CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Catholic Websites
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st September 2011, 10:41 AM

When I was in Lourdes recently, the Poor Clare sisters at the monastery there refused to let in anyone who was dressed inappropriately, ie. in t-shirts and shorts, and made no exceptions.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:01 PM

Even if there is no air conditioning (for whatever reason), it is much hotter in Hell; so one should dress with dignity and respect.
Old 1st September 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Even if there is no air conditioning (for whatever reason), it is much hotter in Hell; so one should dress with dignity and respect.

Brother: HAAAA! Great one!
Shane: The churches in Europe and the Vatican does not allow certain dress. There is NO REASON whey every single Catholic church cant do the same.

Jeanne: Have I told you that I loved you before, Oh yes I have! - you are an amazing women!
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:06 PM

To be honest, I think Islam is better about how to dress at their worship place (mosque), and I mean it's jilbab not burqa, burqa is too extreme in my opinion, but jilbab is fit properly and modest.

I'm not promoting anything here, just showing some examples about jilbab.
Old 3rd September 2011, 04:46 AM
Default Eternal unemployment is not a pleasant idea !

I like the idea that one should dress for Mass as one would for a job interview. After all, this is an eternity interview !

I know that sometimes I am guilty of not following the best dress code out of sheer laziness or carelessness. I have to work on this area.
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:37 AM

Our priest always talks about this from the pulpit. He says quite simply, if you were going to meet the Queen of England...would you wear shorts and a t shirt? No! Why? Because you wouldn't be allowed to be in her presence in that attire. So why then, do you come to your King dressed like that? Your heavenly King? You should dress as if your Heavenly King was sitting right amongst us, because He is!
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:36 AM

It is true that we should have some concern about proper dress at Mass.

But how our soul is dressed is far more important.

{22:10} And his servants, departing into the ways, gathered all those whom they found, bad and good, and the wedding was filled with guests.
{22:11} Then the king entered to see the guests. And he saw a man there who was not clothed in a wedding garment.
{22:12} And he said to him, ‘Friend, how is it that you have entered here without having a wedding garment?’ But he was dumbstruck.
{22:13} Then the king said to the ministers: ‘Bind his hands and feet, and cast him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
{22:14} For many are called, but few are chosen.’ ”

I know that many Catholics, even a majority, are in a state of material heresy. They deliberately reject one or more definitive teachings of the Church (esp. on issues pertaining to sexuality: abortion, contraception, same-sex marriage, etc.).
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:14 PM

I would also like to add that while we ought to dress in our best for Sunday Mass, clean, modest clothes of any nature are not inappropriate for a weekday Mass. I can't imagine that the King would be offended if His workers showed up in their work clothes before heading off to their daily assignments.
Old 5th September 2011, 06:28 AM

Ironically, the British left the church in India a colloquialism to that effect which reflected the highest regard for propriety in church attire :

SUNDAY BEST!...meaning you reserved the best clothes you possessed for wearing at Sunday mass! Its a pity now that Best now refers to highest 'haute couture'!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:12 AM

I was in Afghanistan for Holy Week of 2010 and just come off of a combat mission- hardly in my best uniform and very dirty and tired. I felt very embarassed for looking as I did, considering most of the others in attendance had duties on the base as opposed to out of the wire. The priest asked me if I would volunteer to have my feet washed and I was mortified. He pointed out that the Apostle's feet couldn't have been any cleaner than mine!

My point here is that it seems clear that Ron's point is the most important: the state of our soul should be our first concern. And if we take that seriously enough, we wouldn't want to bring ourselves before the King at anything less than our level best.
"For the Lord has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." -2 Timothy 1:7