CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th April 2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Bible Study - Romans

Read Romans 1

1:3 Mary was a descended of David

1:4 predestination is a Catholic doctrine, which includes the knowledge and plan of God for the future of Creation

1:5 Faith is a type of obedience; anyone who is disobedient to the teachings of Christ is unfaithful to Christ to the same extent; anyone who is obedient to Christ is faithful to Christ to the same extent.

1:13 Paul addressed the brothers of the church at Rome, i.e. the ordained men who lead the church there, which is comprised of men, women, and children; Paul wanted to visit the church at Rome, but God's will is not the same as Paul's will, even though Paul is holy.

1:18 they despise justice and truth, because they know that if they accept the truth of the Gospel, they will have to change their lives and give up their injustices

1:20 this passage is part of the basis for Catholic teaching on natural law, i.e. that any human being can use reason alone to attain to knowledge of the whole moral law (though sin makes this difficult) because the moral law is written into our nature. Also, in creating a good universe, God in a sense wrote a book (Creation) by which we may know Him, in addition to the Bible. Thus the unbeliever can know morality, and can know that God the Creator exists (but he cannot know all that is revealed in Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium TSM).

1:26-27 this passage condemns homosexual acts and all unnatural sexual acts, even between a man and a woman (i.e. sexual acts that are not both unitive and procreative); for all such acts are not natural as intended by God the Creator
Old 13th April 2009, 03:33 PM

1:18 they despise justice and truth, because they know that if they accept the truth of the Gospel, they will have to change their lives and give up their injustices

A reference to atheism or atheists who oppose the truth of God. A verse which underscores well the disconnect in our society:by and large, a society that rejects the truth of the Gospel is a society that will perish.
Old 13th April 2009, 03:54 PM
TheGiftOfLife

The New American Bible for Catholics

1:24 God handed them over to impurity through he lust of their hearts for the mutual degredation of their bodies

Eplain what Paul means by handed them over. Does this also refer to natural law that if you reject God, natrually you will fall into impurity?
Old 13th April 2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
The New American Bible for Catholics

1:24 God handed them over to impurity through he lust of their hearts for the mutual degredation of their bodies

Eplain what Paul means by handed them over. Does this also refer to natural law that if you reject God, natrually you will fall into impurity?

they are able to know wrong from right by natural law, and so their sins are culpable; God then permits them to suffer the result of their own harmful sins. He hands them over in the sense of permitting them to exercise free will, even in sinning, but also to suffer as a result.
Old 13th April 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
{1:4} the Son of God, who was predestined in virtue according to the Spirit of sanctification from the resurrection of the dead, our Lord Jesus Christ,
I take this to mean that only Jesus is predestined for Heaven. We all have to respond to God's call, which is contrary to the definition of predestined, right?

Quote:
{1:29} having been completely filled with all iniquity, malice, fornication, avarice, wickedness; full of envy, murder, contention, deceit, malice, gossiping;
{1:30} slanderous, hateful toward God, abusive, arrogant, self-exalting, devisers of evil, disobedient to parents,
{1:31} foolish, disorderly; without affection, without fidelity, without mercy.
Ron, aren't these characters considered opposites of the gifts from the Holy spirit? If not, perhaps opposites of corporal and spiritual works of mercy? I remember a priest discussing this point but the details escape me. (I could have the wrong passage as well)

-jay
Old 13th April 2009, 05:00 PM
supporting member

1:20-23 Almighty God can be known since the creation of the world, yet the wickedness of those who do not give him praise and thanks has caused them to fall into idolatry.

My understanding of idolatry is the worship of a false God. In other words, there is nothing wrong with having an image of Jesus or Mary or any of the saints in our homes. We worship Jesus and venerate the saints, not the artwork which bears their likeness.
Old 13th April 2009, 06:24 PM

Ron,

So basically just read the chapter, and your notes and express any questions or difficulties or topics for further discussion?
Old 13th April 2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Ron,

So basically just read the chapter, and your notes and express any questions or difficulties or topics for further discussion?

Yes, but members can also post their own concise commentary, or any insights that they might have.
Old 13th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
I take this to mean that only Jesus is predestined for Heaven. We all have to respond to God's call, which is contrary to the definition of predestined, right?
No. Predestination applies to everyone, because God knows the whole future with absolute certainty (knowing all our future sins and responses to grace).

[Ephesians 1]
{1:1} Paul, an Apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, to all the saints who are at Ephesus and to the faithful in Christ Jesus.
{1:2} Grace and peace to you from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
{1:3} Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, in Christ,
{1:4} just as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, so that we would be holy and immaculate in his sight, in charity.
{1:5} He has predestined us to adoption as sons, through Jesus Christ, in himself, according to the purpose of his will,
{1:6} for the praise of the glory of his grace, with which he has gifted us in his beloved Son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Ron, aren't these characters considered opposites of the gifts from the Holy spirit? If not, perhaps opposites of corporal and spiritual works of mercy? I remember a priest discussing this point but the details escape me. (I could have the wrong passage as well)

good point; I don't know that the list exactly corresponds to some other list of good gifts, but yes, evil is a lack of good, and so any evil corresponds to the good that is lacking.
Old 13th April 2009, 07:21 PM
supporting member

Default Romans - chapter One

I find it interesting that Paul is writing to a group of Christians that he has never met. He did not found the Church in Rome. Yet he seems to be aware of the sexual sins that abound there. The Roman church must have consisted of early Christians converted in Jerusalem who subsequently migrated to Rome.