CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Saints, Blesseds, Venerables, Causes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st January 2011, 02:38 PM

Default St. Agnes

Hello all, currently after read that story, I think, why in the old times, there are so many saints and martyrs, not like today?

What they (I am not sure this they refers to whom) had done to these people that made them sacrifice their life rather than denying their faith, who made them so brave? Holy Spirit?

If in the old times Holy Spirit's influence seems to be so strong (proved with so many saints and martyrs in the old times), what now Holy Spirit do to us?

Why Christians, especially saints and martyrs in the old times seems way far too better and braver than me (us)?

And, I'm thinking of the way those saints and martyrs died. It seems when they're about to die, they're granted with 'outer invincibility', burn proof, boil proof, invincible from hunger of lions, I mean it's kinda like 'outer invincibility', but when it comes to beheaded, they all die no matter what.

John the Babtist die by beheaded, and many saints and martyrs which are granted with 'outer invincibility' was die by beheaded too...

Is there something special with beheaded?

If God grants 'outer invincibility' why He didn't grant 'true invincibility' to them?

And
Quote:
Since she was very beautiful, many young men wished to marry Agnes, but she would always say, Jesus Christ is my only Spouse.
there is tendency for celibate woman to think that Jesus is their only Spouse, to think it psychologically, maybe when they become so close with their faith and there is only one figure that is prime, they began to think that Jesus is their only Spouse (in spiritual of course), and this think could made them more steady in their celibacy...

Think, how many priests deny their celibacy and how many nuns deny their celibacy? I think woman is more steady in this celibacy things than man, dunno why...?

Thanks. Comments and answers are welcome

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 21st January 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 21st January 2011, 05:43 PM
Administrator

No, there is nothing special about beheading. The martyrs of the Church died from many different causes. Only a few persons have been miraculously preserved from death (e.g. John the Apostle boiled in oil without harm). This is not a type of invincibility, but a particular miraculous event. If God wished a Saint not to be killed by beheading, He would prevent the beheading from occurring at all.

There is no reason to think that women are inherently any better at keeping a vow of celibacy than men. Although a woman religious may see herself as married to Jesus, a man religious or priest may see himself as married to the Church.
Old 21st January 2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hi Excelcius,

Thanks for sharing that story regarding St. Agnes life.

I think there are many Saints in the world today, people who are doing supernatural things out of love for God and neighbor. The thing is that we learn of only a few of them currently, we will learn from them later on in our lives, or our future generations will learn from them, but we don't. Also, there are many saints that we may never hear from them at all.

The Sprit is present. Faith is a gift, but we shall merit it. Martyrs do not necessarily mean people who gets physically slaughter or murdered because of our faith. Martyr means witness, therefore, we are all called to be martyrs.

What made people such as St. Agnes prefer death rather than worldly things?.. it is because she was a witness of God, she was fully convinced that nothing is greater than God, that nothing compares to Him and that His reward in Heaven is priceless.
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:22 PM

.....and today's saint, Saint Vincent, is yet another example of how these faith-filled people preferred suffering and death to that which opposes God.

Joey