CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2011, 01:30 PM
supporting member

Default farm

After 3 years of searching, I finally purchased a small farm in my area. It is 55 acres with a 19th century farmhouse in need of repair on the property. There is a water well adjacent to the house as well as water from the area aqua system. We hope to grow our own food on this land. There is a rural Catholic Church 3 miles from the farm in Rockne Texas!
Old 6th July 2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Awesome! I would love to be able to grow my own food. Right now, all I have is some tomato and pepper plants, and a couple of pumpkin plants.
Old 6th July 2011, 03:31 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Well, fellow remnant, now we know where there is a refuge!!!! LOL
Congratulations and the very best for your future at your new home. God bless you in this great undertaking.
Joan
Old 6th July 2011, 09:17 PM

We grow potatoes in the corner of a field on our farm, a few drills to last a few months, and we also have some turnips, cabbages and onions. The whole area for these might be the size of a modest garden.

It's amazing what can grow with just a relatively small amount of land.

The potatoes don't last long once they come through the door, though.
Old 7th July 2011, 04:43 AM
supporting member

Default long term investment

Good news Sammy. Have you consider long term energy saving solutions for irrigation, tool powering, etc from natural resources? Solar or Wind energy can be a big investment at the onset but could pay itself in a few years if not less.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:13 AM
supporting member

Congratulations, Sammy! That's wonderful news. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Gardening has been more challenging for me than I had thought, even with my small patio. Finding the right balance of soil amendments and light has been interesting! The heat has fried my blueberry plants, but maybe they'll come back next year. We'll see! Tomatoes in a container have been okay.

Good luck to you! And, God bless you!
Old 7th July 2011, 11:42 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP33mercynow View Post
Good news Sammy. Have you consider long term energy saving solutions for irrigation, tool powering, etc from natural resources? Solar or Wind energy can be a big investment at the onset but could pay itself in a few years if not less.

Yes, I would like to be a position to not have to rely on the power grid someday.
Old 18th August 2011, 09:14 PM
supporting member

Farm update: New roof and new fence done. Electrical system rewired. Water well tests at 30 gallons per minute which is good is spite of the drought we are in. Water is of high quality.

I give this update to motivate each of you to start modest preparations if you have not begun.
Old 19th August 2011, 03:32 PM
supporting member

Ron,

We are moving across the country starting today to Princeton, NJ which is near NYC. My husband has a one-year appointment at the Institute. Do you really think there is a likelihood of a nuclear attack on NYC during this academic year?
Old 19th August 2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
Ron,

We are moving across the country starting today to Princeton, NJ which is near NYC. My husband has a one-year appointment at the Institute. Do you really think there is a likelihood of a nuclear attack on NYC during this academic year?

At this point in time, I am not sure when that attack will occur. If the 'Arab Spring' results in extremists taking control of all the Arab/Muslim nations of the Middle East and northern Africa, then I will conclude that the attack will occur relatively soon afterward. If it takes longer for them to take control, then the attack will not occur until later.

In any case, I'm certain that there will be plenty of warning in advance, plenty of time for us to realize that the attack is imminent, before it actually occurs. The world in general will be caught by surprise, but they really should not be. So don't worry. Live wherever God's Providence takes you. I will let everyone know when I think the attack is imminent, probably months in advance of the event.