CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > About This Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th April 2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Membership Fee

I'm considering making a couple of changes to the discussion group. I wanted to get input from the current membership before making any decision.

1. charging a monthly membership fee

suggestions on the amount?
I was thinking in the range of $5 to $15 /month

some members who I know are not able to easily pay the fee
would be exempt (no charge at all)

payment would be after each month is completed,
and first month would be free

2. lowering the requirements for admission to the group; the required beliefs would still be in force, but only as principles which members could not contradict or argue against.

I'm not sure if the end result would be more members, or fewer members

Edited to add:

If I decide to have a monthly fee, all students will be exempt, anyone unemployed for any reason, and anyone without the ability to pay easily.

I might have different levels of membership, so that persons can choose to pay more or less, but this is not a donation of any kind.
Old 24th April 2009, 04:41 PM

Ron,

You are very charitable. I often wondered how you have been doing all of this as I know it cost money to operate.

How about donations? Would you accept any donations?
I am wondering if that could help prevent having to setup and charge a fee, although I understand a fee set at a regular interval is easier to manage.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in
Old 24th April 2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I'd rather not accept donations, because the money would not be going to site operating expenses, but to my personal expenses. This is not really a donation of any kind. Also, it is better for me to have a set amount of money per month.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:20 PM
supporting member

$10 to $15 sounds fair to me. Would there be a limit on members? My concern is too many members and too many questions could become difficult to manage.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
$10 to $15 sounds fair to me. Would there be a limit on members? My concern is too many members and too many questions could become difficult to manage.

Yes, I would limit the number of members.
Probably the limit would be 100 members, maybe less.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:49 PM
supporting member

Default Fees for Membership

I know that the hosting fees for the web-site can be substantial. I think a monthly fee is very appropriate. I agree that those who cannot afford it should not have to pay. Dividing the hosting fees by 100 members might be a reasonable formula to establish the initial fee. Will you use checks or credit cards???
Old 24th April 2009, 06:58 PM

Some thoughts:

~The fee would literally and symbolically make up for the feeling of indebtedness members have towards your work here.

~It might raise the level of focus, commitment & participation on both sides

~I like the idea that people would pay more or less within a range of fees, since people could decide how much to pay depending on circumstance.

On the otherhand, some people may forget to pay it, because of all the difficulties and distractions of modern life, so it might be more trouble than its worth.
Old 24th April 2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator

I don't think I would end up with 100 paying members, it would probably be more like 30. That is just the total membership limit that I'm thinking of in order to keep the group discussions edifying and manageable. I'm not sure at this point in time if I will even decide to have paying memberships.

Payments would be by PayPal.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:17 PM

Default some questions

Just some Questions Ron,

What is the reason for charging a monthly fee? (not that I cannot pay it, just curious)

Why now?

If you charged a monthly fee would you implement a password feature so that only members can look at the forum?

Would you accept payment in advance? like six months at a time?
Old 24th April 2009, 08:39 PM
supporting member

Yes, I think the membership idea is a good one. It is healthy to set boundaries on your time invested in this discussion group and it is also good to make people aware of the personal cost, in that you could be doing other things, rather than answering all of our questions.

Yes, I would like to pay the membership fee.

On a personal level, I honestly don't know how you are able to manage your website business and run Catholic Planet at the same time. I, too, am self-employed as a musician and, as you know, self-employment taxes are extraordinarily high. If it were not for my husband this year, I would have been rolling thousands of dollars of taxes into a payment plan to the IRS as I have done in previous years and am still paying on.