CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Biblical Chronology and Church History
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th March 2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsedivy View Post
Yes, communion in the hand is just one issue and yes it is allowed. And no it is not a doctrine. But quite frankly, it was an experiment gone bad as we can clearly see the fruits today. I was so grateful to see and hear Cardinal Burke say that the Holy Father wants the faithful to reconsider the ancient tradition of receiving communion on the tongue and on the knees.

What's more important is to receive Christ in your heart than the exterior act of whether receiving Him in your mouth or hands. A person receiving Christ on the hand can be holier than a person receiving Christ on the mouth, so we can not judge people on these specific exterior acts otherwise we can very well be fooled. Our hands can very well be in the form of a throne in order to receive Him, we can look at Him, pray to Him, ask Him, etc. We can also receive Him directly in our mouths. The point is that as long as we receive Him in our hearts, with love and respect, God takes that into His consideration.
Old 15th March 2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
What's more important is to receive Christ in your heart than the exterior act of whether receiving Him in your mouth or hands. A person receiving Christ on the hand can be holier than a person receiving Christ on the mouth, so we can not judge people on these specific exterior acts otherwise we can very well be fooled. Our hands can very well be in the form of a throne in order to receive Him, we can look at Him, pray to Him, ask Him, etc. We can also receive Him directly in our mouths. The point is that as long as we receive Him in our hearts, with love and respect, God takes that into His consideration.

In all due respect (and kindness) you have missed the point, I'm sorry to say.

The body speaks a language. While God can read our hearts and know what's in there, the people around you cannot. What is the message the body is conveying TO OTHERS?

The young people that are being formed in their faith canNOT read your heart. Is it not by our actions that we evangelize to others (St Francis of Assisi)? The young children are not seeing anything special about this "cracker" the big people are getting in their hand. This is not a "bread line" -- it is the Most Holy -- the Sacred species -- the body, blood, soul & divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

A reverent bow does not cut it for me (for ME - your choice is your choice). I don't care if one bends so low they touch their toes. When we enter church and Jesus is in the tabernacle, we bend on one knee (the right knee) and when He is exposed we bend two knees. How much more exposed can He be than to be fed directly on our tongue, yet we are not bending a single knee at all? That does not make sense to me.

There is a direct correlation if you look at the reception of Holy communion (note: HOLY) in the hand and standing and the gradual loss of belief in the true presence. Those already formed in their faith that started to receive in the hand had a much better chance of retaining that faith of the true presence. However, the upcoming generations that were not previously formed, just walked up in the bread line to get their "piece". Nothing special.

I sit up front in mass and have witnessed the general attitudes of people as they receive. A child looks more joyful jumping off of Santa's lap than receiving the King of Kings.
Old 15th March 2011, 02:52 PM

Default job interview held in higher regard

People take going to a job interview more seriously than going to their (hopefully) regular "eternity interview" at confession and subsequent Eucharist.....
Old 15th March 2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsedivy View Post
In all due respect (and kindness) you have missed the point, I'm sorry to say.

The body speaks a language. While God can read our hearts and know what's in there, the people around you cannot. What is the message the body is conveying TO OTHERS?

The young people that are being formed in their faith canNOT read your heart. Is it not by our actions that we evangelize to others (St Francis of Assisi)? The young children are not seeing anything special about this "cracker" the big people are getting in their hand. This is not a "bread line" -- it is the Most Holy -- the Sacred species -- the body, blood, soul & divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

A reverent bow does not cut it for me (for ME - your choice is your choice). I don't care if one bends so low they touch their toes. When we enter church and Jesus is in the tabernacle, we bend on one knee (the right knee) and when He is exposed we bend two knees. How much more exposed can He be than to be fed directly on our tongue, yet we are not bending a single knee at all? That does not make sense to me.

There is a direct correlation if you look at the reception of Holy communion (note: HOLY) in the hand and standing and the gradual loss of belief in the true presence. Those already formed in their faith that started to receive in the hand had a much better chance of retaining that faith of the true presence. However, the upcoming generations that were not previously formed, just walked up in the bread line to get their "piece". Nothing special.

I sit up front in mass and have witnessed the general attitudes of people as they receive. A child looks more joyful jumping off of Santa's lap than receiving the King of Kings.

From my previous post:
Quote:
The point is that as long as we receive Him in our hearts, with love and respect, God takes that into His consideration.

It seems that you haven't understand my point. If a person sees someone receiving Christ on the hand with love and respect, then, that person is also going to learn from that deed. A young person can also see that there is something "especial" about it and that is not about any "common or regular food or routine". The problem is not whether you receive Him on your mouth or hand, it relies if the persons "knows" what they are receiving, it is about education from home and from the Catechists who should teach very well the children the meaning of Holy Communion. What is important if they receive Christ with love and respect in their hearts and minds - with dignity, it is not a matter of whether hands or mouth.

Last edited by Brother : 15th March 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
People take going to a job interview more seriously than going to their (hopefully) regular "eternity interview" at confession and subsequent Eucharist.....

WOW! That is such a great way to look it at. Thanks!
Old 15th March 2011, 03:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
From my previous post:

It seems that you haven't understand my point. If a person sees someone receiving Christ on the hand with love and respect, then, that person is also going to learn from that deed. A young person can also see that there is something "especial" about it and that is not about any "common or regular food or routine". The problem is not whether you receive Him on your mouth or hand, it relies if the persons "knows" what they are receiving, it is about education from home and from the Catechists who should teach very well the children the meaning of Holy Communion. What is important if they receive Christ with love and respect in their hearts and minds - with dignity, it is not a matter of whether hands or mouth.

There definitely needs to be more catechizing from home. I agree with you on that. But how many (Americans, anyway) are taking that time for #1 as most moms (unfortunately) are working full time and keeping up with laundry and cooking and cleaning takes up most of the time outside of work.

In addition to that, #2 is that most moms today are not qualified to catechize because THEY don't even know the faith well enough. At 47, I consider myself in the "lost generation" of Catholics that had not been properly catechized.

As for hand or mouth argument..........well............I'll take my lead from the Pope, thank you.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:10 PM

PS. I'll just add that I have read much (VERY much) on both sides of the "hand" argument and I have been lead to the mouth.
Old 15th March 2011, 03:35 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Just my 2 cents:
I AM a catechist and I am scared. Our hands are tied as to what we may teach and there is so much "warm and fuzzy" tripe in our textbooks that finding a JUST God is pretty hard. They want us to lean only toward the God of mercy, but woe to these poor children who know nothing of consequences either here or in the hereafter.
We have Confirmation interviews to test their knowledge and almost nobody should pass. Even the parochial school kids are sadly lacking. However, with a little smile and a pat of the head, little Johnny is sent on for the sacrament in the hopes that the grace of the sacrament will perform some sort of miracle and Johnny and his family will become faith-filled evangelizers. Well, I hope not because not only do they not know the faith, but they are entirely uninterested.
I don't have an answer but at least I acknowledge the problem. I just wish our clergy did. I know there are some great priests out there and most are well-meaning. But intentions don't get us into heaven and after all, heaven is the real goal.
Old 15th March 2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator

The Church has the authority to decide matters of discipline, such as receiving Communion in the hand or on the tongue. The Church has decided to permit Communion in the hand, but to use Communion on the tongue as the norm. It is permissible for Catholics to disagree with the Pope or the Bishops on a matter of discipline, and on judgments of the prudential order.
Old 16th March 2011, 12:59 AM

Default If you think this is bad...just wait...

If you think that most Catholics have no clue about true Church teaching now, imagine what it will be like when these "theologians" growing up have their own kids in 20 years!