CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

1) there are seven mortal sins, where in the Catholic catechism are the types of mortal sins of omission identified?

Mortal sins are not limited to seven, and are not enumerated.
This idea is not Catholic dotrine,

2) it would be unjust to leave a stillborn or aborted infant out of the Lamb's Book of Life, therefore it cannot be correct teaching; the God who calls us by name, the Lamb who will give to the Blessed a stone upon which a secret name is written special to the Blessed child of Christ--that God will surely write their names in the Book of Life, he knows the names of those whom we label "Unknown" or "John Doe"

All human persons who die after conception and before birth certainly go to Heaven forever and their names are in the book of life.

3) finally, there are depths and mysteries to the Universe and the Heavenly realm that are reserved to the Holy Trinity, and it sometimes bothers me the impression that is given that things are so very cut and dried. The idea that unless the victim of abortion or stillbirth is adopted and baptised, they're not in the Book of Life--I resist this thought, in fact, is sounds kind of like the Mormon heresy.

There is no such thing as baptism after death for anyone.
Those who die in the womb receive a mystical baptism in or before the last moment of their life.

Ron
Old 5th March 2007, 07:06 AM
MarieM

Default Limbo

Ron,
You wrote:
Quote:
All human persons who die after conception and before birth certainly go to Heaven forever and their names are in the book of life.

That is correct. And it is comforting. When I was pregnant with my last child I had a very early ultrasound and there was another baby.
A twin maybe. The doctor told me this happens often and most people don't realize there was another baby.

I know my baby is in heaven and I ask him to pray for his brother and sisters.

God Bless,
Marie
Old 29th November 2007, 03:10 PM
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Prenatals and infants who die without a formal Baptism, in my theological opinion, go to Heaven by way of an upper level of Purgatory. But let me add that I don't see any valid theological argument, speculative or otherwise, which can place prenatals or young children prior to the age of reason anywhere other than Heaven. Even if there is no explicit statement from the Magisterium saying that they go to Heaven, the Faith implicitly, yet with utter clarity, teaches that no other final destination is compatible with the infinite Mercy of God.

Ron,

I found this last night, Wisdom 3:16-19, wondering what you thought of it:

But the children of adulterers will remain without issue, and the progeny of an unlawful bed will disappear.
For should they attain long life, they will be held in no esteem, and dishonored will their old age be at last;
While should they die abruptly, they have no hope nor comfort in the day of scrutiny;
for dire is the end of the wicked generation.
Old 30th November 2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

{3:16} But the sons of adulterers will not reach completion, and the offspring of a sinful bed will be banished.
{3:17} And if they live long, they will be counted as nothing, and their last years of old-age will be without honor.
{3:18} And if they die quickly, they will have no hope, nor words of comfort on the day of reckoning.
{3:19} For the iniquities of the people have a dreadful result.

This does not refer literally to the children of persons who commit adultery.
The sons of adulterers are the adults who commit adultery.
It's an expression used in the OT. Parents are supposed to teach their children. So when an adult commits adultery, it is as if that adult had adulterers as parents. It is as if they are sons of adultery personified.

other similar expressions:

sons of the priests = priests in training
son of a year = a one year old
son of perdition = someone who is lost (morally)
son of man = a human being
son of death = a dead body