CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > God - the Most Holy Trinity
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2010, 04:03 PM

Default Why Jesus Spat

I would have posted this in the Bible study but I might be off the internet for the summer, so I figured I would share this insight which came to me.

From the Gospel of John

{9:1} And Jesus, while passing by, saw a man blind from birth.
{9:2} And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?”
{9:3} Jesus responded: “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but it was so that the works of God would be made manifest in him.

All the miracles of Christ have a spiritual level of meaning. In an implicit way they reveal the deep and subtle truths of God and his works. Jesus chose this man to heal as well as to teach about God who is Truth and transcends all expression.

{9:4} I must work the works of him who sent me, while it is day: the night is coming, when no one is able to work.
{9:5} As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

At this time Jesus was proclaiming to the Jews, in so many ways and expressions that God the Father has sent Him into the world.

{9:6} When he had said these things, he spat on the ground, and he made clay from the spittle, and he smeared the clay over his eyes.
{9:7} And he said to him: “Go, wash in the pool of Siloam” (which is translated as: one who has been sent). Therefore, he went away and washed, and he returned, seeing.

Jesus spat on the ground. This signifies the Father sending the Son into the world by means of the Incarnation. It also signifies the the Son eternally proceeding from the Father.

After Jesus spat he made clay using the saliva of his mouth and soil of the earth. This signifies the Son assuming his human nature which was created by the Spirit. The clay signifies the mystical, continual and irrevocable union of the Divine nature and human nature of Jesus Christ. Saliva, the Divine nature, dirt, the human nature, clay, Jesus Christ.

The act of Jesus smearing the clay on the blind man's eyes signifies the character or seal of Baptism. "Baptism seals the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark (character) of his belonging to Christ." (CCC. 1272)

The blind man washing in the Pool of Siloam signifies Baptism. The cleansing of original sin, etc. The two eyes of opening signifies the opening of the heart and mind to the Divine nature by the effect of sanctifying grace.

The Pool of Siloam means "one who has been sent" to set a proclamatory exclamation on the whole event.

Saliva is intimate. It comes from inside the mouth, inside the body. Think of a husband and wife kissing. The gift of Jesus Christ and sanctifying grace effected through baptism is an unfathomable, and astonishing gift of God's intimacy with men.

It is amazing to think that the Lord would use such a lowly human act to teach such profound truths.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Good insights. I agree.