CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Websites
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th August 2011, 04:07 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Default Behavior at Mass

I thought this article was pretty much on the money. Being a bit of a fuss-budget I must admit that there are some typos but all in all a good rule of thumb.

http://catholicexchange.com/2011/08/29/157656/print/
Old 31st August 2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Fair enough! .... thank you for sharing!

It's good to behave and dress appropriately at the Eucharist celebration; it is a visible sign of what is going on. If someone is going to meet the president at the White House dressed appropriately, then, even more so going to Mass for our intimate encounter with God. Our Lord is humble and mercy but, come on, don't disrespect or abuse Him.
Old 31st August 2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Some time ago, I observed a young woman in our parish on two occasions at Mass. On the one occasion, she was (inexplicably) performing a piece of classical music for the congregation (I think it was just before Mass). She wore a nice dress for her performance. Then on another occasion, she was one of the lectors. She wore jeans and a sweatshirt.
Old 31st August 2011, 07:25 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

I went to confession one Saturday afternoon a few yrs ago and there was a wedding party waiting to have pics taken. All the bridesmaids were sitting in the first pew in a line and from the back of the church it looked like all they had on was a hat!!! I am sure they were quite fashionable but how grossly inappropriate.
Old 31st August 2011, 10:07 PM
Bonaventure

On the bridal note, so many brides come down the aisle in shoulderless dresses.
My mother wouldn't even let me wear a short sleeve on my bridal gown unless I wore a jacket for our nuptial mass. How times have changed.
Old 31st August 2011, 10:38 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Where are those mothers now when we need them most?
Old 31st August 2011, 11:12 PM

Default Dress at Mass

Here's something from a Parish bulletin:

"PLANS FOR PARISH SWIMMING POOL SCRAPPED! After much study, our finance committee has determined it would not be feasible to construct an indoor swimming pool in our church. ... As a result, we can now announce with certainty that those who have been arriving for Mass as if dressed for the pool need not do so. Also, we hope to keep the air conditioning cranking all summer long. So you do not need to wear shorts, halter tops or bikinis to Mass."
Old 31st August 2011, 11:45 PM
Administrator

This type of inappropriate attire is particularly a problem at churches in vacation spots.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:23 AM
TheGiftOfLife

I think there needs to be an article for priests and what litugical abuses they should not be doing at Mass. We have so many more deep rooted issues that are not so surfacy as clothing. Our Masses today display so many qualities of protestantism.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:48 AM
Jeanne D'Arc

You are absolutely right, Gift. Funny thing is, the people who go to those real Protestant churches take pride in wearing their "Sunday-Go-To-Meeting Clothes" and would never presume to dress inappropriately! Still, there is a level of respect in our church that has been breached and once you become sloppy with your appearance, a lot of of other behaviors follow. It's the human condition.