CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Music Groups
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th October 2008, 05:26 PM

Default Gregorian Chant

Hello everyone, wow there is no thread in this topic for a year , Okay, I'd like to start a new thread here.

Do you like gregorian music(gregorian chant)? For me, this is the music that I like the most, graceful music, hope the lyric perfectly fit with it's graceful melody , and sometimes good music can turn your heart in a good emotion too. I imagine, playing this gregorian chant music in my computer while reading articles in this forum is perfectly awesome condition, the gregorian chant music element is divine and grace, perfectly match with topic in this forum, about Divine, God, The Most Holy Trinity.

But unfortunately, I encounter some difficulties in finding this gregorian chant which has good quality, I mean this gregorian chant which the Holy See usually sing (example: Christmas or Easter Day Mass Celebration which held in St.Peter Basilica Vatican which lead by The Pope and broadcasted over the world.) And the gregorian chant which lyric is fit with it's divine melodic, from a verse in the bible maybe.

Anyone know where I can download or buy(yeah, buy, I will buy this kind of music if the quality is >= good, it's worth it) or find this kind of music, please? If someone know the link for free download for this kind of music, I am very appreciate it, would you like to share it?
(PS. I knew free stuff are harder to find, especially one that have copyrighted.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th October 2008, 07:30 PM

I have found stuff online by searching through Google, and also through youtube.com.

I have never had the pleasure of hearing Gregorian Chant during mass, so I could not imagine the effect on the mass.

-jay
Old 9th October 2008, 02:22 AM

I like chant and polyphony as well. We have quite a few CD's at our shop with both types.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:37 AM

It is the first music I have been able to truly relax and unwind to. Which is a challenge since I am wound up all the time and find it a struggle to be at peace. It is wonderous to hear and I can't imagine what it would be like to hear in person. If I was there, I hope it would be poorly lite to hide my tears.

It is very powerful music that stirs the soul.
Old 27th January 2009, 01:11 PM
Agobard

Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy Sacrosanctum Concilium
(document of the II Vatican Council):

116. The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services (...)

As we can see Gregorian chant is recommended even by II Vatican Council.
Old 21st June 2009, 03:33 AM

I received a couple of CD's from this monastery: http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/

I find them very good and worth a listen.
Old 21st June 2009, 06:00 AM

I like the melody of Gregorian type music, like to say it is the RCC's music, when I heard Gregorian songs, my imagination is back to divinity and RCC. Imagine being in a large hall of beautiful cathedral/basilica and the sunshine slips through the church's windows while hearing those songs is awesome... and in the outside hall there are doves which fly while you pass them, woah....

I never get this condition in my country , hehehe...., so just imagining is nice...
Old 14th August 2010, 09:43 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan A View Post
It is the first music I have been able to truly relax and unwind to. Which is a challenge since I am wound up all the time and find it a struggle to be at peace. It is wonderous to hear and I can't imagine what it would be like to hear in person. If I was there, I hope it would be poorly lite to hide my tears.

It is very powerful music that stirs the soul.

Yeah, agree
Old 14th August 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I received a couple of CD's from this monastery: http://www.clearcreekmonks.org/

Waow, thanks for the link, Dan

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 14th August 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:

I've made a visit to their website and listened to a sample of [The Assumption Album], since today is the Feast of the Assumption .
I really do feel you need to play this in a room with the right ambience, and the clarity of a CD hifi system, rather through a pair of computer's speakers, as the best way to recreate that 'live presence' of almost being there, and being immersed in it.

- It is interesting to note, on how they regard this:-

"The Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the great summer feast of the Virgin, has a double importance to the monks of Fontgombault. Besides being the Patroness of France, Our Lady in the mystery of her Assumption is also the Patroness of the Abbey of Fontgombault. This CD includes the chants of the Mass and the Office of Vespers for the Feast of the Assumption, August 15."