th April 2007, 04:15 PM
Padraig

Cool

Strangely enough the reading today,for the Feast of Saint Mark, was from Saint Peter;

5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
Old 26th April 2007, 12:14 AM
Joan

Default Rosary

Oppression for most ordinary folk is relieved, lessens, with the help of Heaven through the sacraments of the Catholic Church. Some years ago I was suffering great mental anguish, with very strange "clairvoyant" phenomena. First for me came a rigorous, honest confession. Then a priest from whom I sought help spontaneously insisted on the anointing with Holy Oil, for the sick, which deeply calmed and strengthened me. I managed to "turn the corner" with serious oppression by means of the Rosary. In the midst of praying all the mysteries a sudden vivid vision of furious rage against the Holy Rosary was forced to my awareness, but it was as if muffled by an invisible shield, and it was cut off short, as I was permitted to complete the devotion.

Calmness and faith, repeated good confession, the Mass, persistence and passage of time which heals many wounds, and ultimately, the mysterious timing and mercy of God avail for most of us, as we work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. In God's good time, these oddities and fearful matters dissipated as the wounds of sin were healed.

Our home was built and occupied by a pious Catholic family, and I am certain that the blessings on our home from that heritage played some part in bringing peace to my family, that with other Catholic people and influences, this blessed home drew me to seek out a Catholic education for my child, and ultimately, my own conversion. Therefore, one might also have the home blessed by a Catholic priest, as I feel that great good came to our non-Catholic family from that practice.
Old 26th April 2007, 12:22 AM
Joan

Default an odd dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Strangely enough the reading today,for the Feast of Saint Mark, was from Saint Peter;

5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Recently, I've had a recurring dream image of a huge, dirty, dangerous looking man brushing past me, pretending not to notice me but in fact, I sense, he's just waiting an opportune time for ambush and attack. "Sin lieth at the door." God warned Cain in those words, seeing a weakness and negativity in Cain. Indeed, we must be vigilant and take heed to warnings.