CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Inspirational Stories and Experiences
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th October 2010, 06:37 PM

Post A little experience from me

Well...

A little experience from me, let's say that a while ago, I'm addicted to a game called Heroes of Newerth (HON), it's a game similar to Warcraft III ( DOTA - Defense of The Ancient ) made by Blizzard. I have played DoTA for 4 years since 2005 to 2009, and in 2009 I met with new game very similar to it called HON ( Heroes of Newerth ), and I've played HON for 1 year since 2009 to 2010 until a while ago till I can finally said that I've freed from my addiction to DOTA or HON ( because they're very similar ).

This game, directly or indirectly, honest or lie ( at that time my mind always have justifications for it, even my heart honestly want to free from this game, but I wasn't freed yet at that time ), this game have very high addicted effect to your psychology, you can be very happy because of this game, and on the other side, you can be very mad, sad, depressed and crazy because of this game even the effect is just temporary but it could be fatal. Actually it's a simple game, it's a RTS ( Real Time Strategy ) game, there are 2 teams, legion and scourge, each team has up to 5 member, so usually the game would be 5 vs 5, the goals is to break enemy's bases and tower, and to obtain this goal, there are many ways, once which I categorized as the one that make you stick with this game is when you PAWNED other heroes controlled by other players who is your enemy. The feeling of kill enemy's heroes, pawned enemy's heroes, attack enemy's heroes, crush enemy's heroes is very very satisfying especially when your enemy's has pressed you earlier on the game, and you can revenge by pawned him, the feeling is really satisfying. In one word, the biggest factor which can make this game interesting or addictive is REVENGE. And very often if your skill is bad, or you did mistakes in the team war, you'll end up got bullied by your allies, cyber bullying using very harsh words...

I usually play this online game with my friends, and honestly I'm aware of this negative effect caused by this game like my heart fill with hatred when I'm lose, and become bad mood for the days..., my sleep schedule become distorted, I often stayed up till late, the worst is till 5 A.M just because of game...

And maybe God knew it all, He knew I want to free from this addictive game, He knew honestly I want peace in my heart and not full of hatred and revenge caused by this game, I pray to God to help me free from this game.., and I feel God did acts to me but you know what my responses are, I counter it, I counter what I feel that is God's acts to help me, for example, suddenly I can not play that game, my computer system crashes, etc, etc... obstacles to make me far from that game, but I always try to fix it, and it ended fixed and I can play that game again ..., so actually in my deepest heart I want to stop playing this game, but in some layer at my heart I still want to play this game, and my logic made justifications to cover up the wishes of my deepest heart... ~.~

And on my desperate desire to free from this game, I pray to God, God, I give up, I can not stop, I don't know what to do, please do something in real to make me free from this game, please use your authority or command over me, I give up with freedom you've gave to me, I can not control my freedom on this case, please use your power, overwrite my freedom with your words, command me.. and please make happen I free from this game....

After that, I still play that game, obstacles come.., errors.., etc but I always can fix it, and ended still play that game........ till one day, when I started the game, the game did not error.., the game is normal, but the interface of the game is disappeared, the interface of the game is invisible..., what the heck..? I tried to fix it, I posted on forums, I re-installed the game, I did anything I could..., but at the end..., the interface of the game is still invisible, and I do not now anymore how to fix it...... AND AT LAST, I knew.., I knew this was God's acts to me..., this situation is given to me by God to make me free from this game....and YEAHHHH...., thanks God, at last you did something that finally can stop me for playing that game....., Hallelujah!!

Conclusion:
God truly do something ( acts ) in reality, in our world, truly help us if we fully surrender to Him. But I or most of us can not truly fully surrender to Him until we've beaten up, until we can not do anything, until we give up...

Surrender in Him and His helps will comes in reality....

PS. I just knew that the word 'give up' is really close in meaning with the word 'surrender'... and sorry if there are any mistakes in my English..., my English still not yet perfect..

Just a little experience from the unexperienced...

A question to Ron, can we give up our freedom which is given by God, in case of we can not control our freedom anymore, and our freedom lead us to bad side? Can we say ( pray ) to God, rule me, control over me, because I can not control my freedom which is Your gift to humanity anymore, and my freedom only lead me to sins..?

Thank You.

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 14th October 2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCelciuS View Post
A question to Ron, can we give up our freedom which is given by God, in case of we can not control our freedom anymore, and our freedom lead us to bad side? Can we say ( pray ) to God, rule me, control over me, because I can not control my freedom which is Your gift to humanity anymore, and my freedom only lead me to sins..?

No, God will never take away our free will. However, we can willingly chose obedience to God, so that we freely are led by Him. But without free will there is no love. So if God took away our free will, He would be depriving us of love. And God is Love, so He would never do that.

You can pray for grace and for the virtue of obedience to the will of God:
may Your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.

[1 Mac]
{3:60} Nevertheless, as it shall be willed in heaven, so let it be.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:51 AM

Ok, thank you Ron, I just remember about Mary, God didn't take Her free will yet She unable to sin because of full obedience to God.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:42 AM

Excelcius, thanks for sharing. Your experience of playing those games was clearly not helping you, if they were making you angry and full of hatred, as you say.

God works in mysterious ways, hence that old saying that He writes straight in crooked lines. In your case it seems that God by His providence was opening you up to His will on this matter.

When I was younger, I too enjoyed playing video games as a pastime, and I still do on occasion, but they tend to be a little bit tamer than what you're mabye used to, such as golf, for example! But I have played some that would be considered violent, and I can see now that they have a negative effect overall. The problem today in this regard can be extended to television programmes also. Much of what is broadcast today contain violence, sexual references or inuendo, and so on. All of which, slowly and subtlely works its way into people, and in effect, becoming a teacher of society. I find that soap operas, for example, are particularly notorious in this regard.

Now I don't watch television at all, really (partly due to my schedule) and I don't miss it. I can see what a great waste of time it can be sometimes.

Shane
Old 15th October 2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Thanks Excelcius for sharing your experience.

Due to today's bad influence, it is not recommended to have a TV or computer in the bedroom, it is better to have one of them in the living room where anyone can physically see us. To grow in holiness, it is recommended to read the Bible, books of the saints and blessed instead of watching too much TV, especially those programs that do not show good benefit for our souls.

Right now I'm reading Ron's Catechism of Catholic Ethics book at nights, that particularly helps me a lot instead of watching idle programming. I also recommend the book "Jesus of Nazareth" by our current Pope. Read and re-read the encyclical "Humanae Vitae". Prayer helps a lot too.

It is good for the soul and body to have amusement time!... but always in a good proportion, moderate and seeking a healthy activity.

Last edited by Brother : 15th October 2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 15th October 2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Thanks Excelcius for sharing your experience.

Due to today's bad influence, it is not recommended to have a TV or computer in the bedroom, it is better to have one of them in the living room where anyone can physically see us. To grow in holiness, it is recommended to read the Bible, books of the saints and blessed instead of watching too much TV, especially those programs that do not show good benefit for our souls.

Right now I'm reading Ron's Catechism of Catholic Ethics book at nights, that particularly helps me a lot instead of watching idle programming. I also recommend the book "Jesus of Nazareth" by our current Pope. Read and re-read the encyclical "Humanae Vitae". Prayer helps a lot too.

It is good for the soul and body to have amusement time!... but always in a good proportion, moderate and seeking a healthy activity.

Yes, we should seeking healthy activities, now what I do to replace my game time, which is usually at night, is reading this forum and listening to my favorite music, calm and blissful musics, since I can categorized myself as an audiophile, I think it's God acts also, I found great headphones to used to, I found great sound player, I found great soundcard, I think it's God's act, God have helped me to find what I desire in sound, in short, I'm satisfied with my sound system, and in every piece of it, God's that have shown me which is the best. It's just coincidence that I found this and I found that, everything seems to complete each other.

And I believe there are no coincidences or luck, simply they are God's acts which help you...

But I also need to be wise, since hobby in audio (audiophile) can take a lot of money

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 15th October 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 21st October 2010, 04:37 PM

ExCelciuS,

thanks for sharing. It can be difficult to divulge personal information and struggles with others.

I can relate also, and I am sure that anyone that grew up surrounded by technology has some level of understanding. It is amazing to think that something that appears to be so simple and straightforward can make your choices become so difficult. It ends up holding you back from spiritual progress too, as St. John of the Cross states (Ascent of Mount Carmel, page 50):

Quote:
"...Any one of these imperfections, if the soul has become attached and habituated to it, is of as great harm to its growth and progress in virtue as though it were to fall daily into many other imperfections and casual venial sins which proceed not from a habitual indulgence in any habitual and harmful attachment and will not hinder it so much as when it has attachment to anything...... For it comes to the same thing whether a bird be held by a slender cord or by a stout one; since, even if it be slender, the bird will be as well held as though it were stout, for as long as it doesn't break he cannot fly away."

-jay
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:05 AM
Bonaventure

Thanks for your honesty, Excelcius. Addictions are grueling and truly Satan will enter at our areas of weakness. Some of us are predisposed to addictions. Alcohol, drugs, food, sex, work are many addictions that can ruin holiness and interrupt our relationship to God. If we look to these things as our Higher Power and not God, we are in grave danger.

We all struggle as part of our human nature. It's easy to say what we should do but it's better when we share our human experiences and demonstrate how we grow past sinful behaviors through God's grace....
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:11 PM

Question Heart and Mind

I think, there are two words that can neutralize any heart ( psychological ) playing or addiction matters like this, that words are grateful and big heart.

Grateful for what we have ( to neutralize human hungry of more and more and more... ) , and have big heart ( whenever bitterness come... ) . At least, by thinking about this words little by little I can find a little peace in my heart.

Ron, why I feel that devils like to playing around with our heart rather than our mind, when bad desires come from our heart, it is always our mind that trying to neutralize it... , but the power of our mind in neutralizing it, is limited to some extend, and because of this we are not perfect, and still do sins even if we are trying so hard to avoid sins, but our mind power is limited..., it is like a rock damaged by continuously endlessly water drip, how long this rock can stand?

Otherwise if we can neutralize it with heart, then the power would be limitless, because to neutralize it with heart, we need graces from God.. and that power is graces from God which is come from God, whether if we use our mind, the power is from our mind not from God...

But also, good things like love and graces are works in our heart area not in our minds...

I'd rather off topic of Catholicism here, and it tends to be more philosophical, but I want to know more about heart and mind.

Do you have opinion on this?

PS. ( One word that conquers all, maybe..., it's PRAYER , but there is one problem that make prayer strength is zero, how much faith do you have in your prayer? )

This kind of philosophical things tickling me...

Thank you.

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 22nd October 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
ExCelciuS,

thanks for sharing. It can be difficult to divulge personal information and struggles with others.

I can relate also, and I am sure that anyone that grew up surrounded by technology has some level of understanding. It is amazing to think that something that appears to be so simple and straightforward can make your choices become so difficult. It ends up holding you back from spiritual progress too, as St. John of the Cross states (Ascent of Mount Carmel, page 50):

-jay

Yea, I think spiritual progress is a lifetime learning progress, I hope older I am, wiser I become...

And sometimes my mind feels sooo... soo.. tired to neutralize any bad desires ( temptations, addictions, negative thinking, anxious, worry, etc etc.. ) come from my heart ( our fallen state ) ...