CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2009, 07:41 AM

Default Mat 19:24, A Good man but still questionable to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

Ron, what is your explanation about this verse:

Mat 19:16-24
Quote:
Mat 19:16-24
{19:16} And behold, someone approached and said to him, “Good Teacher, what good should I do, so that I may have eternal life?”
{19:17} And he said to him: “Why do you question me about what is good? One is good: God. But if you wish to enter into life, observe the commandments.”
{19:18} He said to him, “Which?” And Jesus said: “You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not give false testimony.
{19:19} Honor your father and your mother. And, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
{19:20} The young man said to him: “All these I have kept from my childhood. What is still lacking for me?”
{19:21} Jesus said to him: “If you are willing to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and then you will have treasure in heaven. And come, follow me.”
{19:22} And when the young man had heard this word, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
{19:23} Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Amen, I say to you, that the wealthy shall enter with difficulty into the kingdom of heaven.
{19:24} And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for the wealthy to enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Mat 19:16-24)

In above verse, the young man is a good and wealthy young man, he is a good young man because he had done all 10 God's commandment (Mat 19:18-20), and he is a wealthy young man because he had many possessions (Mat 19:21-22). Ron, that young man had done the 10 God's commandment, he just lack charity, and because of this lack, he became more difficult to enter the kingdom of heaven rather than a camel pass through the eye of a needle. So, does charity have a greatest value in God's eyes? So, I think that charity (works of mercy) with pure heart is implementation/the action of the greatest commandment (Love your God with all your soul, your body, your spirit,...., and love your neighbors just like you love yourself ), is my thought true? Do you have any other explanation?

Oh, and how about if it is done reversibly, I mean, how about if that young man doing what he lacks for in that verse but he didn't do 10 Commandments from God perfectly? Is this scenario is possible? And if this is possible, how do you think about it Ron?
Old 11th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
In above verse, the young man is a good and wealthy young man, he is a good young man because he had done all 10 God's commandment (Mat 19:18-20), and he is a wealthy young man because he had many possessions (Mat 19:21-22). Ron, that young man had done the 10 God's commandment, he just lack charity, and because of this lack, he became more difficult to enter the kingdom of heaven rather than a camel pass through the eye of a needle. So, does charity have a greatest value in God's eyes? So, I think that charity (works of mercy) with pure heart is implementation/the action of the greatest commandment (Love your God with all your soul, your body, your spirit,...., and love your neighbors just like you love yourself ), is my thought true? Do you have any other explanation?

Oh, and how about if it is done reversibly, I mean, how about if that young man doing what he lacks for in that verse but he didn't do 10 Commandments from God perfectly? Is this scenario is possible? And if this is possible, how do you think about it Ron?

Yes, charity (the infused theological virtue of love, which is always accompanied by faith and hope) is the greatest virtue, which is love of God and neighbor.

The young man who kept the commandments was in a state of grace; Christ looked at him and loved him because that man loved God and neighbor. But the man failed to be perfect. Perhaps he remained in a state of grace despite this failing; perhaps he later fell from grace because of his attachment to wealth, we don't know.

As for the reverse situation that you suggest, i.e. if he had left everything and given to the poor, but failed to keep the commandments: if he failed less than to the extent of an actual mortal sin, he would still go to heaven; if he failed to the extent of an actual mortal sin and did not repent, he would go to Hell.

Some priests and religious today have left everything for Christ, but then later they fall into actual mortal sin. So one must continue to keep all the commandments of the moral law while following Christ.
Old 11th March 2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Regarding Charity

{19:19} "........And, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

So this means that it's ok to love ourselves too. right?

What about in a situation when a person stops giving the charity that he used to, to pay for a surgery that he been recommended to have. The surgery is not life threatening but necessary for his health overall.

Question: Is this person loving himself more than others, in this case is ok if he prefers his recommended but not life threatening surgery rather than to continue giving charity?.... is it moral if he stops giving his usual charity until he pays for this surgery?....
Old 11th March 2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
{19:19} "........And, you shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

So this means that it's ok to love ourselves too. right?

What about in a situation when a person stops giving the charity that he used to, to pay for a surgery that he been recommended to have. The surgery is not life threatening but necessary for his health overall.

Question: Is this person loving himself more than others, in this case is ok if he prefers his recommended but not life threatening surgery rather than to continue giving charity?.... is it moral if he stops giving his usual charity until he pays for this surgery?....

Yes, it is moral for him to stop giving to charity to pay for his own surgery.

"one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's."
Summa Theologica, II-II, Q. 64, A. 7.

We must exercise true love of self, as opposed to selfishness, along with love of God and neighbor. It is all the same love. And if you do not care for your own needs, then you will not be able to care for your neighbor's needs.
Old 11th March 2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Ok, thanks for the clarification Ron.