CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Catholics and other Christians
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th September 2008, 06:09 PM

Default Jehovah's Witnesses

Today a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses called to the house. They handed me their magazines and left.
They call about once a few months; I do not know if the situation is similar to you folks in the US or elsewhere.

Could someone please explain the main differences between the JW faith and the Catholic faith? Thanks

Shane
Old 30th September 2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in any of the Sacraments. They have an immersion ceremony, but it is not a Baptism. Since they lack a valid Sacrament of Baptism, like Mormons, they are not considered Christians.

JW believe that they are not saved, but only the 144,000 are saved.

With no Sacrament and no salvation, it is pointless to inquire further as to what the JW faith offers.
Old 1st October 2008, 02:49 AM
supporting member

I had a JW come to my door when I was going through RCIA some 10 years ago. I was very polite and was willing to hear him out and he came back several times. Even though I always told him that I was not interested in becoming a JW because I was in the process of becoming Catholic, he continued to talk. Finally, one day, I just didn't answer the door when he came and I felt a little bad. I wish I knew our faith back then as well as I know it know, maybe I would have been able to plant a seed in his heart!
Old 1st October 2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I think that the JWs have such an aggressive approach to looking for new members because it is the only way for their group to survive. They don't offer any Sacraments at all. They tell members they will not be saved. They don't have the words of eternal life.

I think that the Warning and subsequent events will cause many such fringe groups to collapse, and by the early 2020's, there will be no JWs or scientologists or mormons.
Old 1st October 2008, 06:07 PM

I have had JW come to my door in the past. I explained to them my faith, and told them I hope God blesses them and their efforts.

I read something after the fact in dealing with JW's in the future. If I have the time, next time I will invite them in and use a different approach. The link I read is below:

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0211fea6.asp

-jay
Old 1st October 2008, 09:50 PM

Also, JWs tend to treat Scripture as if it were a book of statistics; they often tend to be overly literal with their interpretations of passages. The 144,000 is a good example of this.

But what I cannot understand is why they reject the Sacraments, particularly the Holy Eucharist, which Christ consecrated himself and clearly taught the apostles to continue consecrating the Eucharist in His memory. I wonder what they think about that?

To reject celebrating the Eucharist is to reject Christ himself, so to speak.
Old 5th October 2008, 05:39 PM

Yeah, some of time ago, JW come to my door, talking about good thing globally and then give a magazine. They come several times periodically, and give another magazine. In the first time, they seem to be a nice people, talking a good thing globally, so me and my dad are welcome them, but when I read one of their magazine, I conclude that they don't believe that Jesus Christ is God, Son of God, and they reject eucharist and trinity concept, they call Jehovah instead of The Father. From this moment, I did not welcome them again, but my dad only, and my dad argue with them, and most likely they knew that what they are doing is useless because of our strong faith in catholic, so now they don't come to our door again. Maybe they are a nice people, but have a different faith.
Old 1st May 2010, 06:55 AM
supporting member

That would be wonderful if the Warning and Miracle would bring about a conversion for all the Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons. I wonder what will happen to the Mormon Churches with the odd steeple out in front. Here is the 100th Temple of the Church of Latter Day Saints:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_...husetts_Temple

Will these be torn down, or will they be converted into Catholic Churches? I've never been inside one of them, so I don't know if that would even be possible.

When my college orchestra went on recruiting tours, we were housed by the families of the the local high school string orchestra, many of whom were Mormon. I found them to be very kind, disciplined, and of course, they have very large families, so they are pro-life. They get up at 5 AM to exercise, practice the piano and read their religious education all before school. This is very different from the usual Protestant household which has been affected by use of contraception with very negative consequences.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Over the course of the first part of the tribulation, especially from the Warning to the unification of all Christians in one Catholic Church, I would expect Mormons and JWs to convert to Catholicism or fall away entirely. Neither Mormons nor JWs have a valid Sacrament of Baptism, so they are not Christians denominations. In my eschatology, when the Church is restructured to have five parts from the formerly Protestant churches, the Mormons and JWs cannot constitute any of those five parts because they are not Christian.