CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Default Questions about the Bible?

Does anyone have any questions about the Bible, either about the various languages, editions, manuscripts, authorship, etc. or about specific difficult passages?

Please post your questions in this thread.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:50 PM

I have a question, but it pertains not to the Bible itself but the USCCB's choice of translation.

I remember before you have mentioned that the USCCB chose to omit the word fasting, in the passage below. My question is, how is this done? The version should not be modified at all by anyone except the Vatican, wouldn't you agree? This passage was recently in one of the daily readings and if I hadn't belonged to this forum would have not been aware of the whole intent of the passage. Are bible translation changes published, so we can evaluate the changes that have taken place?

thanks!
jay

Quote:
{17:17} And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon went out of him, and the boy was cured from that hour.
{17:18} Then the disciples approached Jesus privately and said, “Why were we unable to cast him out?”
{17:19} Jesus said to them: “Because of your unbelief. Amen I say to you, certainly, if you will have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it shall move. And nothing will be impossible for you.
{17:20} But this kind is not cast out, except through prayer and fasting.”
Old 11th June 2008, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default Genesis 6:

This begining of Genesis has puzzled me for some time:

[Genesis 6]
{6:1} And when men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them,
{6:2} the sons of God, seeing that the daughters of men were beautiful, took to themselves wives from all whom they chose.
{6:3} And God said: “My spirit shall not remain in man forever, because he is flesh. And so his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”
{6:4} Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they conceived, these became the powerful ones of ancient times, men of renown.
{6:5} Then God, seeing that the wickedness of men was great upon the earth and that every thought of their heart was intent upon evil at all times,
{6:6} repented that he had made man on the earth. And being touched inwardly with a sorrow of heart,

Were those "Sons of God" holy men who got into women's temptations and fell into wickedness?

or were those "Sons of God" Angels?....or spirits who became corrupted?...I think the book of Enoch has some reference about this and this is the reason why after the union between these creatures and women, giant men were conceived.
Old 11th June 2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
I have a question, but it pertains not to the Bible itself but the USCCB's choice of translation.

I remember before you have mentioned that the USCCB chose to omit the word fasting, in the passage below. My question is, how is this done? The version should not be modified at all by anyone except the Vatican, wouldn't you agree? This passage was recently in one of the daily readings and if I hadn't belonged to this forum would have not been aware of the whole intent of the passage. Are bible translation changes published, so we can evaluate the changes that have taken place?

thanks!
jay

A committee of translators makes the decision, perhaps with the oversite of another committee. The Vatican is not involved in individual translation decisions.

They decide to drop a phrase or a verse based on the variations between manuscripts.
Old 11th June 2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Were those "Sons of God" holy men who got into women's temptations and fell into wickedness?

or were those "Sons of God" Angels?....or spirits who became corrupted?...I think the book of Enoch has some reference about this and this is the reason why after the union between these creatures and women, giant men were conceived.[/quote]

The sons of God might refer to those who were holy. It certainly does not refer to angels or spirits, since angels cannot procreate at all.

I don't know what it refers to.
Old 11th June 2008, 10:18 PM

IMHO, It sounds like the sons of these men were powerful (perhaps they became the leaders of that day) and commanded and influenced many. This is why they were referred to as giants and unfortunately, they led themselves and many into wickness.
Old 12th June 2008, 02:49 AM

Default sacrifice

what does Christ meant in these verse?

{9:13} So then, go out and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the just, but sinners.”
Old 12th June 2008, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post
what does Christ meant in these verse?

{9:13} So then, go out and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the just, but sinners.”

He was criticizing the Pharisees, who practiced numerous difficult external acts, such as frequent fasting, but they did not have justice or mercy or love within themselves. He was not saying that sacrifice has no place, but that it is only a means, not an end in itself. Also, an act of mercy is greater than an act of self-denial.
Old 12th June 2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by needDivineMercy View Post
IMHO, It sounds like the sons of these men were powerful (perhaps they became the leaders of that day) and commanded and influenced many. This is why they were referred to as giants and unfortunately, they led themselves and many into wickness.

Yes, I also believe the sons of that cross between the "sons of God" and the women who were into iniquity, were powerful and were even worshiped as gods, they were leaders of a sinful population. The term "giant" can be interpreted as "powerful or famous people" which is correct in my opinion. But I also think they were literally giants and I tell you why. Further more in the Bible, explains about a population of giants that were evil towns, the Bible even mentions their stature, some of them had even six fingers. David even fought of those of a giant race. And when the Bible means "giants" literally means giants, not "tall people" or people suffering of "gigantism" (they can barely move) for those giants were expert warriors and even tells their stature which some of them were about 13 + feet.

On a related note, some archeologists have found forms of ancient civilization with constructions so tall that would be hard to have been built with people of normal size.
Old 12th June 2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Yes, I also believe the sons of that cross between the "sons of God" and the women who were into iniquity, were powerful and were even worshiped as gods, they were leaders of a sinful population. The term "giant" can be interpreted as "powerful or famous people" which is correct in my opinion. But I also think they were literally giants and I tell you why. Further more in the Bible, explains about a population of giants that were evil towns, the Bible even mentions their stature, some of them had even six fingers. David even fought of those of a giant race. And when the Bible means "giants" literally means giants, not "tall people" or people suffering of "gigantism" (they can barely move) for those giants were expert warriors and even tells their stature which some of them were about 13 + feet.

On a related note, some archeologists have found forms of ancient civilization with constructions so tall that would be hard to have been built with people of normal size.

Where in the Bible does it say this?

Could you provide a reference for your statement about what archeologists have found?