CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Saints, Blesseds, Venerables, Causes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2006, 10:29 PM
DiAZ216

Default Saint Joseph

In pictures, prayer cards and statues that I've seen of St. Joseph, he is often depicted holding a flower, often a lily, as well as carpentry tools and/or the child Jesus. I've checked several references and can find no mention of why he is depicted holding a lily. Interestingly, two of these sources state, somewhat inaccurately, that the only reliable information about him is to be found in the Gospel narratives.

I've been reading The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary by Venerable Anne Catherine Emmerich:
Quote:
On the command of the high priest, Joseph now came, dressed in his best, to the Temple at Jerusalem. He, too, had to hold a branch in his hand during the prayer and sacrifice, and as he was about to lay this on the alter before the Holy of Holies, a white flower like a lily blossomed out of the top of it, and I saw over him an appearance of light like the Holy Ghost. Joseph was now recognized as appointed by God to be the bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin, and was presented to her by the priests in the presence of her mother.

This would seem to explain the lily Joseph is depicted holding. I was wondering if anyone else knew of any other source explaining the lily?

Darrell
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Default Saint Joseph and the lily

There is some apocryphal literature dating from the earth Church that describes something similar to what Blessed A.C. Emmerich describes.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/noncanon/

These works are not Scripture and do contain errors of fact. But it also shows that this idea about St. Joseph goes back to the early Church.

Ron
Old 2nd February 2006, 03:23 PM
DiAZ216

Thanks for the resource Ron.

Darrell
Old 4th November 2008, 12:04 AM

I am looking for information about St. Joseph, as I currently do not have much on him, since he is not mentioned too often in Scripture. Anything at all would be a great help. Thanks.

Shane
Old 4th November 2008, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich gives some details about St. Joseph's early life, and what he was like as head of the holy family, in her book, The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Old 12th September 2009, 08:43 PM

Ron, St. Joseph is ranked higher in heaven than St. John?
Old 12th September 2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouxi View Post
Ron, St. Joseph is ranked higher in heaven than St. John?

Christ is the holiest human nature in Heaven, then Mary because of her special role assisting Christ in our salvation. But after that I would not say that there is an absolute ranking for every soul in heaven.

St. Joseph and St. John both were conceived with original sin, but (as I understand it) neither of them committed the least personal in their entire lives, by a special grace of God. So they are about the same in holiness.

Jesus said that no one born of woman (conceived and born in the usual way, i.e. without a miraculous virgin conception and a miraculous virgin birth) is greater than John the Baptist. But this allows for some to be his equal, which would include St. Joseph.

St. Joseph and St. John the Baptist both had mystical baptisms in the womb. This shows that non-formal Baptisms need not be only a baptism of desire or of blood. It also supports the idea that prenatals and infants who die in the womb are saved by a mystical baptism.

The holiness of St. Joseph and of St. John are discussed in my book:
New Insights into the Deposit of Faith.
Old 12th September 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Christ is the holiest human nature in Heaven, then Mary because of her special role assisting Christ in our salvation. But after that I would not say that there is an absolute ranking for every soul in heaven.

St. Joseph and St. John both were conceived with original sin, but (as I understand it) neither of them committed the least personal in their entire lives, by a special grace of God. So they are about the same in holiness.

Jesus said that no one born of woman (conceived and born in the usual way, i.e. without a miraculous virgin conception and a miraculous virgin birth) is greater than John the Baptist. But this allows for some to be his equal, which would include St. Joseph.

Thank you! But don't you think that the role of St. Joseph as being the foster father of the savior, and the man who protected Jesus and held him in his arms, gives him higher degree of holiness? I have read in many books that After the holy trinity, Mary is in the upper place, St. Joseph is directly after her ( even higher than St. Michael the archangel). I don;t know how much this holds truth, but i read it in many credible books...

Last edited by zouxi : 12th September 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12th September 2009, 09:14 PM

Ron and all the members, i have read this brilliant APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION given by pope John Paul 2 in 2002 on st: joseph , herebelow the link (from vatican website):

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/jo...custos_en.html

Worth to read indeed!
Old 12th September 2009, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouxi View Post
Thank you! But don't you think that the role of St. Joseph as being the foster father of the savior, and the man who protected Jesus and held him in his arms, gives him higher degree of holiness? I have read in many books that After the holy trinity, Mary is in the upper place, St. Joseph is directly after her ( even higher than St. Michael the archangel). I don;t know how much this holds truth, but i read it in many credible books...

In the Gospel, Jesus plainly teaches:

{11:11} Amen I say to you, among those born of women, there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

{7:28} For I say to you, among those born of women, no one is greater than the prophet John the Baptist. But he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

Therefore, Joseph is not greater than John the Baptist. These two men had very different roles, but the role does not indicate the level of holiness. Both roles were very important to the plan of salvation, and both roles required the men chosen to be very holy.