CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Music Groups
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2007, 03:26 PM

Default Music of the Psalms revealed?

In trying to find out whether the original music of the Psalms has been somehow preserved during the ages, I came across a research made by a jewish music teacher an theorist called Suzanne Haik-Vantoura in 1970.

According to her theory the cantillation marks written above and below words in the psalms and other musical texts in the tanakh bible (jewish bible) represented some kind of musical notes. After extensive research she finally discovered the meaning of the signs and after years of trial translated those signs in modern musical notes.

Her work was published in a book called "Music of the Bible revealed".

Here is an example of how psalm 148 might have sounded like in the temple of Jerusalem during king David's reign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-baSSMsHelU

More examples can be found in this site:

http://www.rakkav.com/kdhinc/pages/mp3s.htm
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 13th September 2007, 11:25 PM

Oh WOW!!! I really, really loved that! Thanks so much, Rob. Gotta show this to my students. Something about all men's voices....really gives me chills. I can never forget when the longtime Monsignor of our parish died, his funeral Mass bowled me over due to the sheer number of priest's voices singing so beautifully and unashamedly. Heavenly....

Joey
Old 14th September 2007, 12:00 AM

Yes, the music is unique and amazing. One of my wishes is to be able to see the great church in Jerusalem and a service with psalms in the third temple of Jerusalem, God willing.

Check this site, it has musical scores of some psalms, so you can play them yourself on a keyboard or harp!

http://www.bibal.net/04/proj/proj-pss0.html#

I wonder how the psalms would sound like with the same music in english or another language.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)