CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Lay Apostolate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th November 2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default Tossing a coin...

Hi Ron,

I know a person who tosses a coin when he wants to know what God's will is in a desperate situation. Before he does it, he asks God in the name of Jesus to reveal His Will and then he tosses the coin; after that, he tosses the coin again for confirmation.

I particularly don't think that it is good practice but I would like to know your theological opinion.

Is it moraly good or evil?...
Old 15th November 2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Hi Ron,

I know a person who tosses a coin when he wants to know what God's will is in a desperate situation. Before he does it, he asks God in the name of Jesus to reveal His Will and then he tosses the coin; after that, he tosses the coin again for confirmation.

I particularly don't think that it is good practice but I would like to know your theological opinion.

Is it moraly good or evil?...

If the decision begin made is a moral decision, and the person ignores the teaching of the Church on morality as the basis for his decision, instead substituting a coin toss, then the act is gravely immoral.

This seems to be the case if the coin toss is used in 'a desperate situation'. for if both choices are moral, why is the situation desperate? Instead of a coin toss, he should find God's will by applying the teachings of the Church on morality. If he is ignorant of that teaching, then he should consult a fellow Catholic or a priest or religious who can advise him.

But if tossing a coin, or the OT practice of casting lots (similarly used by Peter to choose a new Apostle in Acts 1:26) is a choice between two morally good options, then the practice is not immoral.
Old 15th November 2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

I think his case is closer to the first option you have because last time he did it, as far as I know, was to know his vocation, whether God wants him for the priesthood or not. Perhaps he is desperate and that's why he acts this way.

I think he should confess and seek advice as you said, and I'll pray for him.

Last edited by Brother : 15th November 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator

It is not moral to decide whether or not to be a priest based on a coin toss. A priest needs to have certain qualifications, and he needs to have a certain firm understanding of his calling by God -- this cannot be based on a coin toss.
Old 15th November 2010, 08:41 PM
Administrator

"Anxiety is one of the greatest traitors that real virtue and solid devotion can ever have. . .One must be careful of this on all occasions, particularly at prayer. And to better succeed it would be well to remember that the graces and consolations of prayer are not waters of this earth, but of Heaven. Therefore all our efforts are not sufficient to make them fall, even though it is necessary to prepare oneself with great diligence but always humbly and tranquilly." - St. Padre Pio.

"Pray, hope and don't worry." - St. Padre Pio.

Last edited by Brother : 15th November 2010 at 08:44 PM.