CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > ProLife and Natural Family Planning
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th October 2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default Colombia: Catholic hospitals required to offer abortions

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/...m?storyid=4433

"the Colombian Constitutional Court has ruled that all hospitals, whether secular or religious, must retain doctors who are willing to perform abortions. The court also ruled that Catholic schools must educate students about their “abortion rights”-- a ruling that Catholic officials vowed to disobey."

This could easily happen in the U.S. or Europe or other Western nations.
Old 29th October 2009, 12:22 PM

With a ruling like this, I would think that the right decision would be to refuse to accept this law. Does anyone know the legal ramifications? I imagine they would begin with fines, or perhaps lawsuits if they refuse to hire someone who believes in abortion.

I am waiting for an institution to stand up to the law, and choose what is right. Sometimes the consequences make the decision more difficult (like adoption agencies closing for not adopting to same-sex couples), but this seems like an easy decision without understanding the full ramifications.

-jay
Old 2nd November 2009, 05:41 PM

Default Crying for Colombia

As a Colombian I feel very sad that this has happened in my country. A graduate of my law school (NYU) once told an audience that she was planning to push abortion rights into Colombia the same way they were pushed here. She succeeded and her last name was Roa, which is one letter from Roe as in Roe v. Wade.
Old 27th December 2009, 12:19 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Mother Teresa: "What is taking place in America is a war against the child. And if we accept that the mother can kill her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?"