CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Lay Apostolate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th April 2011, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default "Lost in Translation" Issue with the Youth Catechism

Ron,

According the the English language version, the following is the correct translation of the above mentioned book:

Quote:
Ignatius Press' English-language YouCat poses the question, “May a Christian married couple regulate the number of children they have?” It gives the answer: “Yes, a Christian married couple may and should be responsible in using the gift and privilege of transmitting life.”

Source:
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...original-text/

I haven't read this book, so there may be more explanations, and I know that it is targeted to young people so it uses a simpler language, but would the answer to this specific question be a bit vague?...

If I'm not mistaken, the Church teaches that a married couple may be allowed to the possibility to regulate (or space out) the number of their children but only under grave circumstances or reasons not associated with the deliverate intention to vehemently prevent conception which will turn the case to become evil.

IMHO, think the bolded part is important and should be included in the answer to that same question (again, I haven't read this book, so it may be explained on another question).

I say this because many secular people think they are "responsible" by not being open to the possibility of having many children. Many say, one or two are enough and they are close to the idea of more children and they may use NFP but as a way to contracept, aiming at not having more children at all, aiming their own worldly desires (which is evil) and believe they do "what the Church teaches".
Old 12th April 2011, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Church teaches that a married couple may be allowed to the possibility to regulate (or space out) the number of their children but only under grave circumstances or reasons not associated with the deliverate intention to vehemently prevent conception which will turn the case to become evil.

No, a couple do not need a grave reason to use NFP to regulate births. They only need a proportionate reason. So if they are spacing births, they need a lesser reason than if they are attempting to avoid all conception (which would generally require a grave reason).

If an older couple (still fertile) has several children, and wish to use NFP strictly to attempt to avoid all conception, they would need only a just reason; in other words, they only need a reason with a proportional degree of seriousness in their circumstances.

See my post here:
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/0...mily-planning/
Old 13th April 2011, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Ah, ok, thank you Ron for the enlightenment in this matter.
Old 13th April 2011, 02:13 PM

Default motive always seems key...

As is so often the case, the motive seems central to this discussion....
Old 13th April 2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Intention (motive) is the first font, because it is the beginning of moral and immoral acts. A person has an intended end (a motive or a reason for acting), and he then chooses an act (second font) that he thinks will achieve his intended end. And this choice is made knowing that some good and possibly some bad consequences will result (third font).
Old 13th April 2011, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Here is an article that explains the translation error:

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/sto...ns/1101460.htm

The German and English versions said something like, can a marriage couple regulate birth, but the Italian version said can they use contraception. All the versions answered 'Yes.' The italian verison has been withdrawn from publication, to fix this issue.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:07 PM

This article:

http://www.youcatrecall.com/index.php/the-recall

alleges some serious errors in the new youth catechism for WYD. One of these cited concerns Biblical inerrancy, for example.
Old 15th August 2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
This article:

http://www.youcatrecall.com/index.php/the-recall

alleges some serious errors in the new youth catechism for WYD. One of these cited concerns Biblical inerrancy, for example.

There are some serious doctrinal problems with the Youth Catechism. But I don't agree with some of the claims by the anonymous authors of that website. I also have less regard for this type of criticism when it is anonymous.

The website goes too far in claiming what the teaching of the YouCat should have been on evolution, on science, and on the historicity and interpretation of the first chapters of Genesis. The Magisterium has not decided certain questions that the website treats as settled doctrine.

On the other hand, the website is correct to point out the problems on inerrancy, on sexual ethics, and perhaps other points.