CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > God - the Most Holy Trinity
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2010, 09:05 PM

Default Melchizedek

It seems that Melchizedek was an Angel of the Lord, sent to prepare the way for Abraham, Palestine, as well as perform many other tasks in his time.

Hebrews
{7:1} For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, met Abraham, as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him.

Salem means 'fulfilled', 'complete' or more commonly 'peace' . Melchizedek's mission as an Angel of the Lord was to be a counselor, guide and peacemaker to the tribes and nations who were still settling after the Flood as well as those dispersed at the Tower of Babel. And to prepare Abraham for his mission as well as to prepare the land of Palestine for the coming of the Israelites. And so he was a king of peace, a foreshadowing of the great King and Peacemaker, Jesus Christ who settles, unites, and guides all the nations from Heaven in and through the Church. From the visions of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich:

"I have seen Melchizedek appearing here and there, interposing and legislating in the affairs of nations"

"I always saw Melchizedek alone, save when he had to busy himself with the uniting, the separating, or the guiding of nations and families."

Here is part of Blessed Anne's summary of Jesus' conversation with pagan philosophers at Lanifa an isle of Cyprus presumably during his public ministry:

"As the stream of nations moved along, God had sent Melchizedek to the best families, to lead and unite them, to prepare for them land and abiding places, in order that they might preserve themselves unsullied and, in proportion to their degree of worthiness, be found more or less fit to receive the grace of the Promise."

According to Blessed A.C. Emmerich Salem was a place Melchizedek built which was a sort of base for his many tasks including the founding of Jerusalem which was distinct from Salem:

"I saw that Melchizedek built a castle at Salem. But is was rather a tent with galleries and steps around it. . . That tent-castle was a resort for strangers and travellers, a kind of safe and convenient inn near pleasant waters. . . That tent-castle was Melchisedek's central point. From it he started his journeys to lay out Jerusalem, to visit Abraham, and to go elsewhere. Here also he gathered together and distributed families and peoples, who settled in various places. . . Melchizedek built Salem before he built Jerusalem. Wherever he laboured and constructed, he seemed to be laying the foundation of a future grace, to be drawing attention to that particular place, to be beginning something that would be perfected in the future."

The first time in Sacred Scripture the name and city of Jerusalem is directly mentioned is book of Judges. I like Blessed Anne's description. It seems more fitting that Melchizedek had a base he called Salem which also signified his mission. Then separately he laid the groundwork or more or less founded Jerusalem. He announced himself King of Salem to Abraham since if he was an Angel of the Lord, which I am pretty convinced he was, he would not properly be a king of any city on earth.

{7:2} And Abraham divided to him a tenth part of everything. And in translation his name is first, indeed, king of justice, and next also king of Salem, that is, king of peace.

The name Melchizedek means ‘my king is righteous.’ And the next comes from his title king of Salem.

{7:3} Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life, he is thereby likened to the Son of God, who remains a priest continuously.

He is without father, mother, genealogy, or beginning of days on earth in conception and birth, nor end of life in death, since he is an Angel created beyond earth and sent by God. In this sense Melchizedek is a unique and fitting foreshadowing of Jesus Christ, the Son eternally proceeding from the Father and sent into this world by means of the Incarnation, who is and will always be the great immortal High Priest. From the visions of Blessed Anne:

"I have often seen Melchizedek, but never as a human being. I have always seen him as a being of another nature, as an angel, as one sent by God. I have never at any time seen any determinate dwelling-place, any home, any family, any associates connected with him. I never saw him eating, drinking or sleeping, and never did the thought occur to me that he was a mortal. He was clothed as no priest at the time on the earth, but like the angels in the Heavenly Jerusalem."

"Melchizedek belongs to the choir of angels that are set over countries and nations, that brought messages to Abraham and the other Patriarchs. They stand opposite the archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael.

Genesis
{14:17} Then the king of Sodom went out to meet him, after he returned from the slaughter at Chedorlaomer, and the kings who were with him at the valley of Shaveh, which is the valley of the king.
{14:18} Then in truth, Melchizedek, the king of Salem, brought forth bread and wine, for he was a priest of the Most High God;

Blessed A.C. Emerich: "I often saw Melchizedek with Abraham. . . He told him that he would come to him again to sacrifice bread and wine . . . As a preparation for it, he [Abraham] built a very beautiful altar and surrounded it with an arbor. When about to come for the sacrifice of bread and wine, Melchizedek sent messengers to command Abraham to make his coming known and to announce him as King of Salem. . . Upon Melchizedek's arrival, he found the King of Sodom already with Abraham in his tent. . . All were very grave and solemn, full of reverence for Melchizedek whose presence inspired awe. . . They now prayed before them that God would fulfill the promise made to Adam of the future Messiah. . . The ceremony reminded me of the Holy Mass. I saw him elevate the bread and wine, offer, bless, and break. . . The bread too was passed around in morsels. . . They had only been blessed, not consecrated. The angels cannot consecrate."

Abraham as well as others present were in their own right great men. Only a holy Angel of God would inspire the sort of reverence and awe described by Blessed Anne in the great event of the sacrifice of bread and wine as a foreshadowing of the Holy Eucharist established by Jesus Christ to last until the end of time.

{14:19} he blessed him, and he said: “Blessed be Abram by the Most High God, who created heaven and earth.
{14:20} And blessed be the Most High God, through whose protection the enemies are in your hands.” And he gave him tithes from everything.

Blessed Anne: "When Melchizedek at the sacrifice of bread and wine blessed Abraham, he at the same time ordained him a priest. He spoke over him the words: 'The Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand. Thou art a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek. The Lord has sworn, and He will not repent.' He laid his hands upon Abraham, and Abraham gave him tithes.

Psalms
{109:4} The Lord has sworn, and he will not repent: “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.”

Blessed Anne: "I saw also that David when composing this Psalm had a vision of Abraham's ordination by Melchizedek, and that he repeated the last words prophetically. The words, 'Sit at my right hand,' have a peculiar signification. When the eternal generation of the Son from the Father was shown me in a vision, I saw the Son issuing from the right side of the Father. . . I saw that Eve came from the right side of Adam, the Patriarch's carried the Blessing in their right side, and that they placed the children to whom they delivered it upon their right. Jesus received the stroke of the lance in His right side, and the Church came forth from the same right side. When we enter the Church, we go into the right side of Jesus, and we are in Him united to His Heavenly Father."

"I think Melchizedek's mission upon earth was ended with this sacrifice and the ordination of Abraham, for after I saw him no more. . . "

all quotes of Blessed Anne taken from Volume I of The Lowly Life and Bitter Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ and His Blessed Mother.

Last edited by Climacus Areopagite : 14th July 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 16th July 2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Good research Climacus, with all this information I think that you might be right that Melchizedek was in fact an Angel. This reminds me of Archangel Raphael when he helped Tobias in this travels and to find a wife.

The name of Melchizedek meaning "my King is righteous" is well fitting to be chosen by/for an Angel for earthy language. As Ron has explained before, any of the Angel's names that are known to us, are not actually their real names because their are spiritual beings only and they do not communicate with each other by spoken word:

Quote:
Raphael is not his name either. The Angels were created before humanity, and before any human language. They must have some way of referring to one another, but it is not by a spoken word, since they have no bodies. An Angelic name is not a pronounceable or writable word. And so Angels are conveniently referred to by some other name, or by various names.
http://www.catholicplanet.net/forum/...ead.php?t=3914

Melchizedek = My King is righteous

Raphael = God heals

Azariah = God's help

Raphael also said that he is "one of the seven who stand before the Lord".

God knows if Melchizedek is also "one of the seven who stand before the Lord".
Old 16th July 2010, 09:24 PM

I found it very fascinating Brother.

I am interested in ancient history, how people lived before and during the time of Christ. Blessed Anne has a lot of detailed descriptions. It is truly wonderful. Also very interesting what she had to say about the Egyptians. These Egyptians are given way to much respect by moderns, way to much. They were immersed in evil. The pyramids were built by people in communication with demons, practicing all types of wickedness. They were designed for star worship, sexual sins, perverse forms of pleasure. Not to mention the Egyptian people were immersed in all the idolatry, sacrificing of humans, enslaving millions, sexual sins, they tampered with chronology and genealogy with the arrogant intent of making their kings and royal families, priests more important and ancient than they really were and so on. Where is all the fascination and genius not to mention goodness in all of that? Folly, stupidity and evil.

Instead it is much better to study Abraham, Melchizedek, Noah, the Prophets, the holy ones of Israel up to Christ and beyond.

Maybe Melchizedek if he truly was an Angel is one of the seven since Blessed Anne said:

"Melchizedek belongs to the choir of angels that are set over countries and nations, that brought messages to Abraham and the other Patriarchs. They stand opposite the archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael."

Not sure exactly what this means. She says choir so maybe he is a lesser angel, but if a choir stand opposite of the great three above that leaves four open ones which we do not know the names of, so maybe Melchizedek is one of those.

Last edited by Climacus Areopagite : 16th July 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:06 PM

I tried to work out a speculative commentary on the remaining chapter of Hebrews following the theme above. I dont know if I am right about the tithing and other things but maybe someone else can figure it out:

{7:4} Next, consider how great this man is, since the Patriarch Abraham even gave tithes to him from the principal things.

I am not sure if Saint Paul (or whoever authored Hebrews) knew Melchizedek was an Angel of the Lord and not a man, based on the visions of Blessed Anne the human mind of Jesus apparently knew Melchizedek was an Angel. Yet there is no error whatsoever in Sacred Scripture. So the Sacred Writer refers to Melchizedek as a man since as an Angel Melchizedek certainly appeared as a man to other men just like Raphael did to Tobit and Tobias, and others. Sacred Scripture refers to Raphael as a young man several times since he appeared as a man.

{5:5} Then Tobias, departing, found a splendid young man, standing girded and seemingly ready for travel.
{5:13} And the young man [Raphael] said to him, “Be steadfast in soul. Your cure from God is near.”

A tithe is a gift of one tenth of one's possesions. The tithe has a deep spiritual significance. Blessed Anne admitted she forgot what it was. Abraham gave tithes to Melchizedek since the role of Melchizedek was to represent God, and foreshadow God's future presence on earth in the Word made flesh. God owns everything. He has no need of tithes. So the tithe must signify the gift of one's self to God in love and this gift of self is represented by those corporeal possessions which are owned and in a way proceed from the self, the whole person (soul-body-spirit) by means of labor. The ten commandments proceed from the one great commandment to love God. So perhaps there is a spiritual (indirect) connection between the ten commandments and the tenth part given as a tithe. The tithe also had the practical purpose of supporting the O.T. priests, yet all the O.T. disciplines had a deeper spiritual significance in order to teach the Israelites and to prepare for the Messiah.

{7:5} And indeed, those who are from the sons of Levi, having received the priesthood, hold a commandment to take tithes from the people in accord with the law, that is, from their brothers, even though they also went forth from the loins of Abraham.
{7:6} But this man, whose lineage is not enumerated with them, received tithes from Abraham, and he blessed even the one who held the promises.

Melchizedek's lineage is not enumerated since he was an Angel sent by God from Heaven foreshadowing the eternal Son sent by the eternal Father by means of the Incarnation. The promises of the Messiah Jesus Christ, as well as the priesthood according to the order of Melchizedek, were held in the loins of Abraham, since Christ was a descendent of Abraham.

{7:7} Yet this is without any contradiction, for what is less should be blessed by what is better.

Melchizedek was a holy Angel of Heaven sent by God and so a greater than Abraham even though Abraham held the promises in his body and soul. Yet more importantly the role Melchizedek fulfilled was to represent and foreshadow Jesus Christ who was still to come at the time.

{7:8} And certainly, here, men who receive tithes still die; but there, he bears witness that he lives.
{7:9} And so it may be said that even Levi, who received tithes, was himself a tithe through Abraham.
{7:10} For he was still in the loins of his father, when Melchizedek met him.

The act of Abraham giving tithes from the principal things was a foreshadowing of the consecration of the priests of the Old Testament dedicated to serving God. He in a symbolic manner gave a part of his descendants (a part in general not necessarily the tenth part), the Levites to God for the priesthood even before they were even conceived and born.

{7:11} Therefore, if consummation had occurred through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), then what further need would there be for another Priest to rise up according to the order of Melchizedek, one who was not called according to the order of Aaron?
{7:12} For since the priesthood has been transferred, it is necessary that the law also be transferred.
{7:13} For he about whom these things have been spoken is from another tribe, in which no one attends before the altar.
{7:14} For it is evident that our Lord arose out of Judah, a tribe about which Moses said nothing concerning priests.

It is interesting that according to Blessed Anne Abraham was ordained by Melchizedek when he was blessed: "When Melchizedek at the sacrifice of bread and wine blessed Abraham, he at the same time ordained him a priest. He spoke over him the words: 'The Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand. Thou art a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek. The Lord has sworn, and He will not repent.' He laid his hands upon Abraham, and Abraham gave him tithes."

It seems to me fitting that Abraham would be ordained according to the order of Melchizedek since his descendant Jesus Christ who fulfilled the priesthood according to the order of Melchizedek was from a different tribe than the O.T. priests. In verse six Abraham holds promises in the plural, which include the Promise of the Messiah, the promise of the fulfillment of the priesthood according to Melchizedek's order, as well as other promises such as the one promised to Adam and Eve who would crush the head of the serpent, the Blessed Virgin Mary. Catholic priests as well as all the Faithful who in a limited sense share in the priesthood are spiritual descendants of Abraham. So I see a deep significance of this meeting of Melchizedek and Abraham.

{7:15} And yet it is far more evident that, according to the likeness of Melchizedek, there rises up another priest,
{7:16} who was made, not according to the law of a carnal commandment, but according to the virtue of an indissoluble life.
{7:17} For he testifies: “You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek.”
{7:18} Certainly, there is a setting aside of the former commandment, because of its weakness and lack of usefulness.
{7:19} For the law led no one to perfection, yet truly it introduced a better hope, through which we draw near to God.
{7:20} Moreover, it is not without an oath. For certainly, the others were made priests without an oath.
{7:21} But this man was made a priest with an oath, by the One who said to him: “The Lord has sworn and he will not repent. You are a priest forever.”
{7:22} By so much, Jesus has been made the sponsor of a better testament.
{7:23} And certainly, so many of the others became priests because, due to death, they were prohibited from continuing.
{7:24} But this man, because he continues forever, has an everlasting priesthood.
{7:25} And for this reason, he is able, continuously, to save those who approach God through him, since he is ever alive to make intercession on our behalf.
{7:26} For it was fitting that we should have such a High Priest: holy, innocent, undefiled, set apart from sinners, and exalted higher than the heavens.

These described above are angelic qualities perhaps guided by the Spirit in keeping with the theme of Melchizedek. He was a special holy, innocent and undefiled foreshadowing of Jesus, since as an Angel he never sinned. According to the visions of Saint Anne he never had any associates connected with him, so he was set apart on earth. He was a member of Heaven. Yet Jesus is exalted higher than the Heaven since He is God. He is the source of holiness, innocence itself, completely and perfectly undefiled in any every whatsoever, whereas an Angel may imperfections since "in his angels he [God] finds imperfection." (Job 4:1

Catholic priests should strive to imitate these angelic qualities of Jesus Christ. They should in a sense be set apart. They should be holy, innocent, undefiled as much as possible in imitation of Jesus.

{7:27} And he has no need, daily, in the manner of other priests, to offer sacrifices, first for his own sins, and then for those of the people. For he has done this once, by offering himself.
{7:28} For the law appoints men as priests, though they have infirmities. But, by the word of the oath that is after the law, the Son has been perfected for eternity.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:16 PM

One more interesting thing to consider in the verse of Genesis:

{14:18} Then in truth, Melchizedek, the king of Salem, brought forth bread and wine, for he was a priest of the Most High God;

'Then in truth' is a sort of emphatic implying that Melchizedek was considered great in his time and this act of offering the bread and wine was a unique event for its time.

The verse asserts he was a priest of the Most High God. He is the first priest mentioned in the Bible. This was before formal religion and before Divine Revelation began with the Abraham and his descendants the Jews as well as before Aaron the first high priest. Noah built altars and sacrificied, so did other of the holy ancients, but Sacred Scripture does not formally call them priests. So who made Melchizedek priest of the most high God? A pagan Canaanite priest would not be considered by the Sacred Writer as a priest of the Most High.

So he is an Angel sent by God.
Old 18th July 2010, 02:25 AM
Administrator

I don't think we can consider Melchizedek to be a priest in the New Testament sense of the word. Even though Bl. Emmerich says he was 'ordained', the ordained priesthood began with Christ and the Apostles. So if he is not ordained, then he could be an Angel, or a man who reached a high degree of holiness prior to Divine Revelation to the Jews. Enoch was also such a man; despite not having Tradition, Scripture, or Magisterium, he knew the truth that God exists and he knew right from wrong, by the light of reason and natural law. Melchizedek might have been an angel, as Bl. Emmerich says, but in either case, he was a priest only in a figurative sense.
Old 18th July 2010, 07:01 PM

thanks. I had a feeling that I didnt have that sorted out in my mind well.