CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st November 2008, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
I have a question Ron. Once during a discussion with a friend the subject of the inspired nature of scripture came up. She was wondering why none of the Gospels besides Luke had a very extensive infancy narrative. I said that perhaps Luke had had an opportunity to speak at length with the Blessed Virgin and she had imparted more details, which God then inspired him to write down.

In fact there is an ancient tradition (small t) that says St. Luke painted a portrait of the Virgin Mary. It may well be that they met. Or it could be that John, who cared for Mary after the Crucifixion, may have learned the details from her, then later communicated these things to Luke, since they both traveled extensively among the various small Christian communities for the sake of the Gospel.

This article addresses the question of the infancy narratives and their omission in detail:
http://www.catholicplanet.com/TSM/NT-infancy.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
She disagreed on the basis that scripture is directly inspired by God, in the sense that it is brought directly to mind or dictated if you will. I don't believe that's correct, is it?

She is incorrect. God inspired all of Sacred Scripture, but in such a way that the sacred writers acted as true human authors. So the human authors used human expressions, figures of speech, etc. The personality of each author affects the expression of the text. The human authors generally wrote from their own knowledge. All of this is done under inspiration so that the human authors wrote all those things and only those things that God willed, without any error. But God did not merely dictate the text, nor did he use them like an inanimate object, like a pen. Sometimes Scripture is said to have been dictated by the Holy Spirit, not literally, but as a figure indicating the thoroughness of inspiration.
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:57 AM

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that was correct, but I was so shocked by what she seemed to be saying that I couldn't find the right words to express it.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The Total Inspiration and Total Inerrancy of Sacred Scripture
http://www.catholicplanet.com/TSM/Bi...-inerrancy.htm

Ron,

The link of your first post on this thread does not work.

Is it available somewhere else?
Old 9th December 2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator

I've updated the link to this:
Roman Catholic teaching on Biblical Inerrancy
Old 9th December 2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Thank you Ron.