CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Lay Apostolate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th May 2009, 02:08 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Would be interesting. I know absolutely nothing from Canon Law !

Truth, Neither did I until only a few months ago. I had so many questions about it and could not find answers soI just started to read it. Most of it is very simple but some not, apparently. I dont know why they leave things ambigiuous.

Some things are really cool and interesting and you will definately become more educated on issues that come up in life.

Reading about marriage etc is very intersting.

Ron, lets do it!

We can refer to it here:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM
Old 11th May 2009, 09:51 AM
supporting member

Default A Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I was considering going through Canon Law in the discussion group, section by section. Is there any interest?

I would also be interested in the history of Cannon Law.....how did it begin.......how is it maintained......how are old laws purged if they are no longer relevent.....etc
Old 17th January 2011, 06:05 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

Ron,
Does this mean that a person who cant receive communion due to grave sine also cant go to Mass? I wish the canon was more clear on certain words like "celebrate".
Old 17th January 2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

Ron,
Does this mean that a person who cant receive communion due to grave sine also cant go to Mass? I wish the canon was more clear on certain words like "celebrate".

No, it does not mean that a person cannot go to Mass. The priest 'celebrates' the Mass; the laity 'participate' in the Mass.
Old 17th January 2011, 04:18 PM
TheGiftOfLife

I thought so, its confusing when they say a person, as if in general people can celebrate Mass.

So what does this mean, if a priest is in mortal sin, is the Mass illicit?
Old 17th January 2011, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought so, its confusing when they say a person, as if in general people can celebrate Mass.

So what does this mean, if a priest is in mortal sin, is the Mass illicit?

It has no effect on the licitness of the Mass for the participants, nor on the validity of the Eucharist. It would be the priest's own error, not that of anyone else.
Old 17th January 2011, 09:22 PM
TheGiftOfLife

The canon is very clear saying IS NOT permitted.

What if a priest sins and there is no other priest around and he is scheduled to say Mass, I know this is unlikely, but what is the teaching of the church on this? How should it be handled?
Old 18th January 2011, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The canon is very clear saying IS NOT permitted.

What if a priest sins and there is no other priest around and he is scheduled to say Mass, I know this is unlikely, but what is the teaching of the church on this? How should it be handled?

The priest should say an act of perfect contrition, then he may say Mass. That circumstance would count as a grave reason, so it is permitted under that Canon for him to say Mass.

But it is always the case, whenever anyone commits a grave sin, that they should repent and say an act of perfect contrition as soon as possible.
Old 8th February 2011, 06:57 AM

Ron,

If a priest is flawed in character, and somehow continues in the parish without the intervention of higher authority, (to whom the fact is unrecognised..it takes a number of complaints orgnised into a public petition to catch the authorities interest!), what must be the attitude of the repentent parishoner who needs to confess, after repeated unpleasnt experiences in the confessional?.. is it okay to confess in our hearts till a more amenable person takes his place..?

Flawed in the sense that confessional secrets are divulged, aggressiveness in the confessional and disregard for his vocational duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The priest should say an act of perfect contrition, then he may say Mass. That circumstance would count as a grave reason, so it is permitted under that Canon for him to say Mass.

But it is always the case, whenever anyone commits a grave sin, that they should repent and say an act of perfect contrition as soon as possible.
Old 8th February 2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyfifer View Post
Ron,

If a priest is flawed in character, and somehow continues in the parish without the intervention of higher authority, (to whom the fact is unrecognised..it takes a number of complaints orgnised into a public petition to catch the authorities interest!), what must be the attitude of the repentent parishoner who needs to confess, after repeated unpleasnt experiences in the confessional?.. is it okay to confess in our hearts till a more amenable person takes his place..?

Flawed in the sense that confessional secrets are divulged, aggressiveness in the confessional and disregard for his vocational duty.

Do not go to confession with a priest who breaks the seal of the confessional, unless it is necessary to your salvation. Go to confession with a different priest. A Catholic is free to confess to any priest, even one from another parish or diocese.

Confession of the heart? Catholics are obligated to go to confession at least once a year. Also, Catholics are obligated to go to confession soon if they have committed an actual mortal sin. Perfect contrition (sorrow and repentance from sin out of love of God and neighbor) forgives even actual mortal sin; but confession is still obligatory. If a person cannot get to confession, he should say an act of perfect contrition and then go to confession at his next opportunity.

A priest who breaks the seal of the confessional commits a grave sin and is automatically excommunicated.