CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th April 2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

a. separation: one person lives a full normal life, the other dies

b. no separation: both live, but their quality of life is greatly reduced; they suffer (not merely by pain) the loss of normal activity and participation in life. This bad consequence for two lives is very substantial.

Talking about a case where Siamese can live united and a surgery will definitely kill one of the brothers.

I think these cases are broader because one person may live but not necessarily will have a full normal life, the person living may have one of his body members amputated, internal organs reduced, etc. Also, in the case of both living but united together, their quality of life is reduced but will not necessarily be depressing. Parents are obligated to pass on the Faith to their children, to let them know that we all bear crosses and that there is a God, a Father who takes care of them, and provides for them. One never knows if there could be the first case of Siamese Twin Saints. Or, if in the future, with the advance of science, there could be a new procedure where they can be separated and potentially save both lives.
Old 11th April 2012, 03:55 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Talking about a case where Siamese can live united and a surgery will definitely kill one of the brothers.

I think these cases are broader because one person may live but not necessarily will have a full normal life, the person living may have one of his body members amputated, internal organs reduced, etc. Also, in the case of both living but united together, their quality of life is reduced but will not necessarily be depressing. Parents are obligated to pass on the Faith to their children, to let them know that we all bear crosses and that there is a God, a Father who takes care of them, and provides for them. One never knows if there could be the first case of Siamese Twin Saints. Or, if in the future, with the advance of science, there could be a new procedure where they can be separated and potentially save both lives.

Very insightful Brother.

I guess it just cements that we live in a fallen, non-perfect world where much evil exists. I was praying the Hail Holy Queen today and the words "and after this our EXILE..." really hit home.
We really are all in exile here and if i could escape it right now and be guaranteed purgatory, I would opt out!