CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2010, 01:15 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I haven't see the movie. I probably will see it when it comes out on DVD.
The problems with the movie and religion are a reflection of problems in society.
So the movie is just a symptom, not the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
I just think the film makers are secular like 80% of the population.

Ron, I fully agree. The 3D technology was really amazing. I especially liked when you could actually see mosquitos flying around in 3D.
Old 20th January 2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I recently saw the movie, The Invention of Lying. This PG-13 rated movie is promoted as if it were a clever comedy about a fictional world where no one can lie, until one man invents lying. And this is how the movie sets up. But once this man learns to lie, he invents religion. Before the invention of lying, in this fictional world, there is no religion. This man is portrayed as inventing religion by inventing a series of lies.

Both the Jewish and Christian religions are attacked openly in this film. The inventor of lies invents 10 rules, which he writes on 2 pizza boxes, and which he holds and brings out to the people like Moses with the two tablets of stone and the ten commandments. But the 10 rules are used to ridicule all religion, including the mere idea that there is a God, an afterlife, and absolute truth concerning morality.

Christianity is also ridiculed in the scene in a church at a wedding where the 'priest' has a cross around his neck, and is performing a version of the wedding ceremony that mocks marriage. The stained glass windows have an image of the inventor of lying holding the pizza boxes. And the 'priest' refers repeatedly to 'the man in the sky' and to the inventor of lies as the source of all knowledge about the man in the sky.

God is referred to as 'the man in the sky'. And the movie ends with the inventor of lies 'admitting' that he lied about religion, and that there is no man in the sky. The main point of the movie is that all religion is a lie, and there is no God and no after life.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I recently saw the movie, The Invention of Lying. This PG-13 rated movie is promoted as if it were a clever comedy about a fictional world where no one can lie, until one man invents lying. And this is how the movie sets up. But once this man learns to lie, he invents religion. Before the invention of lying, in this fictional world, there is no religion. This man is portrayed as inventing religion by inventing a series of lies.

Both the Jewish and Christian religions are attacked openly in this film. The inventor of lies invents 10 rules, which he writes on 2 pizza boxes, and which he holds and brings out to the people like Moses with the two tablets of stone and the ten commandments. But the 10 rules are used to ridicule all religion, including the mere idea that there is a God, an afterlife, and absolute truth concerning morality.

Christianity is also ridiculed in the scene in a church at a wedding where the 'priest' has a cross around his neck, and is performing a version of the wedding ceremony that mocks marriage. The stained glass windows have an image of the inventor of lying holding the pizza boxes. And the 'priest' refers repeatedly to 'the man in the sky' and to the inventor of lies as the source of all knowledge about the man in the sky.

God is referred to as 'the man in the sky'. And the movie ends with the inventor of lies 'admitting' that he lied about religion, and that there is no man in the sky. The main point of the movie is that all religion is a lie, and there is no God and no after life.

I wouldn't like to be in Ricky Gervais' shoes - this film co-writer (and people alike) during the Warning. For his own sake, I hope he repents and converts like St. Paul.

This is a film I would not see.

Thanks for your review and heads up Ron.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:45 PM

That's awful. Pure secular muck.
Old 27th November 2014, 05:32 PM

Default The Daniel Connection movie

I received the following update on The Daniel Connection movie
If anyone sees it please give us your thoughts:

"The Daniel Connection - world premiere
300 guests at Cineworld in Edinburgh 22nd Nov 2014.
RE: The Daniel CONNECTION Feature Film – Premiere – A Tremendous Success (There is NO DVD at this time)

Dear Friends
The Daniel CONNECTION feature film opened to a full house at Cineworld in Edinburgh on 22nd of November 2014. Go behind the scenes for a preview of that very special night and hear first-hand reactions to the film from people from all walks of life who attended the event.

Gripping, Riveting, Scary, Intense, Phenomenal, Excellent, Great, Highly Enjoyable, Thought-Provoking, Edge of Your Seat Stuff, Amazing, Absolutely Brilliant, Important Message, Makes You Think, Engulfed in it, Really Well Done… see and hear for yourself the wonderful reviews given from all age groups…

Short Film - http://youtu.be/3gD_USTkw54 (please feel free to share the link with everyone)

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheDanielCONNECTION join and “Like” us)

After 3 years in production following on from the international TV documentary The Daniel Project, it was a special night for all involved in the making of this full length feature film, and also for the many supporters of the documentary who came from as far away as Sweden! While the documentary is currently available from its dedicated website, The Daniel CONNECTION DVD may not be available for another nine months.

Free copies of the TV documentary were handed out and a reception for individuals who had travelled long distances was held after the screening.
What happens to the film now?
USA film distributor “California Pictures” are in the process of selling the film to buyers around the world. As soon as we hear details we will keep you updated.
Once again – thank you for your support, as a small team we greatly appreciate your feedback.

Keep up to date with us on Facebook, watch the latest behind the scenes interviews and hear what’s happening with the film.
Latest Project:

While marketing and promotion of both documentary and feature film are an ongoing process, we are in production of a new project (still to be given a title). This latest Biblical production, while produced to meet broadcast standards will be in an expanded educational format. Filmed in Middle East locations, utilising cutting edge news and supporting interviews with leading scholars, the completed project will become available immediately on DVD and on the internet. More news to follow…

The Daniel CONNECTION Feature Film website and Facebook

http://www.thedanielconnection.tv/

https://www.facebook.com/TheDanielCONNECTION

The Daniel Project Documentary website and Facebook

http://www.thedanielprojectmovie.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheDanielProject

GV247.TV website and Facebook

http://www.gv247.tv/short-films.htm

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalVision247

Warm regards from Deborah, Stewart and The Team."
Old 27th November 2014, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I'm very skeptical about that movie. Good eschatology is rare in books, and so far entirely absent from the movie industry.
Old 12th September 2016, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Ben Hur (2016)

The 1959 version of the movie Ben Hur is in the list of "great films" which the Vatican included on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of cinema according to the USCCB website:

http://archive.usccb.org/movies/vaticanfilms.shtml

It's one of my all time favorites as well regardless of its length, I have watched it many, many times.

When I saw that there was a new version of a movie based on the novel by Lew Wallace coming up this year I thought that it would not necessary after the epic film of 1959 which was so good.

I saw this new film and, as expected, it was definitely not as good as the previous version. The cinematography, music and direction are average level. The director tends to allow movements (or shakings of) the camera too much when people are talking which bothered me while watching this film. The acting is good, but the casting for the characters, especially for Messala is not good. I would have preferred another actor with more screen presence. The most interesting part of this film are the battle of the galleys with the Greek rebels and the horse race, other than that what this movie actually did for me is wanting to see the Charlton Heston version once again which I did, and what a difference!

Should I recommend you this 2016 version?, not if you are not fan of this story, otherwise, renting it should be fine.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Miracles from Heaven - (2016).

Based on real life accounts in the life of a family due to God's providence. I do recommend this film, it was better than I expected. Good performances with interesting and a heart warming story for all the family.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26