CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2008, 12:33 AM
tobinatorstark

Ron

I love the website that you have put up. I have been going there for a while now. You truly have inspiration to get God's word out to the public
Old 11th June 2008, 03:02 AM

The NAB mostly.

I have used the DR for study in the past. Occassionally I use a "recovery principles" Bible, which has useful built in devotionals
Old 19th July 2008, 06:48 PM

Ron, you really think the NAB is a good translation? So many a time I read a verse that appears to have been purposely translated a certain way to *not* reflect Catholic doctrine! And yes, the commentary attacks the faith, but it can be useful at times as well.
Old 19th July 2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Ron, you really think the NAB is a good translation? So many a time I read a verse that appears to have been purposely translated a certain way to *not* reflect Catholic doctrine! And yes, the commentary attacks the faith, but it can be useful at times as well.
the NAB has its strengths and weaknesses. Overall, it is useful.

For good Bible commentary, see the original Douai Rheims bible, and the Challoner version.
Old 20th July 2008, 03:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Angela Send a message via Yahoo to Angela

Mort, could you explain what you mean about the NAB? Some examples?

I ask because I use the NAB study Bible and find it the most useful.

I completed 3 out of 4 years of the Omaha Catholic Biblical school(had to drop out the 4th yr because of family obligations) and used the NAB study one, found it to be very helpful.
Old 20th July 2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
Mort, could you explain what you mean about the NAB? Some examples?

I ask because I use the NAB study Bible and find it the most useful.

I completed 3 out of 4 years of the Omaha Catholic Biblical school(had to drop out the 4th yr because of family obligations) and used the NAB study one, found it to be very helpful.

Hi Angela,

Here are a few I found, they are minor, but it appears the translator is bent on making a distinction between Christ and God, or the Father and Son.

Romans 9:5
NAB: "theirs the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, is the Messiah. God who is over all be blessed forever. Amen."
NASB: "whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen."

Psalm 22:17/16
NAB: "Many dogs surround me; a pack of evildoers closes in on me. So wasted are my hands and feet"
NASB: Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.

Titus 2:13
NAB
: "as we await the blessed hope, the appearance of the glory of the great God and of our savior Jesus Christ"
NASB: "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus"

John 1:18
NAB: "No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, who is at the Father's side, has revealed him."
NASB: "No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him."

With regards to the commentary:
"But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire." 1 Corinthians 3:15

(From the commentary on this verse) "Will be saved: although Paul can envision very harsh divine punishment (cf 1 Cor 3:17), he appears optimistic about the success of divine corrective means both here and elsewhere (cf 1 Cor 5:5; 11:32 [discipline]). The text of 1 Cor 3:15 has sometimes been used to support the notion of purgatory, though it does not envisage this."
Old 20th July 2008, 04:31 PM

Another strange thing is I have tried to identify the author(s) of the commentary but there doesn't appear to be an indication who is responsible for it. It's just there.
Old 20th July 2008, 04:47 PM

Thanks, Mort. I will have to look into this further.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:50 AM

Hey Mort - I pulled out my Catholic Study Bible, and looked up what you quoted, but I really don't see those as being *not* so Catholic. In fact, the preface to my Bible specifically says "the primary audience of this Study Bible is Roman Catholic. Some of the comments in the notes to the text, the reference articles, and the reading guides deliberately reflect Catholic experience and Catholic interests."

I did find this about the commentary for my NAB Catholic Study Bible:

Dianne Bergant, Professor of OT studies, is the author of the commentaries on Job, Ecclesiastes.

Lawrence Boadt - professor of Hebrew Scriptures, author of commentaries on Jeremiah and the minor prophets.

John Collins, professor of Christianity and Judaism - author of the reading guides on Daniel and the minor prophets.

Mary Ann Getty, teacher at Catholic University of America, author of commentaries on Romans, Galatians, 1&2 Corinthinas, Philippians, and Philemon.

Leslie J Hoppe, Associate Professor, commentaries on Dueternomy, Joshua and Judges.

Luke Johnson, professor, commentaries on Luke, Acts, 1&2 Timothy and Titus

Philip King, professor, Hebrews and James

There are many more names of folks who contributed to both the commentaries and the reading guides. I own and use the Collegeville Bible Commentary for both the OT and NT.
Old 21st July 2008, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Many of these scholars, who have seemingly substantial credentials, are modernist Biblical scholars who don't believe that the Bible is inerrant and who don't adhere to the teaching of the Magisterium. For example, I took a Biblical studes course with Philip King; he said that he thought that Jesus was perhaps not single, that it would make more sense given His culture if he was married.

Other common modernist claims include:
that one passage in the Bible can contradict another passage,
that some passages merely express cultural norms, not teachings of faith and morals
that the Old Testament Patriarchs were not doing the will of God when they went to war to obtain the Holy Land
that the Bible contains errors on geography, history, and other subjects,
that the geneologies in the OT and NT are not at all accurate or historical,
that Jesus did not say many of the words attributed to him in the Gospels,
that the Gospels reflect the views of the early Christian community, not an accurate account of the events of Christ's life,
and so on.

The NAB is not such a bad translation, but I'd avoid most of the commentary that goes along with it.