CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > God - the Most Holy Trinity
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2006, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Default Time and Eternity

I've just posted the HTML version of my article on Time and Eternity.

discussed is the nature of God, and how time and eternity relate to God, salvation, the consecration of the Eucharist, etc.

http://www.catholicplanet.com/MHT/time-eternity.htm

Ron Conte
Old 30th July 2006, 07:49 PM
Hope

Hi Ron: I just read your link--interesting stuff. In it you said God is Eternity, uh, er, did you notice the name I'm going by? Honest, I didn't read this until today and I've been going by Eternity for a while now in other places.

Now I need to point out that I'm not calling myself God . I am looking at it more like the unknowable mystery of time, or lack thereof and how the fact that we have immortal souls causes us to enter into eternity when we die. We have a starting point of existence, but after that we exist forever (in a linear sense of time). Our souls go on eternally from the moment of our conception. That is how I am looking at eternity--I will go on forever, as will you and everybody else. But now that I read your article, I see how you can truly say that God and Eternity are one in the same. He had no beginning or end. Unlike humans, angels, anything created, there was no starting point springboarding Him into eternity--He IS Eternity.

When you see me going by the name "Eternity", however, I am thinking about the immortal soul stepping into eternity, not that I am God -- whew, hope that's cleared up -- I don't want people thinking that I think I'm God or anything.
Old 30th July 2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

cool

i think you've understood what i was saying in that article

i don't mind you going by the name Eternity; we all have souls that will share in the Eternity of God when/if we get to Heaven.

Ron
Old 4th August 2006, 12:02 AM

At first I didnt know what both of you were talking about, but I just read another section of T&E and now I understand. God is Eternity, but human souls are strictly speaking not eternal cause we have a beginning. We use the term in an unstrict sense for the human soul and Heaven.

It seems to me a new term should be created to describe a human soul which has a beginning but goes on forever.

This is heady stuff and without meaning to be irreverent it sort of like being in a Science Fiction movie.
Old 20th August 2006, 10:48 PM

I agree Climacus.....
It most surely made me dizzy when I read it! I'm going to try it again, only slower, pausing to digest. Most intriguing and plenty of food for thought.

Joey
Old 21st August 2006, 05:17 PM

Smile

Eternity:

I connected your name on how we will be with God forever=Eternity...To make you feel better,I am sure most of us saw it that way. Be at peace, my friend...

MA
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:32 PM

Default T&e

Ron,

I read finished your T&E article today, and I think John Duns Scotus is smiling in Heaven. You wrote:

" Even from the beginning of the creation of the universe, Christ was present in Heaven in His Human Nature as well as His Divine Nature."

There is one thing I just cannot understand. How could Christ's body be in the full maturity of His resurrection in the first Heaven before time began, and at the same time be maturing when he became Incarnate and grew up like the rest of us. It seems His body is in two different forms at once.

I answer myself by saying that Heaven is beyond time and place as you taught, so that Christ is really not in two places and times at once which is a mystery. But then I counter answer myself by saying does not the nature of the body and its circumference denote it must reside in an actual space/place?

Do not worry I am not brooding over this but I thought it might be neat to discuss ultimately some mysteries I will never understand.

Climacus
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
But then I counter answer myself by saying does not the nature of the body and its circumference denote it must reside in an actual space/place?
Your answer that Heaven is beyond time and place is the answer that I would give.

The body, considered only according to its natural abilities, cannot exist in Heaven, but then Heaven is a miraculous place where all is according to God's will, not according to nature.

Ron
Old 23rd August 2006, 10:48 PM

Default de:Above

Thanks Ron,

I shall write this one off to the Power and Mystery of God. I even did a quick scan of Aquanus's sections on the properties of the glorified body such as subtlety, agility, etc, but I found no possible leads or explanations. God has trumped me and I love it.

Now I shall move on to your Magisterium section, cause the "Theologian" said study is a cheif antidote against temptations of lust.

Hasta,

Climacus
Old 29th August 2006, 12:54 PM
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Your answer that Heaven is beyond time and place is the answer that I would give.

The body, considered only according to its natural abilities, cannot exist in Heaven, but then Heaven is a miraculous place where all is according to God's will, not according to nature.

Ron

Thank you for posting the article on Time & Eternity. It was just fascinating to read and wonder, for ultimately Wonder must surely be among our likely responses to God's infinite glories in Eternity. I don't know how to express the thought, naturally enough, "for eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it entered into the limits of the mind/what God has surely prepared for those who love Him," but nonetheless, the glorified bodies of Heaven are clothed. Clothed and adorned uniquely in accordance with, directly corresponding to the individual soul's virtues and triumphs, qualities and attributes. It is not gems and adornments and bright clothing put on like a robe, but intrinsic to the personage, organic in a sense. In Revelation, and even I think in Isaiah, we see references to the living stones, the fiery gems. :: sighs :: I know, I sound like a flako-bean, eh? We are trying to convey ineffable things using our finite, limited and darkened abilities and conceptual framework. Just, basically, our virtues and attributes that remain when the dross is burned away, are intrinsic to us, and burnished, form part of the glorified bodies of Heaven and the Heavenly raiment.